Friday, December 12, 2008

Free For All Friday: Final Thoughts, Friendship Parties, and Football

T.G.I.F.

Am I the only one waking up early because of the gajillion things running through my head?  I could fill a legal pad with all the things I want to do in the next couple of weeks, if only I would write them down.  But, if I take time to make a list I have less time to check the items off my list... and on and on the cycle goes.  Instead, I'll continue the same maddening cycle, subjecting all of you to my craziness along the way.

Today's post will be reflective of my mental state... a little all over the place, but important nonetheless.

The good news is that today is Free For All Friday.  If you hate what I have to say then declare mutiny.  Take the blog over and talk about whatever is important to you.  Still looking for a gift idea, packaging suggestions, or a slogan to go along with your gift?  Let the group take a crack at it.  Find a great bargain, a new recipe, or a holiday must-have?  Share it with the rest of us.  Glad it's Friday and ready to celebrate, vent, or reflect?  Lay it on us.  We love that stuff.

As for me... here's what I got.

Final Gift Ideas:  I can't stop.  I saw a few more things I want you to know about.  First, I saw a Girlz Own Bedroom Doorbell.  $11.99 at the Owl's Nest.  Wouldn't that be a fun thing for a young girl to have on her door?  For boys (or girls)...  Zoomorphs.  Picture animal parts... all sorts of animal parts.  Arms, legs, wings, claws, beaks, tails, etc....  Now picture them as separate pieces.  Kids can use the variety of animal parts to morph their own zoo animal (thus the name).   Ssshhh... I couldn't resist buying it for Matthew ($16.99).

Kelly Montana!:  Have you seen Katie's challenge posted in yesterday's announcements? Tonight... James Madison (her school) versus Montana (your school).  Are you up for another challenge?  That's what she wants to know!  There's another ornament hanging in the balance, so let her know!  I heard her say you're "going down!"  Are you going to let her get away with that?

Virtual Baby Shower:  Kristen has generously offered to host our next Friendship Party, January 26-31.  In light of the upcoming baby arrivals, our next Friendship Party is slated to be a baby shower.  Bottom line.  We are looking for 6-8 pregnant women who will come together and form our guest list for January's party.  Kelly, Melanie, and Michelle (where are you)... you are welcome to join us.  In addition to our old standbys, we would love to pull in some new readers.  That's where all of you come in.  Who do you know that is pregnant and will you pass their name along to us?  We need 6-8 women who are due sometime between March and June or July. 

Texas Friends: Calling all women living in the North Texas area!  Kristen's sister in-law will be moving to the Dallas Metroplex area in the spring.  She's decorating a Texas Christmas tree (see post from 12/) and would love to attach the names of contacts her sister in law could call when she arrives.  If you are willing to help welcome Kristen's sister in law to our great state, please pass along your name and contact information.  Kristen's email address is: k_schnepp@hotmail.com. 

Festival of Lights and Ornament Exchange:  It's never too late to join the fun!  Here's a run down.  Festival of Lights will begin at 8:00 p.m. CST.  To participate, just email kklolkmeier@gmail.com a picture of you in front of a holiday decoration.  She must receive by tonight at 9:00 p.m (though, if she got it Saturday morning, she'd probably squeeze it in).    The Ornament Exchange will begin somewhere around 8:15 and should be done by no later than 8:40ish.  To participate in the Ornament Exchange just...
  • Buy an ornament (50% off at most places right now)
  • Send Katie a picture of it unwrapped.
  • Send Katie a picture of it wrapped.
  • Tune in at 8:00 this Sunday.
Football Throw Down:  Round One of the Football Snack Throw Down is over.  Thanks to the 14 of you who participated.  Special congratulations to Richard, Tera, Lori, Nicole, Maureen, Melanie, and Susan,  our seven skilled winners.  Here's what we have to look forward to...
  • December 30, Richard vs. Tera (receive secret ingredient 12/19
  • January 3, Nicole vs. Maureen (receive secret ingredient 12/26
  • January 10, Melanie vs. Susan (receive secret ingredient 1/2
  • January 11, winner of Richard vs. Tera goes up against Lori (who automatically advances).  Receive secret ingredient 1/2.
  • January 18, winner of Nicole vs. Maureen goes up against winner of Melanie vs. Susan, (receive secret ingredient 1/9).
  • February 1, SUPER BOWL!!!!! Coveted Super Bowl is awarded to the winner, (receive secret 1/16).
Cassie Goes on a Road Trip: This Monday Cassie heads on her road trip to Santa Claus, Indiana to hand postmark and deliver our Christmas cards.  Hopefully she's received a handful in the mail.  All you last-minute Louisvillians, maybe if you drop her an email at cpatterson02@bellarmine.edu, she will swing by and pick your card up before leaving on her trip.

