Saturday, May 10, 2008

How Fascinating!

Today I am homeward bound after being gone from home for seven straight days.  It is a long time to be away from family, but as I've mentioned throughout the week it is well worth the investment.  These students from St. Edwards represent our future, so what could be more important than spending time developing them as young adults.  I can't think of a single thing.  ... Except maybe hugs from all my boys.

The ritual on the last night of Leadershape is for each of the Family Clusters to perform skits.   The only criteria is that they must include one leadership concept, assigned to them earlier in the day.  The skits are always very creative and help illuminate which points made over six days and eighty-four hours worth of content are most memorable. 
 
You can imagine with so much air time in front of these students that my co-lead and I were are fair game for lots of poking and prodding.  After all... to keep these students engaged we had to pull out a lot of stops.  We found ourselves doing things we might otherwise never do... start the wave, sing My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean, and start the Conga Line.  Then of course there are all the things that aren't intended to be funny, but, that after six days, are quickly turned into a parody.  These are things such as impersonators of my co-lead entering the stage with a Diet Pepsi in hand (the drink he could not be found without); me wearing the same black sweat shirt I wore all week; hand gestures; and inflections to our voices.  It made for a fun-filled night with lots of laughter.

The one phrase that seemed to stick out most to students throughout the week, as made evident in their skits, was from a video they watched titled, "Radiating Possibility."  The video tells of passionate man who teaches young students in the New England Conservatory.  He makes five major points about life... "Live in the Front Row of Your Life," "See Mistakes as Fascinating," "Quiet Your Inner Voice," "Live in Possibility," and "Realize It Is All Invented."  
 
In the video he describes the importance of taking risks and not being scared to make mistakes. He,  in fact, demonstrates what one ought to do when they make a mistake.  He throws his hands in the air, raises his eyebrows, and then in a high-pitched and enthusiastic voice exclaims, "How fascinating!"  His rationale... mistakes are actually very similar to successes.  We learn when we do something well and we learn just as much when we make a mistake.  Both are valuable learning experiences.  So... "how fascinating!" 

I made lots of mistakes this past week and when I get back to Grapevine later today will embark on a whole new week of mistake-making.  But, I'm invigorated.  I am rejuvenated by the idea that I have high hopes and lots of vision.  The future of Highlowaha is bright and with the creativity and enthusiasm of this readership, we will do something big.  What, I don't know. What mistakes will we make a long the way?  I don't know that either.  But, you can be sure they will be fascinating.

Signing off until Monday....  Tomorrow I will take a well-deserved break and get re-connected with the other job I love so much... that of being a mother!

8 comments:

maureen said...

Hi Claudia, first of all I want to wish you a very Happy Mother's Day. I hope you get to sit and relax with your "guys". I didnt post yesterday but I did read and wanted to tell you that a way you can reach out to communities is through the kids. I told you about the GS patch programs. How about one that girls can reach out and bring their own community together. I know that I seem to keep bringing GS into everything but its "what I do". Let me know if you want me to start working on something here in NY. Otherwise to all you "moms" or "moms to be" have a wonderful Mother's Day. Sit back and enjoy each moment ..... you deserve it!

Melissa Rose said...

Hi Claudia, I told mommy that this is like Facebook for adults. Mommy tells me Im addicted to Facebook but every time I check on her shes on highlowaha... Just wanted to wish you a Happy Mothers Day! I cant tell you what we got for mom because she is one of your "groupies" Ha Ha.....

Melissa Rose said...

OOPS it was Krysten not Melissa I was on the wrong user name sorry!!!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Thanks Peres family for filling my blog with thoughtful sentiments today. I just returned from Leadershape and gave my boys a bath. As for me... I intend to kick my shoes off and relax.

Happy Mother's Day to your remarkable mother, Krysten and Melissa. Can't wait to hear about her treat.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day, Claudia... and all you other moms in the readership!! FYI, Lucian's getting out of the hospital tomorrow (the best gift I could ever hope for!), and we should be back home within a week.

When will you be in town for another visit so we can go to Moe's??

Dawn said...

Hi Claudia, It is a blast from the past, Dawn (from High School). Maureen told me about your website and I decided to check it out. First of all, congrats on being a mom of 3 boys, and Happy Mother's day to you. I have two daughters ages 12 and 15. IT's hard to believe that I have a child in High School. My husband and I own a home improvements business here in Tennessee. My husband operates the business, and I work full time at a hospital. I really like your website. It seems like a good place to realte with other busy moms. Enjoy your day :).

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Dawn, How nice to get an update on your life since high school. I'm sure you know (thanks to Maureen) that I lived in Louisville for a while. Just up the road from you.

I hope you'll continue to check the website. I happen to know there are at least a few other mothers who have teenage children. Maybe you can use the site as a place to commiserate... AND get good ideas!

Katie said...

Happy Mother's Day to Claudia and all the other mothers who are out there reading today!!!