Friday, May 23, 2008

Free For All Friday: Tents, Tiaras, Timely and Thoughtful Tips, and Taste...of USA

As you can tell by the title - which is nothing less than a novel - there is A LOT of Free-For-All-ing to do today.  I don't want to waste any time before letting the devoted and creative readership of highlowaha get busy doing what you do best... sharing your collective creativity.

If you're new to highlowaha or just new to our Friday ritual, today is the day we brainstorm solutions to topics raised by you the readers.  Put on your creative caps and get ready to contribute.  Or let us know a topic for which you would like highlowaha's input and I will make a note to cover it next week. 
 
Here we go.  Let me set the stage...

TENTS:  Andrea is hosting her son's sixth birthday party in two weeks.  The party will have a CARNIVAL theme.  She strikes me as organized, so I wasn't surprised to learn that Andrea already has a number of games selected for the children to play.  What we are brainstorming today are things such as: decorations, food options, treat bags, prizes, and novelty items she might have on hand... basically anything that helps create the ultimate carnival ambiance.

TIARAS: Maureen, our loyal reader from New Yawk is already in the midst of making plans for her daughter's Sweet Sixteen extravaganza... in FEBRUARY!  I might live in Texas where everything is supposed to be bigger, but I feel comfortable in saying...we miss the boat on birthday parties.  Apparently in portions of the country Sweet Sixteens are quite a formal ordeal with male and female friends serving on the "court" and participating in some ceremonial activity.  This is Maureen's first time going through the whole Sweet Sixteen Court Ceremony, so if there is anyone out there with a clue about what this is supposed to entail, do share.  I'm guessing many of us will get a kick out of reading it (mostly because it sounds a little like wedding planning) and Maureen can certainly use your help.

TIMELY AND THOUGHTFUL TIPS: We've had whisperings throughout the week of people sharing a favorite acts of kindness they have performed (paying for the person behind you, etc...), but how about formally opening today's lines to share all the examples we can think of.  There are still two full days left to the week.  With some of your random act ideas, we can still do a lot of "damage" before week's end.  Here's another one of my favorite things to do...  I love to spend ten dollars on $1.00 lottery tickets at the gas station and randomly distribute them to people, while wishing them good fortune.

TASTE OF USA:  We made it through the first week of Taste of USA, thanks to the able work of Cheryl our Cruise Director and Katie our Bean Counter.  So, here's what happens today... the first REAL day of competition.  Residents of Alabama, New Mexico, Texas, D.C., Massachusetts, and Hawaii should:
  • Click on the Taste of USA icon in the top right hand corner of my blog.
  • Go the Comments section immediately under Cheryl's post for today (6/23)
  • Tell us what your state is made of.  Do this by telling us a place you'd love to take me should your state win and I end up traveling to your city. 
  • ONLY residents of the state should be making posts today!  Be sure to let us know from which state you are hailing.
BRIEF ANNOUNCEMENTS:
  • Starbucks Update:  I went to Starbucks this morning at 8:30 a.m. and the books WERE STILL THERE and... placed back in a perfect stack!
  • This morning there was an article in the Dallas Morning News telling of Herb Kelleher's retirement after 31 years as Chairmen of Southwest Airlines.  Here's a quote from one of the many pilots employed by the company.  "I still have personal notes written by Herb," he said.  I can't imagine any other executive having time to do that or taking the time to do that."  Yet again, affirmation that a simple note packs a powerful punch.
The lines for brainstorming are officially open...

Signing off until tomorrow...

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most wedding stores sell tiaras. They come in all colors of stones. They can be very simple or huge and ornate. I found that the smaller store have a larger selection.
Good luck and Happy shopping.
Did you pick a Texas date yet?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Cassie... I trust you are still gathering your many thoughts about carnivals. As a professional party planner, we're looking to you for council on how to turn Andrea's party into a real live carnival. And yes, Maureen... feel free to make a trip to Dallas so that Cassie and I can take you from one small novelty store to another in search of the perfect tiara.

Anonymous said...

Andrea, Oriental Trading sells a bunch of cheap carnival themed things. Here's the link http://www.orientaltrading.com/. On the first page you'll see a link to "carnival." There's probably something there to spark your interest.