Christmas Conversation Question:  If all else fails, how about answering today's Highlowaha Christmas Conversation Question... What is the strangest gift you ever received?

Signing off until tomorrow...

10 comments:

Peggy said...

Me first? I have no answer to your question... well maybe I do... the strangest way to receive a present??

It was our first year of marriage, and dh was into all things creative, really trying hard to surprise me, impress me and show me he cared.

I woke up Christmas morning in our first appartment with the front room all a glow... I was shocked... almost thinking the tree was on fire!!! My husband had been awake for a bit... and he guided me out... I'm like what the heck @#!!...as I walk out... I see this person standing next to the tree and I'm freaked out!!!! He had rented a mannequin, bought me a complete new Christmas outfit (dressed it) and then had a flood light on it, to show off!!!

I was still in shock hours later, he was so creative and had worked so hard! The outfit was cute too!!! I don't know if he's done anything to top that in 18 years!!

Check out my blog for a very nice Christmas story that happened at work this week!!
http://prdesigns.blogspot.com

Katie said...

So far I have photos from Cheryl, Maureen, and Peggy for the Festival of Lights and Ornament Exchange!

However, I have not heard that some of the regulars are in....Heather? Julie? Come on now people!

GO DUKES!!! (that's for you Montana Kelly)

Anonymous said...

Speaking of the "scattered brain" mentality of today. . .I definitely thought YESTERDAY was the deadline for the Christmas tree and ornament pics. I was feverishly trying to get the tree decorated before 9 (and before Grey's came on, which BTW was a rerun), only to realize that today is the "due date." Oh well!! I'll chalk that up as my "aha" of yesterday!

Thanks to any of you DFW-ers willing to send me your contact info.

As a new mom myself, I'm totally looking forward to the baby shower in January. . .it's going to be lots and lots and lots of baby fun!

I will be back later with THE BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe ever!


Julie is in...I have her ornament and will send you those pics shortly :)

is anyone else having problems posting today or is it on my end??

Anonymous said...

The anonymous was me (Kristen Giger) I think this computer is sick today...it won't let me sign in

Anonymous said...

KTK, I'm in...I'll get you the stuff, but probably not until later tonight...sorry for being a slacker!

RICHARD, it's on!

CKB, any chance we can vote for a secret ingredient mid-week instead of the typical Friday? I only ask because with the holidays I'm working a lot of hours and have a lot of baking to do otherwise.

KRISTEN, no, you're the only one having issues...go figure! J/K! I can't wait to see you and my niece over the holiday :)Julie & I are doing a girls day on the 23...you should come get manicures and pedicures with us!

Anonymous said...

Here's the story:
So I havae this very Italian friend (literally. . .her father came over from Italy on a boat). Consequently meal time at the Cipriani household is always a feast. Mrs. Cipriani traded her meatball recipe for the cookie recipe. The thing is, Mrs. Cipriani shares her recipes with anyone. . .apparently not everyone is like that.

Here's what ya need:
3/4 C sugar
3/4 C brown sugar
1 C crisco
2 LARGE beaten eggs
1 tsp. each:salt, baking soda, vanilla
2-3 C clour
3/4-1 C chocolate chips

Here's what ya do:
Mix sugars. Cream Crisco until creamy. Add eggs. Mix well. Add salt, soda (dissolove in a little water), vanilla. Mix well. Add 1 C flour. Add chips. Mix in flour until chips fall out of dough (HINT: error on the side of too much flour)

Bake @ 350 9-13 min.

Please let me know if you try this, and how you like it!
-Kristen Giger again as "anonymous."

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

A random tidbit... Earlier this week I was in Target. They have fun packages of Champagne flutes in deep colors - emerald green, purple, red. There were either two or four in a package.

I still think they could make for fun holiday packaging. I'm still milling over what is tall and narrow that might fit inside. They are screaming for a little celophane and some star garland.

Cheryl Houston said...

I know some gals having babies. I will see if the want to join in for the baby shower fun.

Kristen, I will send you me info. If I forget, please feel FREE to remind me!!

Strangest gift... I can't think of one but I know there are a ton of them!!!

Happy Friday everyone.

Cheryl Houston said...

Damn. I forgot to click follow up comments. Disregard this message. This is Maintenance Comment only.

Anonymous said...

Katie- I am up for the Ornament bet on the Semifinal Game with the MT GRIZ vs your dukes. Looking forward to whipping some butt on yoru turf! Hope it is a good game actually!

And I'm in for the shower in January- due May 8th.