Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ho! Ho! Ho!, Low on Dough: $10.00

Thursday, already!  Time flies when you're having fun... and it is fun I am having!  Hopefully you are too.  

Monday we talked about all the variations we could apply to Theme Christmas trees.  Tuesday we transformed envelopes into page markers for all gifts we purchase from Barnes and Noble this holiday season.  Subscriptions and one-of-a-kind experiences were the name of the game for Wednesday's post.  As for today.  Today I'll share a $10.00 idea and, of course, hope that you will chime in. 
 
It's day number four of our party, and there is still so much more that Katie's Krew needs to about our fun community.  So, I'll leave plenty of time and space for important announcements.  And, time for the big reveal of a fun Highlowaha Christmas activity coming your way soon.
Today's Idea:
Food glorious food.  That's the idea we'll rally around today.  I like my contribution of the day for a few reasons.  First.  Something baked is a labor of love and a thoughtful way to wish someone a happy holiday.  Second.  Most recipes can be baked for less than $10.00 (especially if you make enough to divide your recipe into multiple servings).  Third.  Food, when packaged in the right container, can serve as a double gift.  The champagne glass in which my Granola is packaged ($5.00 with a 50% off coupon from Michael's) could be used to hold fruit, corks, Sharpie markers, or candy on your desk at work, once empty.  Four.  By using the tag line, "Cheers!  Here's to a Happy and Healthy New Year," I free myself up to give some gifts after Christmas, but in time for the new year.  Who wouldn't love to steal an extra few days?

A couple more notes about today's featured gift.  You'll notice I show it photographed in two different sizes.  The smaller martini glass was $1.99 at World Market (but I saw others in Target's $1 bin).  The fact that it's smaller also means it will hold less mix, allowing you to yield more gifts per batch.  Both are fun.  Consider using holiday ribbon to hang the recipe from your package.

Claudia' Big Reveal:
I'm a big fan of interns.  In fact some of our best and most fun readers once served as interns at various campuses where I've worked.  As much as I love interns in Student Affairs, we have them do traditionally Student Affairs related things - coordinate events, advise students, compose and pitch proposals, etc, etc....  Have you ever seen the interns on the Ellen Degeneres Show, Jay Leno, or on any of your local radio stations?  Now those are interns!  I tuned into Ellen the other day and she sent her intern to Time Square, New York with a collapsible money machine.  The intern had to get from CA to NY, figure out how to set it up, and then create a commotion on the streets of New York.  Now that's an experience!

Cassie P isn't exactly a Highlowaha intern, but she has generously offered to do a stunt for us!  Cassie lives in Indiana, the same state as the infamous town Santa Claus, Indiana.  In the interest of time, I won't go into great detail about what makes this town so much fun, but if you get a chance you should check it out.  I will tell you two essential things about this town.

One.  The Santa Claus post office creates a special annual postmark to stamp each envelope moving through their post office.  What could be more magical than getting a letter delivered from Santa Claus, Indiana?  Nothing.  That's why on December 15, Cassie has volunteered to road trip for us.  She will mail any card or letter we send her from the Santa Claus post office, so that it can get the official postmark.  I implore each of you to think of one person you can surprise with this fun treat.  Don't even sign your name.  Let it be anonymous or from a secret admirer.  In the spirit of #218, do it today.  Get a holiday card, fill it out, address it to the person you want to surprise and PUT A STAMP ON IT!  Then put it in another envelope and send it to Cassie P. at  103 Meadow Drive, Sellersburg, IN, 47172, by Wednesday, December 10! 

Early next week I want to spend some time thinking about what fun things we can have Cassie do along her journey.  Be thinking.

