Thursday, May 1, 2008

Introducing Blog Master for a Day: Master Matt Struble!

As promised last Friday, in a desperate attempt to have male friends of highlowaha.com share their ideal Father's Day gift, a drawing was held involving any reader who successfully got a father to post.  Cristine came through with flying colors and got Matt to reveal his dream gift (check out posts from 4/25 to see what he says).
So, without further ado, let me turn it over (though real quick... I will have some brief announcements at the end)...

Well, as blog master for the day, I have to agree with Claudia's concerns for what devilish items that I would choose to discuss, on this May 1.  When first notified of the honor, I couldn't help but laugh at all the ways I could discuss farts, beer,
the NFL draft, or something like the history of the largest ball of twine and who can claim the largest ball (there are 3 people who say they have it). It would be really easy to offend most of you with my humor.  Although I know that Richard Beeny would probably be the only one who would laugh with me and that my wife may not laugh but she would support me as she always does.

For my subject of choice on May 1, I choose to select... well... May 1.  Have you all actually thought about a specific day and what that day means?  Everyone knows what December 25th means but why does May 1 get the shaft because it is not a major holiday?  Since most readers of this article will be women, it may be of some interest to know that today would have been the all-female festival in honor of Bona Dea in the Roman Empire.  Bona Dea was knows as the"Good Goddess" and as the Goddess of Fertility.  Healing, Virginity, and Women.

With war news of Iraq and Afghanistan heard everyday; let's think about the past war battles of the Spanish-American War (Battle of Manila Bay), Civil War (Battle of Chancelorsville), or the sinking of hte Lusitania that left New York today and was torpedoed days later in WWI.  
Many famous people were either born or died today like Pope Pius V (d 1504) or Ray Parker Jr. (b 1954), so who you going to call... GHOSTBUSTERS.  Clearly I can go on and on about political events, people, inventions, etc., but the bottom line is don't forget about May 1.  So raise a beer or "toot" a salute to this day (come on, i had to get a fart comment in here somehow).

Lastly, don't forget May 14 as well.  It is my 40th birthday.  (The party will be in the Chica
go area).  If you are looking for a little diversion during our day, visit us at www.strublesuds.com for the latest Struble events. 

Thank you, Matt.  As you can see, Matt is far headier than I am.  He's talking Bona Dea and battles while I'm talking birthday parties and bathing suits (God forbid).  

Ok... a couple of notes before I sign off...
  • A cookie bouquet was delivered to my house yesterday from a very thoughtful reader who wanted to congratulate me on finally reaching 5,000.  Now that I know I don't have to post a pic of me in a bathing suit, I think I'll eat one.  Thank you... you know who.
  • Heather, one of our most loyal readers and posters, is finally getting a big girl haircut... TOMORROW.  This is to say, she has made an appointment at a "real" hair salon, as opposed to zipping into Supercuts over her lunch hour.  She is a self-proclaimed penny pincher, so for her this is a real step outside her comfort zone.  If you are anything like me you don't get this, as I would visit a salon weekly if I could come up with enough reasons.  Some of you requested a before and after shot and Heather is nice enough to comply.  So here is the before... and Saturday I will post an after.

  • Cheryl has signed on to be my official PR manager for the 12 week, 50 state Roll Call.  Look out for her daily post reminding and motivating you to... Rock the Vote (does that date me?... Now you know why I need a PR manager).
  • Still waiting to hear from Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, West Virginia, and Wyoming.  The sooner they get on the map, the sooner we can start.  Does anyone know anyone in any of these states?  Maureen can you put a word out via Girl Scouts?
  • IMPORTANT:  I will posting highlowaha from remote ALL NEXT WEEK.  I am facilitating a six-day institute involving 60 college aged students.  Tune in, as it is sure to be fun and INSPIRING!!!  Days (and nights) are long, so my posts will be short, sweet, and to the creative point.
Signing off until tomorrow...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have made a final plea to Julie Cole.

She probably put me in her stalker file.

-Anon

Anonymous said...

I'm wokring on West Virginia.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

TEAMWORK! Everybody loves teamwork (this is a song they sing in Matthew's class during clean-up time). Thank you Shari and Anon for keeping our dreams alive!

Cheryl Houston said...

All Hail May 1st, Matt. Thank you for pointing out that every day is special. Time is short people, use it wisely.

You also reminded me of why I’m probably going to be single for the rest of my life. Flatulence humor. I know I don’t have a chance in hell to win the battle of not instilling fart humor in my boys but I can still hope. :D

Even though Rock the Vote was founded way back in 1990, they still use it today to encourage the younger generations to vote. So, you’re still “IN” Claudia.

Anonymous said...

No mention of May Day Matt?
As a working Dad I thought for sure you would touch on the subject.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Tell us more, Cassie. I know nothing of May Day... other than, of course, ...that is our dog's name (which is funny when you're standing on the lawn calling her name).

What else is May Day and how does it relate to the working dad?

maureen said...

Claudia, I will email my troops again and see what happens. Maybe some of the leaders have relatives in those states....

As for todays date...... It is Ascension Thursday!
I know this only because my kids are in Catholic school and they are home!

Cheryl, I spend a lot of money on my hair cuts and hair products. As Claudia also knows when you have hair as straight as ours there isn't all too much you can do with it. Enjoy your day at the salon....
Your deserve it! If you look the same you will know that you don't necessarily get what you pay for... I would never admit to my husband that those words came out of my mouth (ha ha)!!:)

Anonymous said...

Here's a great website with May Day traditions.
I didn't realize it was a midwest kind of thing until today. I still remember doing the May Day pole dance when I was a kid (and no it isn't like a stripper pole dance).

Anonymous said...

http://www.theholidayspot.com/mayday/history.htm

oops I forgot to include it.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that a stay at home mom is the only one to know about May Day.

May Day occurs on May 1 and refers to any of several public holidays. In many countries, May Day is synonymous with International Workers' Day, or Labour Day, which celebrates the social and economic achievements of the labor movement. As a day of celebration the holiday has ancient origins, and it can relate to many customs that have survived into modern times. Many of these customs are due to May Day being a cross-quarter day, meaning that it falls approximately halfway between an equinox and a solstice

Cheryl Houston said...

May 1st is also Holocaust Remembrance Day, a national Holiday in Israel.

Cheryl Houston said...

Okay, that sounded wierd. Holiday for Holocaust Remembrance Day... but you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

yay for heather getting her hair cut! its gonna be sooo cute!!!

maureen said...

When I was little we danced around the May Pole. I remembered loving it but didnt know why we did it. There was a certain way of weaving in and out of each other around the May Pole.

I asked my kids teachers why we didnt do it with them and was told it was "pagan" but I never found out why.... I guess its a Catholic school "thing"

Anonymous said...

working on idaho...