Monday, December 8, 2008

Santa Claudia's Top Kid Picks

What a week last week was.  I feel like 1,000,000,000 great ideas for gifts were generated and swapped among readers.  Thank you, everyone for generously giving your gift of creativity.  I picked up a few fun ideas that I think I'll try this year.  Let's make a deal.  If you give a gift recommended by someone at Highlowaha, how about posting a comment and letting us know how it went?  It will be a fun way to let one another know the difference you make in each other's lives.

Today.  Today we begin a week of Claudia's Top Kid Picks.  It's a little self indulgent, I know.  I'm not a toy consultant, a toy maker, or Oprah who - though, not an expert - would at least be giving one of everything she talked about to each of her loyal viewers.  No.  It's certain, I am no Oprah.

But, I am mom.  I love giving gifts.  And, I especially love giving gifts that capture the imagination of kids.  AND, I have a lively, engaged, and creative community of readers with whom I engage each day.  So, I am CERTAIN, that between you and me, we will have a fun week rediscovering Christmas through the eyes of kids!

Don't have kids?  I work hard at trying to be relevant to as many of our readers as possible and I can't help but think my suggestions will be as good coming from an aunt, uncle, cousin, brother, sister, babysitter, or even anonymously from one of Santa's secret elves.

Today we're talking books.  I love sharing books with kids at Christmas, because unlike a plastic, battery operated toy, the image of a book can last forever.  Books help create the sense of anticipation that makes Christmas feel so magical.  Hearing about Santa Claus, while looking at pictures of his toy shop or his reindeer, makes the wonder of this holiday seem palpable... even believable.  Each Friday, for the next three weeks, I will steal away 20 minutes of my morning to share a book with Matthew's class.  Here are my top picks.

How Santa Got His Job
By: Stephen Krensky
This clever book tells of all the jobs Santa had leading up to his most important job as Santa Claus.  None of his jobs, including such things as a chimney sweep, postman, or circus performer ever worked out.  It wasn't until he met a group of elves who helped him use all his special talents, that Santa was able to find his dream job.   Approximately 30 pages.  $6.99. 

Idea: I will start out by asking each child in Matthew's class what they want to be when they grow up.  Maybe I'll record what they say and present it to their parents as a keepsake.  Also, This could be a fun gift for someone graduating or for someone who works with college aged students (as, "What should I do with my life?" is often a question asked).

Snowflake Bentley
By: Jaqueline Briggs Martin
As someone who loves history, I am in LOVE with this book!

Based on a true story, this tale tells of Wilson Bentley who - often misunderstood in his time - took pictures that even today reveal two important truths about snowflakes: no two are alike and each one is beautiful.  It is a great story of a young boy who is not only exhibits perseverance, but who also has passion for nature.  It is laced with facts about Wilson Bentley's life, while at the same time tells a great tale.  Approximately 30 pages.  $16.00 in hardback.  

Idea: After reading this book, I will have each child make a paper snowflake, so we can see how each is different.  I could also bring snowflake cookies or snowflake ornaments.  Let's see how ambitious I am.

Santa Claus
By: Rod Green
This book is nothing short of magical!  It is a pop-up interactive book going into great detail about everything from the North Pole, to Santa's House, the elves, the mail room, Santa's work shop, the essential elements of Santa's suit, how his sled works, and how he delivers his presents.  

Idea: I am going to a dinner party next weekend and the hostess has three children.  I will give her a copy of this book.  I love it so much that last week I anonymously left a copy (with chocolate chip cookies and a note from Santa) for a family at my son's preschool.  It is $19.99 and worth every penny.  