Two.  In the middle of town there is a Santa Claus Museum.  In the back of the museum, behind lock and key, there are makeshift tables set up where residents volunteer to answer the 15,000 letters kids write to Santa Claus.  While there are many addresses to which you can send a letter to Santa, Santa Claus, Indiana is FREE!  No charge.  Matthew has sent his letter there for the past few years and it always comes back with a personalized note to him (be sure to include specific information  - names of siblings or friends, favorite food, pets name, etc...) and reindeer dust to be sprinkled around the perimeter of your house (I assume for a safe landing).  The address should you want to drop him a line is:

Santa Claus
41 North Kringle Place
Santa Claus, IN 47579

Announcements:
  • Rockefeller Center Tree Lighting: Were there any takers last night?  Win the one and only I LOVE N.Y. patch, for your coveted patchwork denim, by being the first to correctly answer this question.  What did Stephen Colbert have sticking out of his pocket 
  • Paint the Town Red:  Have a Coke.  Share a smile.  Remember, we are trying to accumulate as many Coke Reward points as possible between now and February 14, in order to help Heather's sick friend, Julie.  Reward numbers can either go to Heather or your Highlowaha Regional Coke Director.  Maybe in the next couple of days Heather can post an update and a reminder of who is Regional Director for which states.  We started Coke Kindness Chains in various places around the country.  I would love to hear a story or two about getting the chains started or where they are at to date.
  • Festival of Lights:  Sunday, December 14 we will have a Virtual Highlowaha Festival of Lights and Ornament Exchange.  To participate in one or both, just do the following.  (1) take a picture of your tree or other holiday decoration (better if you and your family are in front of it). (2) Buy an ornament and take a picture of it.  (3) Wrap the ornament and take another picture of it.  Send all three photos to Katie at kkolkmeier@gmail.com, by Friday, December 12 by 9:00 p.m.
  • Owl's Nest Shopping: Highlowaha readers from North Texas will be visiting a great toy boutique on Saturday, December 6.  If you want us to be on the lookout for a unique toy for someone on your list, just let us know the age and sex of the child.  We will shop on Saturday and post our toy reviews later in the day.  North Texas who participate will earn a Patchwork Patch and get 10% off their purchases.  Non-Texans can win lap desk personalized for the child of your choice. 
Dig out your favorite recipe idea and share it with the rest of us.  I'll post the granola recipe in the comment section before the day is over.  That's a lot for one day, but we're a moving and shaking group of people.  

Signing off until tomorrow...

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! You finally revealed it! I am super excited to be doing this for the HLA community. I hope all of you bombard my parent's house (where I still live!) with tons of snail mail for me!!! :-D This is going to be too much fun. I have already invited a good friend to tag along with me and make it a fun lil road trip. I am pumped! LOL the HLA intern?! HUH!

On another note. Bring on the $10 ideas. A gift exchange I am going to next week has a $10 and under limit! I cannot wait to hear what everyone comes up with.

ME? I love the $ bin at Target. But I want to do something a little nicer. For college students- Food is good... maybe even Dr. B's martini glass with food in it is cute. I have some thinking to do!!!

Anonymous said...

I'll post tomorrow with the Paint the Town Red totals. They are at work and I know I'll be slammed today by looking at my calendar so can't promise they'll be posted by day's end today.

$10 gifts...keep the ideas coming. With this year's crazy economy our family exchange is down to $10 and I've been struggling to come up with ideas. My family has drawn my brother who is 39, and my nephews who are 12 and 14 any ideas out there?

Katie said...

I have what I think is a GREAT under $10 gift idea that I'm planning to use this holiday season with a few friends of mine. It's actually a gift I received a few weeks ago from Funsies!

It's called 'Encourage Mints'. Get a glass candy jar (they sell them at craft stores, like Michael's and Hobby Lobby). Write in painter's pen on the outside of the jar "Encourage Mints". Inside of the jar place some mints and then you also will take small scrolls of paper and write encouraging notes on them. For example, the one I pulled out yesterday when I needed some encouragement said, "You're going to be the most ridiculously amazing mom in the history of the earth! You're going to have a dozen gorgeous amazing kids. You know it." For me, just thinking about having a dozen kids makes me smile (yes, I'm nuts) and it was the perfect pick me up! In the jar will be mixed together these mints and encouraging notes. I have used it quite frequently lately with the stress of the end of school, etc!

