Saturday, December 6, 2008

Ho! Ho! Ho!, Low on Dough: $5.00

Sleep in Saturday?!?!?  I don't think so!  I'm writing this post earlier than normal, for a Saturday, because at 6:00 a.m. I am meeting two of our trusted Highlowaha readers, so we may discuss the future of Highlowaha.

How's that for a cliffhanger?  Good things coming our way.

If you live anywhere in North Texas today is your day!  The Owl's Nest - located at 1220 Prospect Street, in Southlake Town Square, is offering a 10% discount to all Highlowaha readers, from 10:00 a.m-7:00 p.m.  To get your discount, just mention that you read about the Owl's Nest offering on Highlowaha's blog.  The 10% discount is only one of the great reasons to visit the store.  The other is that this toy store is chock full of some of the most original and creative gifts as I have seen in any toy store.  There are items at all price points and, to top it off, they do GREAT wrapping... FREE!  It is worth the trip.
If you visit the store, consider coming back to the blog later today and sharing your review of a favorite item you found.  In addition, we have a small list of readers from around the country for whom we will be looking for creative gift ideas.  If you're one of those people, check in later today to see our ideas.

$5.00.  That's what we've got to spend today.

First let me comment on some of the great suggestions made yesterday.  I think it was Peggy who reminded us that some of the nicest gifts we can give are coupons to be cashed in for our time.  The Walmart and Sonic outing was my personal favorite.  If you didn't get to check in yesterday, it's worth going back to read all the suggestions listed in the comment section.  

I have a few $5.00 gifts I plan on giving this season.  I want to leave something thoughtful in the mailbox for the woman who delivers our mail.  I also want to present something to the barista who serves me every morning, and the unsung heroine of the preschool my boys attend - the woman who cooks their food every day.  Here are two ideas with which I am toying.

My picture isn't great, but imagine the plate ($1.50 at Target) with a candle (on sale at Pier I for $2.98).  The note reads, "Wishing you Merry Christmas."  Grand total $4.48.

I haven't put these together yet, but I intend to fill them with a mix of nuts and chocolate and caramel covered popcorn.  A little green cellophane, a card shaped like a clap board or a marquee and I think it'll make for a thoughtful holiday treat.  The containers were $1.00 at Target.  Cost of popcorn mix, not sure yet. 

My MBA husband couldn't help but chime in with a creative contribution.  Stock!  The silver lining to our worrisome economy is that the price of many stocks has fallen below $5.00.  This year, feed the economy by purchasing someone a share of stock.  Here are some of your options... Ford, 2.72; GM, $4.08; Crocs, $1.38; Gap, $4.23; Krispy Kreme, $2.47.  Or, if you really want to splurge, you can buy Ann Taylor stock at $5.68 or Starbucks at $9.12.

Now it's your turn.  If you found a 5.00 bill what would you buy?  Chances are, what you would buy also makes a nice gift for someone on you list.  Me?  A Venti, Cinnamon Dolce, non-fat, no-whip, and heated to 180 degrees.  In fact, I think I'll head that way right now.

Finally, a thank you to Katie and her Krew for spending the week with us and sharing some of their creative ideas.  We have benefited from your participation this week and certainly hope we can expect to see you in the future.  

Signing off until Monday...
 

18 comments:

Kristen Giger said...

Hmm. . .well, i kinda gave my $5.00 gift idea yesterday, and my brain is half frozen right now as it is a chilly (ok, downright cold) 16 degrees this morning.

I really like the plate and cendle idea. . .looks like Target is going to become a new favorite store.

Here's my best shot: If you happen to be buying for someone not from the city or state where you grews up, how about an ornamet from your hometown? I'd buy one from Erie, this morning I'd probably make it a snowflake or something.

Putting myself on defrost mode. . .I'll be back :)

Kristen Giger said...

Wow, I just reread my post. . .sorry for all the typos. . .we'll blame it on frost bitten fingers!

Anonymous said...

Coke Rewards
69WN X5T6 97NP
Katie

Jess said...

My $5 gift is recipe cards. All you need is a computer and printer and some holiday ribbon. I just pick favorite recipes for an entire five course meal (appetizer, salad, soup, entree and dessert). I then print on a recipe card template found lots of places on line. You tie them up with ribbon and give 'em out. Sometimes I even deliver with the dessert recipe made. Always a big hit for those who like to cook.

Peggy said...

Well to me, its obvious....gift cards to:
Starbucks
Jamba Juice
Oberweiss
McDonalds
Dunkin Donut
Barnes & Noble (a mag you don't normally buy)

What a treat to me to have received a gift card or McDonald's $1 coupons... I think of the person who gave it to me... and I get a special treat on them!!

Just think if you had 10...well, maybe 5 friends who gave you a $5 gift card.... I was able to get two Starbuck treats for one gift card (I had to add a little change for my simple, whats a small cider called?.... it was such a treat because I don't go there, THAT often)from Claudia... and every day for 5 days... I got a delicious Sweet Tea from McDonalds from Katie!!

I reward myself with those gifts I receive and treat myself...because I deserve it!!

What about you?

Katie said...

One of my favorite under $5 gifts is a picture and frame. This could be for a family I babysit for- presenting the parents with a collage of their kids in a nice frame. This could be for a group of friends with a de coupaged wooden frame. Or even for my parents, as I did a few years ago with a collage of my brothers and I.

