Saturday, May 31, 2008

Garage Sale Fun!

First things first!

Heather is the lucky winner of the wine charms, guessing dead on that thirteen is Wendy's favorite number. Heather, if it's ok... I will present them to you in person when I see you in Texas on Monday. Can't wait! Thanks to everyone else for participating. Stay tuned for the next Freebie Friday, coming your way sooner than later.

This week was dedicated to the idea that one man's trash is another man's treasure. It seems only fitting then, that today... Saturday... we would finish the week off by celebrating a great American tradition. Garage Sales!

To be honest, I have never been an avid garage-sale-goer. I spend a good majority of time trying to get rid of things in my house, so shopping garage sales in order to purchase something that will pass back over my threshold has minimal appeal.

I do, however, have one fond memory of a garage sale. When I was in college my mother visited a garage sale and bought an old pair of lace gloves. When she got the gloves home she reached her hand inside and pulled out $1,600! My mother was generous enough to divide the money up between me and my two sisters. How about you? Do you have a good garage sale story?

And, if you don't have a story... how about a favorite garage sale tip for buyers or sellers? Tis the season for garage sales, so the more information we have the better.

Today I will stop at a garage sale! I will stop on behalf of highlowaha and our next fun venture... beginning bright and early on Monday morning. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for (isn't that a song?), but... oh, I'll know it when I see it! Tune in Monday to find out what I bought and why.

In the meantime, why not veer from your original plans for the day and spontaneously stop at a garage sale you see advertised along the road. Not in the market for anything? Then, how about magazines, bottle caps, and National Geographics for Wendy... or better yet, an old pair of purple cowboy boots for our favorite New Yawka, Maureen.

Signing off until Monday...

4 comments:

Cheryl Houston said...

I always say that I'm going to have a garage sale but never do. I usually wind up throwing stuff away or putting in the charity pile. And here's why... they're a lot of work for a small amount usually on a day that is supposed to be a day off where eventually you don't get rid of everything and have to box it up for trash or charity anyway. AYH!!! It's too stressful for me. I also hate the haggling end of it, too.

Going to garage sales is fine. The only thing I don't like is you really need to be an early bird to get the "good stuff".

My aunt and uncle used to go every weekend. I don't know if they still do or not. My mom has picked up stuff from garage sales, too. I must just be too lazy :)

Brian K. Root said...

my tip - ALWAYS, always suggest a lower price. If people are really wanting to get rid of things, they'll gladly accept a reasonable offer.

My favorite "yard sales" are FLEA MARKETS! love them.

my aunt and i used to go to three flea markets a week when i was a child. She would go to auctions, purchase items in bulk, and resell them at flea markets. So, I have a rich history in flea market and yard/garage sale experiences.

maureen said...

Claudia, as I read this I laugh because my mom and Aunt Carol are having their garage sale. They usually make about 500 dollars each. Im surprised my mom hasnt tried to sell my dad and the dog yet... Who knows maybe she did....
I'm not crazy for garage sales. I like everything brand new and all crisp and shiny. I love shopping too much to spend my weekend hoping I find a great buy at someones yard sale!

Cheryl Houston said...

$500!!!!!!!!!!!! EACH!!!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me? They must have some good stuff for sale! I have never, ever made $1,000 at a garge sale. LOL!