Announcements
  • Congratulations, Lori:  After much tasting and re-tasting, the Struble bar flies voted Lori's mustard recipe yesterday's winner.  December 30, Richard and Tera face off for what will mark the beginning of Snack Throw Down, Round Two.
  • Owl' Nest: Thank you to all the North Texans who were able to participate in this weekend's event.  Heather shopped for Lily and for Stacie and the nine-year old girl for whom Stacie is seeking a gift.  Heather and Stacie are both are the recipients of our prize.  Each of them wins a personalized lap desk in the color of their choice.  Stacie, I will email you color choices and you can let me know whose name you would like on it (in addition to graphics.  ie. flowers, basket ball, zebra stripes, etc...).  I will reveal some of our finds as the week goes on!  Heather took pictures, so you'll get visuals too.
  • Festival of Lights:  Kudos to all of you who got your trees up this weekend.  Remember one week from yesterday, Sunday, December 16 at 8:00 CST, we will host our First Annual Holiday Celebration.  All are invited.  To "attend," simply submit a photograph of you and/or your family in front of your tree, menorah, or another holiday decoration of your choice.  Submissions due Friday, 12/12, by 9:00 p.m.  To participate in the Ornament Exchange simply do the following: (1) Purchase an ornament.  (2) Take a picture of it unwrapped.  (3) Take a picture of it wrapped.  (4) send both photographs to cspgradstudent at kkolkmeier@gmail.com.  Photos must be received by Friday night at 9:00 p.m.
  • Cassie's Great Santa Claus Adventure:  It's not too late to make the day of a son, daughter, niece, nephew, neighbor, or even a child in the hospital.  Simply send Cassie P. a holiday card (postmarked 12/12) and she will hand deliver it to Santa Claus, Indiana for a magical postmark on Monday, December 15.  Her mailing address is Cassie Patterson, 103 Meadow Drive, Sellersburg, IN, 47172.  Check in later this week to find out what fun things we have planned for Cassie on her road trip.
  • Letters to the North Pole:  Looking for a place to mail your child's letter to Santa?  Try: Santa Claus, 41 North Kringle Place, Santa Claus, IN 47579.  They have volunteers who reply to letters FREE!

20 comments:

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Sorry I'm running so late this morning. I am fighting some kind of nose, ear, throat infection and the medicine knocked me out!

Anonymous said...

Today's post totally reminds me of one of my favorite shows I watched as a kid...Reading Rainbow! The part where they had three kids showcase a book each! I miss that show!

Giving kids books is a great idea; they need to read more!

Katie said...

I love the gift of books because they truly last forever. When first giving a child the book, the parent or babysitter may be the one reading it to them. However, over the years, they will learn to read the book, and it will become their own. It is always amazing to watch a kid learn how to read their favorite book instead of it having to be read to them. My other favorite thing about books is that they can be passed on, whether that be from generation to generation or as hand-me-downs. I know I was into the "babysitters club" books when I was in middle school, and once I had read them all, I passed them down to my 3 girl cousins who were reaching the right age for them. They enjoyed them just as much as I had at that age. Books last forever.

Peggy said...

One idea I have for the books, is sign it... not like you're the author.... but insead of a card (yikes, how could I be saying that) Children's books often have a blank page inside the front cover... write a cute little poem, or the reason you bought them that book...write a tiny heartfelt note, sign your name and date it.

I was in a community theatre play a few years back, and one of my fellow actors actually wrote scripts and appeared in Tv shows of the 1960's (Beverly Hillbillies to name one) anyhow, he gave me a gift (a really weird cookbook) but inside the front cover he wrote some really nice words, and I treasure that book and will always remember him. Not for the cookbook, but more so for the kind words!

***Claudia*** feel better.... you're the second person I know who is feeling that ENT stuff that is going around... that's one gift I don't want! Feel Better, rest! ****

Cheryl Houston said...

Great book suggestions. My boys love the classic- The Night Before Christams and these look like great additions to our library. :)

Feel better Claudia. Airborne. And lots of it!

Can't wait to see the Owl's Nest reveals. I was bummed to be out of town on Saturday. It's still on my list though.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

It's a slow day out there. Where is everyone?!? Today is overcast and grey in Texas. Makes me want to eat soup and curl up with a good book.

