Friday, May 2, 2008

Free for All Friday: Highs, Lows, and Ahas

T.G.I.F. I figured I would take the liberty of finishing out the week in my favorite way - through the lens of high, low, and aha.

HIGHS: There are many.
  • Let's start out with the fact that I just came from Cheryl's house where we ate yummy ice cream and spent an hour and a half brainstorming the specifics of, "Taste of USA," our upcoming tour of the country. Cheryl has accepted the position of PR director (to be renamed something far more creative in the near future) for this initiative (and hopefully all others coming down the pike). I had NO idea when I recruited her the extent of her talent and creativity. All I can say is, hold onto your seats. What we unveil in the next week or so is going to be something else.
  • Treye coming up with the O'-so-fun idea of developing our very own Highlowaha mascot to travel the world, instead of Flat Stanley. I'm not totally willing to turn my back on Flat Stanley yet, but if we don't hear from Helena in the next week or so we will be in the hunt for something new.
  • I reinforced in my own mind, that while I am not good at a million things... I am an excellent talent scout. I can spot talent from a mile away and if I'm really on... I figure out a way to plug into it and then capitalize on it. Such is the case with so many of you... my loyal readers!
  • We finally found out what was the matter with Matthew. He was under the weather because he has pneumonia! Yup, pneumonia in May... who would have thought it? I've listed it under highs, because we finally know what is the matter and he's already on the mend.
LOW:
  • Matthew has pneumonia.
  • While I might be a great talent scout... I am a crummy fundraiser! Heather blew the Big Give Challenge out of the water by turning her $20.00 into something in the ball park of $450.00. My plan... due to my poor planning (a classic case of turning a project into something far more complicated than it had to be) was a flop. Yesterday I mailed Melanie a check for $210.00, only $120.00 of which came from my Big Give. And trust me when I say... Cassie, my loyal and creative sister in-law was responsible for whatever success we had. So, thanks to Cassie and my apologies to Melanie... and Artnme for being under-delivering on your great and generous idea! Truly impressive.

  • Heather is getting a real haircut today.
AHA
  • Creativity is Contagious! I have been blown away by all the creative ideas and creative energy moving its way through highlowaha. I've seen it time and time again and it is holding true here... people are drawn to the energy and enthusiasm of others. So, keep the great ideas coming

Now for the Free for All...

Last week we had two people post issues for which the would like group feedback. First came Anonymous who is looking for fun ways to tell her husband she is pregnant (when the time comes). Heather and Stacie, loyal readers and baby-lovers posted a number of great suggestions last Friday. Here are a few from me...
  • Set the table for an extra person, with a baby spoon and maybe a bottle.
  • Blind fold him for a mystery trip to Babies-R-Us where once you arrive his eyes are uncovered and you can register.
  • In the dead of night, sneak a new car seat in his car to be discovered the next morning.
  • My husband, Richard's contribution... "Throw his golf clubs away."
  • Also... if you are of the "find out sex of child ahead of time"school of thought, you could create celebration around that too. With each of my boys, I brought home an blue and white ice cream cake reading, "It's a boy!" Then the whole family could sit around and celebrate and get excited while sharing dessert.
I feel certain our readers will generate some more before the day is over.

Second, Cheryl's dilemma. Once again... challenging. She purchased a second hand mirror that she wants to redo and hang somewhere in her house. The mirror is made from an old window frame. Cheryl likes a somewhat rustic or distressed look, but is open to lots of ideas. Cassie and two Jessica's provided some good ideas last week. Check out the Friday (4/25) posts for specifics As for me... I'm LIMITED on the home decorating front, so again... being an excellent talent scout... I contacted a couple of interior designers I know and begged them to post before the day is over. My one suggestion...

I worked with a woman, Rebecca, who had a similarly sized window frame in her office that was otherwise window-less! She did something I thought was incredibly ingenious and I swore I would steal the idea some day. She enlarged a beautiful picture of a New England road canvassed in beautiful fall leaves and mounted it to the back side of the window. It hung over her computer, so whenever she looked out her "window" she saw this breathtaking view. Do you have a favorite season, location, scene... something that brings you peace and tranquility?How about photographing the location and putting it right outside your window?

Signing off until tomorrow... (remember... Dine by Design themes will be listed).

12 comments:

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

We have somone working on Idaho and someone else working on West Virginia. This leaves only Wyoming, South Dakota, and Montana.

Connectors, where are you?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

I want to know why me getting a hair cut is in your lows...I thought you were JAZZED that I was getting it done.