The only thing I know about Sweet Sixteen parties is what I've seen on MTV's My Super Sweet Sixteen. Very scary!! I'll look more into it and throw out some ideas if I come up with anything.

maureen said...

Boy are you ladies tempting me!!!!! I am so in need of a vacation. God knows Claudia has gone above and beyond in the "friendship" department. I would love an afternoon of laughing about our teen years. Cassie I may not have known you but like any teen girl you must have some pretty funny stories. Mine are more like "war stories".

HEY CBK WHATS UP WITH THE NEW YAWK??? Y'ALL

Cassie, I have videographers, limo companies, photography studios and florists calling me. I dont know what is keeping me out of the bridal shops.... My daughter has very elegant taste so Im afraid to know what her crown will cost..... Her face was pricesless when I told her maybe I would make one....

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Andrea... the thing my husband and boys most like about carnivals are the CORN DOGS. Consider corn dogs and french fries as part of your menu. It would be really fun if you could serve them in the white paper wrappers they are typically served on... or maybe even the card board food trays you get at places like movie theaters.

A popcorn machine feels like a must. I wonder from where you might be able to rent or borrow one. Target sells fun red, white, and yellow cardboard popcorn containers in which it could be served.

We went to Grapevine Days last weekend (carnival like atmosphere) and many of the kids were running around with their faces painted.

I'll send more your way as I think of more.

Ok... one more thing... it seems like it would be fun if there was someone at the door greeting kids, almost as though they were taking tickets and "admitting" them to the carnival.

Anonymous said...

Random Acts of Kindness:

Send seed packets with a nice spring quote in the mail to random people.

Hit up the bargain book section at B&N or Borders. Pick out fun books and then send a couple out with notes attached.

Next time you hit a Vending Machine buy and extra snack and offer it to a stranger as you walk back to your office or destination.

At the airport offer extra magazines to people sitting around you. Better yet, distribute packs of gum to those around you.
Quote Books make great gifts to colleagues as a quick pick me up.

During holidays I leave little goody bags on my neighbors doors. Sometimes anonymously and sometimes with a special note.

Take school supplies to a local school.

Create a Kindness Journal and write an entry listing several random acts of Kindness you have done and then send the journal on to someone else.

Carnival ideas-
How about a Balloon art person that can make animals, hats, and swords?
I agree with Face painting for sure.
Snow cones, cotton candy, and popcorn machines can all be rented fairly cheaply. Maybe some of the food could be prizes and the kids could win tickets to get the different treats or activities?
It could be cool to do some sort of cutout where the kids can put their arms and heads through and get their pictures taken.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

ooohhh... Artnme1556... I love the idea of the kids winning carnival tickets at the party and then cashing them in for prizes! That is genius!

Brian K. Root said...

CARNIVAL - I actually used "Carnival" as my Resident Assistant training theme this past summer, and we had carnival games such as a duck pond, dart throwing (at balloons), football toss, frisbee toss, etc. Try going to OrientalTrading.com - lots of ideas there for themed parties!

Anonymous said...

Where to start today...

TENTS - A must-have food item for kids is cotton candy. It'll be a mess, but lots of fun for them. You can rent those machines at a lot of places...usually popcorn ones too. In terms of prizes, stuffed animals and gold fish are a must!

TIARAS - I'm in the middle (almost end) of wedding planning and I can't imagine doing this again for my 16 year old. Too much work for this girl! All I know about Sweet Sixteen parties is what I see on "My Super Sweet Sixteen" on MTV.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

Anonymous said...

A few Random Act of Kindness I thought of:

- making lunch for your co-workers on a Friday
- buying a new toy and giving it to a child
- helping an elderly man/woman put groceries in their car
- giving food to a homeless person

Cheryl Houston said...

When I think carnival, I think popcorn, corn dogs, hot dogs, candied apples, funnel cake, and most of all cotton candy! My favorite! And you can purchase it in buckets at Walmart or at www.rainbowcottoncandy.com. I also think rides... Ferris Wheel, Tilt-o-Whirl, and the Zipper. Maybe signs that advertise those rides. Maybe you can hand out fake money when your guest get to the party to "pay" for their games and tickets. Okay and this is the greatest thing... remember the Fun House with all the crazy mirrors? You can purchase the mirrors at www.carnivalmirrors.com. You can get a bunch of it and create your own Fun House! I think streamers or those pendant flags are a standard. What about Carnival music? I'm sure you can download songs from iTunes or elsewhere on the internet. Throw staw down in the yard! I'm trying to think of a gift bag... but all I can think of is popcorn bags.