Another idea that I'm thinking of using this year for Christmas (if I can figure out the logistics of mailing this) is to give some kids in my life a cool map of the United States. Using the Tracer that I have, I'm going to trace a US map "poster" that I saw in a Potterybarn kids magazine. It is a cool map of the States, with the names of each state written in the outline of the state in cool font for each State. I want to buy a painting canvas, Trace the map using my Tracer, and then use painter's pens to color it. I think this will make a nice map of US for them to have in their playroom (they're young kids) and is a cheap way to do it! The power of tracing is GREAT!

Kristen Giger said...

The Santa CLause letters seem like lots of fun! Be expecting at least one from me.

$10 ideas. . .hmm, maybe a variation of what we read this morning could be a coffee mug with either coffee in it or different flavors of creamer. Another idea might be to make personalized stockings for the people on your list. Have an avid outdoors person on there? Fill the stocking with tosti-toes and hand warmers.

Today's agenda: get the fall decorations down and bust out those Christmas ones!

Peggy said...

I was thinking about $10 gifts on my frigid walk this morning.... those of you in the south, don't complain about your 50 degrees... it was 7 degrees out when I walked Cooper!

Calendars (wall, desk, pocket).... Sissy bought her dad a Un-imaginable golf holes...wall calendar and it was $7.99. We like them for decoration in the office... also daddy loves funny desk calendars(dilber/ farside) .... look for them every where... TJ Maxx... the kiosks in the mall (even in the $1 bin).... they range from the Simpsons ~ Soup for the Soul, Wacky trivia ~ Cute little puppies... make sure you put a sticker on your birthday when you give it to them!!!!

My treat that I love to make.... chocolate covered rod pretzels. Along the same lines as Claudia's martini glass.... find a cute small glass plate:
pretzel rods
chocolate (toll house semi sweet)
red & white chocolate pellets from the hobby store
jimmies & or nuts
Melt the dark chocolate.... dip pretzel in half way... let dry on wax paper.
Melt other chocolate (it's fun to add peppermint flavor or crushed peppermints) drizzle white and red radomly over pretzels.... leave or add jimmies and nuts while chocolate is melted. Let dry.
Wrap in cellophane.... top with a cute ribbon bow and tiny note card... place on cute (cheap) plate.... perfect treat and holiday gift!!!

Anonymous said...

oooh I like the coffee idea! as college students, we love our coffee!!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

I like the pretzel rod idea. In my "neighborhood" of 10 houses, the tradition is that each family gives the other families a holiday gift. Imagine our surprise when we learned that last year.

Pretzel rods, granola, or other baked goods that are decoratively wrapped, seems to be the way to go. Anything x 9 families can add up.

What about Pajama bottoms as $10.00 gift item? It seems to me you ought to be able to find a pair for $10.00 or less at Old Navy or Walmart. Rolled up and packaged with a few pieces of candy could be a cute way to say "Sweet Dreams. " Better yet, you could package it with a small note that reads... "The children were nestled all sung in their beds, while visions of sugarplums danced in their heads."

Meeshie said...

for the holidays I do a variation of the Chex mix "Muddy Buddies" (aka Puppy Chow or Dog Food bc of how it looks) by taking the recipie and either add peppermint flavoring in the chocolate or sprinkling on crushed candy canes to the mix while its drying. get a festive holiday tin (targets $ bin usually has them) and some ribbon from wrapping presents and you have yourself a pretty good for you snack! I'll find the recipie and come back and post it for those of you interested.

also - for those that asked the other day...I'm due July 8 :)

Nicole Zirnheld Aldridge said...

Here's what I am doing this year. I bought glass cookie jars at Target for $5.99 each. I am using glass paint to paint the recipient's initials on the jar then I am adding a batch of my famous chocolate chip cookies along with the recipe. All for around $10.