Anonymous said...

Dont forget to send me your letters to be taken to Santa Claus, IN on the 15th!!! It is only a week away!

I have not recieved anything in the mail yet...I am gettin worried my friends! (thought I have not yet recieved the mail today)...MAIL YOUR LETTERS!!!

Cassie Patterson
103 Meadow Drive
Sellersburg, IN 47172

Kristen Giger said...

Those of you who know me very well at all know that I am NOT NOT NOT a book person at all! I'm not sure why, because my parents always read to me as a kid. I guess once the pictures disappeared and there got to be chapters my attention span diminished! Anyway. . .How the Grinch Stole Christmas is a timeless children's book.

Along the same lines as what Peggy said about the cookbook. . .When my family threw me a baby shower they asked on the invitations if people would please use the few dollars they would normally purchase a card with and instead buy a children's book and sing the inside. We ended up with a ton of baby books, all of which are personalized and few of which are duplicated. I know this doesn't really go with the Christmas theme, but at least I hit on the book aspect of things! I do enjoy reading to our daughter now. . .we're back to the picture books with no chapters!!

(Somehow I did make it through college, though)

Kristen Giger said...

. . .umm. . .not sing the inside. . .SIGN the inside. . .I really need to re-read before I post

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Kristen and others... your idea might not seem 100% relevant to today's post, but aahhh... it is!

Christmas really does not fully register with kids who are two and younger. I think it is a GREAT idea to ask people, who are planning on purchasing your children a gift, to consider giving him/her a book. If you already have a healthy number for their current age, then asking for books he/she might enjoy in the future.

If it works for baby showers, surely Santa can play along too!

Katie said...

Montana Kelly,

Are you ready for a little friendly competition like you had with Claudia?! JMU vs. Montana on Friday at 8 PM! Who will the lucky winner be? Go Dukes!!!

Cheryl Houston said...

Other great books for kids are The Magic Tree House series and the Junie B. Jones series. My boys love both of these. I love the Junie B. Jones series because I read it with a southern accent and act funny.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Matthew is addicted to the Magic Tree House books! We are on hiatus from Magic Tree House right now, as we read The Tale of Despereaux. The movie comes out over winter break, so our goal is to finish it in time to see the movie. Only three nights in and he is loving it.

Just as importantly... I am really enjoying reading it to him!

Julie said...

AZ is equally gray and overcast. I stopped by Starbucks on my way home, and have full intentions of curling up with the newest Nicolas Sparks book.

Kristen, I was hoping you'd share your Baby Shower story. You did get quite a lot of books!

The Polar Express might just be my favorite Christmas book. Period!

To anyone in finals week this week - good luck!

Anonymous said...

Thanks julie! it would be my finals week! UGHHHH!!!

Anonymous said...

Claudia, I'm sorry that i haven't been on but between work, and going back and forth to see my mom it has been a little hectic. I would love to try snd start a pair of jeans with patches. Thank you for your kind note and your kind words. My mom had a stroke 3 weeks ago and it has been an up hill battle since. She is coming along slowly although she will not be home for the holidays and that has been a bit tough for me to deal with. She wasn't even home for Thanksgiving. She is in the extended care unit of North Shore Manhasset Hospital. Again, I will try and check in as much as i can.
Also, I hope that you feel better soon.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Layne, your inaugural patches will be in the mail ASAP! I am thrilled that you will try to participate in gathering patches for your patchwork denim!

This upcoming Sunday night will be another simple opportunity to earn a patch. Check out tomorrow's post to find out how.

I am sorry to hear about your mom. I know it makes the holidays just a little bit harder. You are in my thoughts.

Cheryl Houston said...

Layne, I am wishing your mother a speedy and healthy recovery!!! Hang in there. :)

Kristen Giger said...

How about Charlie Brown's Christmas???

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Kristen... that's a good one. In fact it was just on t.v. tonight. An oldie, but goodie!