On to tiaras...all I can say is thank goodness I just have boys! Does she want something simple and elegant or does she want the prom/beauty queen tiara? Just my opinion... go simple and elegant and hit the bridal shops. Sounds like she is going to have a very memorable party! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Tiaras- a thought - does she want a actually tiara or could you use some really pretty hair pins? When I got married, instead of a tiara I used these hair pins that were of different sizes (small to large placed in my up-do)I got them at my bridal store. They were expensive, but not cheesy or over the top. Careful thought- bridal tiaras can be expensive (My wedding was just 5 years ago). Also, a place to look can be www.theknot.com. There's tons of pictures/ideas there and you might be able to avoid the bridal shop experience.
I too have see my super sweet sixteen - hopefully things will calm down before my boys get that age.
Sorry - no help on the carnival area. I'm throwing a low-key b-day party for my baby who's turning 2 tomorrow. It's only 25 people and no theme. A much better number than my husband's party just two weeks ago.
Happy Memorial Day everyone!

maureen said...

I once had a carnival party and the favorite parts were, Sno cones, sand art and spin art. I miss those days, now its tiaras, gowns. catering halls etc. Small kids have small expectations big kids have bigger ones. Enjoy your party.

As for Sweet 16's Im not going as elaborate as My Super Sweet 16. Im getting the catering hall, favors, gown and tiara. There wont be a new car and a star musician. In fact we are gonna have all the stars we are having a DJ.

My daughter picked out a tiara online and I dont like ordering things I cant physically see. I am hoping to find a site with an online store as well as a physical store. The bridal shops around here want from 150 dollars for a simple tiara. I will keep looking. Thank you all for your help I really appreciate it.

Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

To piggy-back on Cheryl: we had a local orchard make candied and carmel apples for favors at my wedding. They wrapped them in cellophane and we added ribbon and custom-designed stickers. It wasn't very expensive, since everything was locally made, but was really fun for everyone to take home - plus that'll be less mess you'll have to clean up!
If you do go with this, make sure you keep them in a cool area, because the candied apples started to melt after a little while in the heat.

Anonymous said...

This is Julie from NY checking in again ... Helena ... is Flat Stanley on his way to me?

close2it said...

Tiaras: Wedding stores can get very expenisve but would be your best bet to find a wide variety. You may want to try the bridal section in your local craft store. Around here (PA) Pat Catans has a nice selection of tiaras for cheap but they look really nice. You could also look on Ebay or your local board of craigslist.com. Lots of brides sell their stuff after their wedding on there.

Carnivals: Sounds like a fun b-day party. As for food, I think of funnel cakes, fries, and ice cream. For activities, I think of face painting, spin art, and sand art. Good luck!

Random Acts of Kindness:
*buying breakfast foods for co-workers or a small group
*Returning grocery carts for the elderly or those with small children
*mowing your neighbors lawn when you do yours

Happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it is after 9pm and I'm just now checking in for the day.
But...here goes my best after a VERY long day.

Tents: I agree about duck ponds, face painting, and all the yummy treats. I also always think of pony rides which may be hard to pull off but would be so much fun for the kids. I'd also incorporate Cassie P's idea of taking digital pics of all the kids and sending them out with the thank you cards.

Tiaras: How fun would it be to plan a sweet sixteen party. While my own was nothing more than cake and ice cream with the family I've often heard of the elaborate Sweet Sixteen parties in the Northeast and Quincenera parties in the Southwest. If you have any novelty shops they often have great tiaras, or if your daughter finds a great tiara in a local bridal shop you can then go home and find it online for much cheaper (good old ebay).

Random Acts: I was inspired by highlowaha this week and when buying a late lunch on Thursday afternoon paid for the person behind me in the drive through. The cashier didn't know what to think when I said I wanted to pay for the person behind me as well. He was absolutely perplexed and looked at me like I had two heads.

I can't believe no one has taken those books yet!!!!

Alright, I'm off to curl up on the sofa for a few minutes before heading to bed.