Nicole Zirnheld Aldridge said...

Claudia, if you have a clever saying to go along with my cookie jars, I would love to hear it!

Anonymous said...

I came across your mention of a friend roadtripping to Santa Claus, Ind. to mail your holiday cards and used it on my blog for the Spencer County Visitor's Bureau in Santa Claus. I included a link to your blog also. Looks like you have some great holiday ideas to share!

Cheryl Houston said...

Not last year or even the year before that but the one that I was still in Park City, Utah... Walmart had the cutest tubs for goodies on sale after Christmas and I bought as many as would fit in my basket. Then, I moved to Texas the next summer. I'm going to use them this year if it KILLS ME!

In the past I've done a Chex mix, sugar cookies, rice crispie treats and chocolate chip cookies with candy for a variety in the basket.

I'm getting lots of good ideas here. Am I the only one that has not even begun to shop yet? I still need to make my list!

Hey! We're famous! Spencer County Visitor Bureau put us on their blog site! YAY!

Katie said...

Cheryl, I have only bought for 3 people and that's because I got the fleece for their blankets on sale!

Part of that is because I'm waiting until I get home for Holidays to get my gifts so I don't have to try to pack them to go on an airplane! But, nevertheless, have no fear- little shopping done over here too!

YAY for being famous! Go HLA!

Back to writing my philosophy of student affairs I go- I love being a procrastinator.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Cheryl... I am no further along than you are when it comes to Christmas shopping (or anything else for that matter).

By the way... did you see the little boy interviewed on the Today Show this morning? He wrote a book, based play ground observations, about how boys should talk to girls. It is the funniest thing. I was thinking that could be a fun item for Drew.

I love the plug from Santa Claus, IN. Maybe we'll make some new friends for Cassie to meet on her road trip.

Cheryl Houston said...

Claudia- no, I didn't see it but I just looked it up online! Hilarious. I'm going to put it on my list to check out.

Anonymous said...

This year I have 12 people at the KidZone at my gym to give a little gift to. Here's what I'm doing and it's under $10
Coffee mugs from Walgreens - they're 3/$3.98 (they're a larger mug and have cute designs, incl the inside of the mug) - plus - Walgreens runs the coupons - $5 off a $20 purchase - good deal
Inside the mug, candy and treats. I bought a Wilton cookie pan at Walmart yesterday for $8. It's got reindeer, Christmas trees etc. You press the cookie dough into the pan - and you're done - no rolling out dough and using cookie cutters. I'm thinking that it could work for brownies too.
There you have it - probably under $5 with all my coupons too.
Also, I know people who do this with just the ingredients - ie put all the ingredients for gingerbread cookies in a zip lock bag with a recipe.
Hope that this helps
PS- my best buy for a gift this year was at Costco - 5 $20 gift cards for $79 - that meant one each for the boys teachers and a bonus for me!

Anonymous said...

all of this talk about baked goods is making me sad, i live in a dorm and have only a microwave and a mini-fridge for cooking. maybe i'll hijack a friend's kitchen to bake some christmas goodies. i love the idea of using wine or martini glasses to package some snacks! i might do that for some friends... and maybe paint the glasses with something seton hall themed to celebrate our senior year.
claudia, i watched christmas at rockefeller center (i'll hopefully be visiting it in real life tomorrow) but i can't remember what was in colbert's pocket! i remember he had a very festive red vest and hat, though!

maureen said...

Ill take a crack at it!! Was it a candy cane?

I was at a wake last night so I didnt get to watch. I have seen it in person being a New Yorker.

Im not feeling so well so I am off to resting on the couch for the day!

Have a great day HLA!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Lindsay Marie... so far you come the closest. I'll leave the lines open until the end of today in the event one of our West Coaster's knows the answer.

If not, you've proved yourself worthy of the coveted patch. Now we just need to assign you some patchwork denim and get you started on your collection.

Next patch yielding event... Sunday, December 14. Don't miss it! Festival of Lights

Cheryl Houston said...