I think a picture says a thousand words, and as such, I love giving photos and meaningful frames to those on my list.

Anonymous said...

Just got back from Owl's Nest. Very cool. It is now my favorite store. Cassie is running in the Jingle Bell race in Ft Worth tonight so I bought her family Xmas lite necklaces that really light up. Also bought a jingle bell ring for me (too fun) and Xmas gifts for Frankie. I will go back next week and try to shop for the boys.

I think stock is awesome for kids. Great life lesson and fun for them to track. DO IT AND BUY AMERICAN.

Julie said...

Kristen, I just want to let you know that its sunny and 65 outside here! No frost-bitten fingers on my hands!!!

Currently, at Starbucks ... I up-ed my typical Iced Vanilla Coffee to a Carmel Frappuccino today just because it's Saturday!

Under $5 gift ideas ... gift cards have been said numerous times, and I enjoy pictures and frames ... if the person you're shopping for enjoys scrap booking / card making / any sort of crafting ... any place that sells "crafty" stuff should have sheets of stickers for around 1-2 dollars. Those always make me smile!

If anyone's interested in reading about my travels out to AZ from PA, please feel free to visit my blog: www.julieschnepp.blogspot.com

Kristen Giger said...

Where isssss everybody today????

Looking forward to hearing more owls nest stories

Anonymous said...

HELP! I have all the supplies I need to compile my under $10 gift- the last semester-senior year survival kit!!

QUICK- all I need is a clever saying to call it!

Anonymous said...

Julie...on behalf of your sister as well as me...we hate you! It's FRIGID up here!!!! BUT I can't wait to see you in just about 2 weeks :)

$5 ideas...lottery tickets, fun picture frames with a picture from a long time ago...a jar of IOUs or coupons...an address book (we all need a good one)...a "date" to Starbucks (not just a gift card, but actually take them AND buy their drink).

You could also do hot cocoa cones or snowman soup. Here is a link to a website that also has a cute poem you can gift with it. http://organizedchristmas.com/snowman-soup

CKB...no package yet.

Lori...got the check...thanks!

Patrick...check cashed!

Have a good weekend everyone...if you're up north, try not to freeze your butt off!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Hey everyone...

I'm here. I haven't had a chance to post about Owl's Nest yet, as the boys are awake and I want to take pictures of some of my findings.

Suffice it to say we were successful in finding some things and in identifying a item or two for our "remote shoppers." More on that in a little bit.

Based on Tera's report of not yet receiving my Helping Hand box, I am a little worried about asking my next question...

Of those who ordered the Christmas Conversation cards, who has received theirs? Peggy, I received your check in the mail, but I'm wondering if you sent it prior to getting the package in the mail?

Also, regional Coke directors... I mailed each of you a ring with the Paint the Town Red instructions. Have you all received them. I like to assume no news is good news.

Susan, Maureen, and Mary Beth, I've also mailed the two of you items in the past week.

Julie... in answer to your question... yes, I have one left. I will put it in the mail to you on Monday.

What else?

Cassie P... Maybe "'This the season to be jolly... fa, la, la, la, la... you're almost done!"

Katie said...

CKB, I have not received my coke rewards envelope yet. Something is seriously up with the USPS. It took 2.5 weeks for a package I sent to Heather to get there...the one where I called you and told you they tried to charge me for priority since it was over a pound! Yeah, that one!

Peggy said...

Yes, I received my conversation cards the day I emailed you questioning if it included postage. So, I received them the day before I wrote my check.

I think I'm the midwest regional Coke Rewards director (?)...I've not gotten anthing, to paint my town red!

USPS is such a business!!

Katie said...

Montana Kelly,

While I'm thoroughly unhappy about the JMU win in football today, I am excited to say this means we will be playing Montana next weekend in the final 4!

So, are you ready for a little friendly competition like you had with Claudia?! JMU vs. Montana (just PLEASE let the game be Friday night and not Saturday!)

Anonymous said...

The Owl's Nest is a great store...someplace I'll definitely go back to. Lots of unique gift ideas and reasonably priced. We got Lily's Christmas shopping just about done with LOTS of musical items. (Amber I didn't put these on your list but thought you'd probably like most of them too there is a wooden puzzle that is instruments and when you put them in the right place they play music from the instrument also a xylophone for the bath that suctions to the bath wall)

I was also lucky enough to do some shopping for some out of town guests and will forward pictures along to Claudia to post when she chooses.

Nicole Zirnheld Aldridge said...

My $5 gift is really practically free. I got the idea from a gift my son received for his birthday that I actually spent countless hours with. www.finditgames.com - it's a tube filled with all kinds of small items surrounded by plastic pellets. You have to find the 50 or so hidden items. I decided to make my own for my dad for x-mas. I took a tennis ball canister, filled it with wild rice and found about 45 small items around my house - a key, penny, screw, nail, rubberband, rock, shell, feather, etc. You get the idea. Then I made up a master list of all the things inside the tube. I will laminate it and hook a dry erase marker to it so my dad can check off the items as he finds them.

Claudia, I mailed your check on Saturday for the x-mas tin. Sorry it took so long.

Katie said...

I just went to check my mailbox and somehow, my Paint the Town Red envelope arrived...not sure how, though! I got a Coke and placed it on the desk of a woman in our office! Hopefully she will enjoy the surprise in the AM!