More ideas for the FFAF:

Baby:
-Park in the expectant mothers spot at your local mall/babies r us etc...and when your husband points out that you can't park there inform him that you can.

-Tell your DH there's something in your oven...put a bun in there and he'll eventually get the point--the maybe with some prodding

-Give him spaghetti and sauce and use Prego...ask him to look at the jar to see what kind it is...you should have put Anonymous is above the label so it reads Anonymous is Prego.

-Give him a t-shirt that says Soon to be the World's Best Dad

-Buy a piggy bank and tell him it is your child's college fund...you only have 18 years and 9 months to save.

OR my favorite way and this works for your family too.
Get a picture of the two of you sometime after you are pregnant (the beauty of digital cameras is you can take it as soon as you find out). Give it to whomever you are telling with a card that says,
Digital Camera: $300, Photoprocessing: 19 cents
Finding out there are actually 3 people in this picture: Priceless

For Cheryl and her window mirror:
How about taking off the flowers and making that portion of the mirror the bottom of the new creation and adding a row of hooks to hang your boys jackets, keys, etc...

Anonymous said...

CKB-I think $150 is pretty darn good from $20!

Patrick really wins the grand prize because he took his $20...got his co-workers to chip in $20 each to mail to each of us and has turned his $20 into the combined totals of all of our efforts.

Anonymous said...

I'm not feeling overly creative today...must be the "dreary Erie" weather today.

Here are my thoughts on both of today's FFAFs.

Baby:
There have been several suggestions to do something in public. Now I'm no expert on being prego, but I'm not sure that will fly too well. I would imagine that he'd like to find out in the privacy of his own home so you two can celebrate together.

As on the oh-so-famous "Full House" when Becky tells Jesse she's prego she had dinner with "baby" back ribs, "baby" veggies and "baby" something else. See if he picks up on it.

Mirror/Window:
All week I've been thinking about this one and I don't like it being just a mirror or just a window. Have you thought about alternating glass with mirror in every other space? Or you could put some type of art in there. Use it more as a collage than just one thing.

Alright...I'm all creative-ed out!

Happy Friday to all...

maureen said...

Being someone who was trying to get pregnant as soon as I got married, there wasnt anything I could do to surprise Chris. If I even started a sentence with the words "guess what" he would answer "YOURE PREGNANT"..... Needless to say my first 2 pregnancies were not a surprise.. My 3rd child's conception is sill an "unsolved mystery". Best of luck however you decide to tell him.... He will be elated!!!!!!

Cheryl Houston said...

I just don't know what that old window frame wants to be anymore. I originally thought I just wanted to replace the topper with something more updated. I thought I wanted to keep that rustic, flaky paint style but... it might be nice sanded and either stained or painted. I can't remember who but someone sugessted it being a table but I'm still not sure.

I think my first goal with it is to get all of the stuff off of the top. Then, list all the suggestions and live with them for a while and see what happens. So, don't stop with the suggestions.

One last thing. I am so excited about being a part of Claudia's State Roll Call Event. It's going to be fun. I expect everyone's cheerful participation. So, dust off your pom-poms and support your state!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Cheryl... one more comment from me about window/mirror. You complimented Cassie on her curio coffee table. Suggestions have been made to turn your mirror into a table... and because it has the window panes (though currently filled with glass), maybe you could turn it into a curio coffee table. It will give you a place to display many of your kids/family momentos. My mother in law has one too and she has in it, first stitches and all sorts of stuff. All the grand kids love looking through it.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't good at telling my husband that I was pregnant, but he was good at surprising others. At Halloween I wore a t-shirt with a big plus sign and the letters EPT. Another time we had a party (yes another Struble party) where everyone had to wear pink or blue depending on what they thought the baby was. I broke the news to Matt by telling him to get home from work early and stop at Walgreens on his way home. Yes, not too creative, but it worked. The hard part is keeping the news from others for the first 3 months.
Personally I like Richard's comment about the golf clubs, but I would add the no sleeping in on weekends and falling asleep by 10 pm on most nights.

Cheryl Houston said...

When do we get to see Heather's hair?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Heather's hair will be debuted tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

and why is heather's hair cut on your "lows" list???!!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Yes... for all of you wondering... Heather getting her hair cut was not meant to be on my low list. It is, in fact, a HGIH. If there were to be anything low about it, it would be that I am not there to see it first hand.

Heather who footed the bill, on the other hand, might want to list it among her "lows" for the day.