Cristine and Matt- I sent my Snack Throwdown today and it should be there tomorrow. I get my money back if it isn't so let me know!

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone...

CKB...I went to read the blog before I went to work this AM and was SHOCKED I was up before it was posted. So here I am now, home from work.

Cassie...interning for the Been-ster is great! I'm going to hopefully get an envelope of cards to you this weekend! BTW, I miss you :)

KTK...I love the EncourageMints idea. I havew two other similar ideas. (Julie did this for me one time) There are Hershey chocolates that are called Treasures. She made a list of things she treasured about our friendship and typed them up. When looking at them on the page, it looks like the candy does (longest one at the bottom to shortest at the top). She gave me a bag of the candies too. You can get a really nice jar or container and decorate it and put the candies in.

The second is the same idea but with Riesen candies. You can do "Riesens" I love you...or am thankful for you...or whatever you want to call it. Type up the reasons you love the person you're giving them to and wrap one around each piece of candy. Put a sticker or something on it to keep it there. The recipeient can unwrap them when they need a pick me up of are thinking of you.

As for the chocolate pretzels...try dipping them in chocolate, then in melted caramel, then chocolate again. HEAVENLY!

Anonymous said...

I am going to go shopping for the family HLA has adopted for the holidays in the very near future. Sue is sending all of the gifts from her school my way on Dec. 10 so as soon as I receive that and see what has been purchased I am going out to do the rest.

If anyone is still interested in making a donation, purchasing a gift, or helping Sue pay for the shipping of the gifts from her school, please email me ASAP tmichalski05@jcu.edu and let me know how you can help. I'll then provide you my mailing address!

THIS IS MY LAST CRY FOR HELP...

Cheryl Houston said...

OOOHHHH!!! Those Chocolate-carmel-chocolate pretzel dippers sound good!

Brian K. Root said...

I would love it if someone could share their recipe of your version of puppy chow... i love that stuff, but have never made it on my own.

Anonymous said...

I love using fun glasses for giving gifts. I usually will by coffee mugs and place two packets of gourmet hot chocolate in them for gifts. I feel like baking is going to be what I do for gifts this year. Usually there are several types of cookies, puppy chow, and stain glass candy going into the holiday tins that we pass out to friends and neighbors.

Brian, you asked for someones puppy chow recipe. Here is mine. It is really easy.

3/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter
8 cups Crispix cereal
2 cups powdered sugar



Melt the peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butter together. Pour over the cereal in a large bowl and stir well. Pour the powdered sugar into a large Ziploc bag and add the cereal. Seal the bag and shake well to coat evenly.

Meeshie said...

My Holiday version of the Muddy Buddies (Puppy Chow)

9 cups Rice Chex® cereal or you can have 3 cups of rice/corn/wheat or any combo, as long as you have 9 cups of cereal
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
couple of candy canes crushed (great idea for kids to help, put the canes in a bag and let them go to town)
1. Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
2. In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
3. Add powdered sugar and candy cane bits. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

azlori said...

I sent my entry for the snack throw down as well today...but don't know if it will make it as I was not willing to pay $44.00 dollars to get it there overnight.....Hopefully the postal Gods will smile upon me and get it there on Saturday.

Julie said...

Puppy Chow = DELICIOUS!

Just wanted to check in quickly today. I guess I'm now considered a "west coaster" but I wasn't so much watching the Rockefeller event last night. It was on, but I can't begin to guess what was in his pocket.

I'm overly tired today and my creativity juices aren't flowing so well.

See you all tomorrow!

KRISTEN - how's the house looking?!?!

AZLORI - I will be calling you before the weekend's over. Thank you for your call back to me Monday!

Kristen Giger said...

I really like the EncourageMints idea. . .that sounds like a really good gift for my husband's 100 year old great grandmother (aka: superwoman). . .What kind of glass paint works best, and where can i find it??

MICHELLE: July 8? Great day (happens to be MY birthday!)

