Friday, May 9, 2008

Free For All Friday: Next Big Challenge

T.G.I.F. everyone! These students and this curriculum have meant an average of four hours of sleep over the past five nights. It's starting to take its toll, so I am committed to knocking out today's entry so I can steal a quick nap.

A few announcements:
  • Today is Cassie's surgery. By the time she reads this it will be over, so... Cassie, I hope you bounce back quickly and I'll be home Saturday afternoon if there's something I can do.
  • Rock the Vote!!! Today is the day we need to gather forces and place a vote for Gwen Beauchamp as America's Favorite Mother. You can vote by going to the Today Show's website. Her name will be listed under Chair of Everything (COE) Mothers.
Today is Free For All Friday - the day when we harness the collective creativity of our readership to solve problems. Boy have I got a goody!

As you know this whole week has culminated in students developing visions about which they are passionate and willing to commit their lives. We instruct them when developing their visions to have a healthy disregard for the impossible.  Great examples exist of leaders who against all odds changed the course of history (or their industry... or their neighborhood/community), because they were willing to focus not on what was but on what could be.  We explain that what so many of these visions have in common is they are vivid, challenging, service directed, expandable, and compelling. Finally... we prepare students that their visions can take years - even decades - to implement and that they must be persistent and patient in its pursuit.

What you don't know is that I too have been developing a vision statement this week... about something for which I am passionate. Why of course... highlowaha.com!!!!! Are you ready? I am about to unveil my vivid, challenging, service directed, expandable, compelling, and serious... vision for highlowaha. Then we will use Free For All Friday to generate brilliant ideas about how to make it happen.  The blog can be the primary vehicle or only a portion of the method.  

One, two, three... (drum roll, please)...

My vision is to "Foster creativity in communities around the world"

Ok, that' it. What are your creative, bold, ideas about how that can happen? Think Big. No boundaries. We're just brainstorming. When you brainstorm there are no wrong answers. Be my partners is this endeavor and let's see how big we can think.  

Signing off until tomorrow and sitting on the edge of my seat to see what you come up with...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Beeny,
I haven't really commented on any posts this week, though I have continued to read faithfully!

However, I do have an idea for today's brainstorm. I couldn't help but thinking about the 'Pay it Forward' idea after I read your mission statement.

So how about writing a book! Your book could highlight acts of creativity in people's neighborhoods - maybe the themed dinner, or neighborhood block parties, or fundraisers ... any example of creativity being used to build "community" would be game for this book.

Then you could send the book to Oprah, get on her book club, and spawn a new movement.

Ok, so maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but I think the topic of creativity in communities would be a great topic for a book, and who knows where that could lead.

Anonymous said...

Dr. B-
One last thought. Could Highlowaha develop into its own nonprofit organization?

It might take a little 'out of the box' thinking to fully wrap your brain around this idea, but we seem to be pretty good at that as a group.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Treye... a non-profit... I like it.

Here is the link to vote for the favorite mom....
http://www.nbc.com/Americas_Favorite_Mom/

There's a clip of her story. She sounds pretty remarkable.

Jennie said...

Don't have any ideas per se, but a question...I love how you describe your job...what is the job title for a job like yours at a university?

I read the blog every day...it is a spark of creativity and joy in my day each morning, so thanks!

Anonymous said...

I've got two words for you: ROAD TRIP!

I think that you should take your show on the road and do consulting for communities across the country.

I'm a big fan of Treye's book idea, too! He LOVES to write, so I'm sure you could get him on the wagon to help ya.

Cassie - you'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

Cheryl Houston said...

Brainstorming:
The what is: “Foster creativity in communities around the world.” Or promote creative ideas.

Why? Because it’s fun. Because it’s needed. To help people feel connected. To build communities which help each other. Helping families build a better connection. Raise awareness for a cause. Raise money for a cause.

Who? Claudia, and the community of highlowaha.com.

How? The "Who" suggest ideas on daily blog on how to use creativity to create a better community. Brainstorming ideas. Use creativity to solve common problems. Treye says write a book. Tera says go on the road consulting… like conferences? Public speaking? Motivational school programs? Business seminars promoting better work environments, communication, and production.

What kind of creativity? Art- painting, sculpting, photography, crafting, writing, blogging, acting, philosophy, fundraising, music, singing, videography, sewing… it’s endless.

Which communities? Neighborhoods, churches, students, moms

What are the walls you will have to overcome?
People not participating
Coming up with daily ideas
Staying fresh and committed

How big do you want this to be? Sometimes, less is more and sometimes, bigger is better.

Anonymous said...

Just touching base to say that I'm here and reading just busy.

I'll be thinking on the FFAF topic though and will add my input soon.

Katie said...

Also just wanted to let you know that I'm here, just busy with work, senior week and graduation TOMORROW! I'm thinking about the free for all though and will give you my input soon...

Brian K. Root said...

Hmmm... fostering creativity in our communities...


1. Embrace graffiti art.

2. Provide children with "creativity kits" - crayons, paints, construction paper, sidewalk chalk, etc. (It's important to start young.)

3. (Building off the book idea...Good one, Treye) Publish a book of 1,000 ways to help foster creativity in your community. Use the proceeds to further your mission.

4. Readings (poetry, etc.)

5. Open a coffeehouse. (Coffeehouses always seem to facilitate creativity in a community).

6. How about a Summer Creativity Series, featuring musical acts, readings, art shows, puppet shows for kids, and more?

7. Travel to college campuses and offer your services to Student Activities Boards or other groups looking for some help with creativity.



Ok, out of ideas for the moment.

Anonymous said...

I'll agree with beekayroot...provide a Mom's Day Out or a playgroup where the kids play with NO TOYS!!!!
Encourage them to use their imaginations, art supplies and each other to create their fun.
I think creativity is beginning to wane because if a kid wants a dog they get a dog, if they want a cell phone they get a cell phone...when we were little we used a stick to serve as a sword, a dog leash, a magical wand instead of buying them from a store.

Anonymous said...

happy mother's day to all the mom's at highlowaha!!!