Anonymous said...

Claudia, I was watching the tree lighting in the city last night and i just happen to know that Stephen Colbert had his New Christmas CD hanging out of his pocket. He had also held it up to show the TV audience.
I am off to relax I am not feeling very well today. Have a great night

Anonymous said...

Claudia, I made mistake it was a DVD not CD. Sorry about that.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Ding, ding, ding! Layne won! Yes, Stephen Colbert had his new Christmas DVD hanging out of his pocket. Good going, Layne.

If I send you the coveted I Love New York patch do you promise to start some patchwork denim, so you can join the fun of troop #218? If not, you can will it to Lindsay who came in a close second.

Eventually we want EVERYONE in patchwork denim!

Amber said...

I have been in slacker-mode for two days...sorry ladies!

I did want to comment on one thing from yesterday. I have a collection of mix CDs that I made for my sister (Jes, where are you?) and for special family events. My Hubs and I are the "music people" in our families...so people are always asking for new tunes. I actually named the CD collection - the upbeat, "shake-your-booty" compilations are from the "Jam wit me, Yo!" series. The coffeehouse, library compilations are from the "Chill wit me, Yo!" series. They are a big hit, although I haven't done any recently...maybe I should get on that...

This time of year brings out the Betty Crocker in me. I usually make all kinds of holiday baked goods and then make a little goody plate for who ever might need a gift or thank you...babysitter, UPS man (believe me...he used to be at my house every day delivering stuff for work), teachers, neighbors...etc. I usually make sugar cookies in my old-fashioned cookie press, strawberry jems, fudge, spiced pecans, divinity candy, lemon bars, and whatever else is floating my boat. The spiced pecans are super easy and AWESOME!! I will get out the recipe and post it for you all to try.

I love new and easy ways to make food. Luckily, an old friend of mine is now the new Betty Crocker. Her name is Stephanie Ashcraft and she is the Queen of Cooking 101 books. She pretty much rocks. Her cookbooks used to be in the $12-13 range, which with a coupon at trusty B&N would get you down to $10. Check her out. www.recipes-101.com

The intern thing is awesome BTW.

I hope someone gets to read my post, since it is likely the last one of the day! :)

Anonymous said...

I need a gift for a 9-year-old girl. I'm so out of touch with what little girls like now... and she's kind of a tomboy, but still girly (just not princess-y, if that makes sense). Please hook me up with a shopping partner at the Owl's Nest!

My idea for yummy gifts are Oreo balls, which are super easy and require no baking (just some time). Put a package of Oreos into a food processor and pulse until they're finely ground. Add an 8 oz. bar of cream cheese and mix until it's a solid mass. Roll the mixture into small balls, and dip them in melted almond bark/chocolate (I use white almond bark). An insanely delicious and decadent treat! I don't even eat Oreos normally, but this is crazy good stuff.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Wow, the last two contributions of the day and they are great!!!!!

Thanks Amber and Stacie. I will post a note under tomorrow's post.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Im a little late! I sang at the presidents christmas tree lighting then did some more singing elsewhere and passed out when I got home and forgot about the 10 dollar day!

But I love the fun glasses! Plus they look so classy!!!

I'm not generally one to pull out the recipe book and bake goods for the holidays... My grandmother is on top of that game. So I'm thinking something fun to put in them would be dog/cat treats for those who are animal lovers!

Also, this is something Im starting this year.

How many of us have old tshirts that we dont want to throw away for whatever reason but they either dont fit anymore or (as college students) we have sooo many they are taking over the drawers!

You can take tshirts and make them into grocery bags! All you have to do is stitch the bottom closed (so the food doesnt fall out) and cut off the sleves (to make handles)... and you can cut out the collar to enlarge the bag opening.

And did I mention these are free??

Its really just better for the plannet overall anyways!

But... add a 10$ Kroger card (or any ammount) to the bag and it makes a great gift for any college student!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Nice idea, Sarah. I love it and would love to see one finished.