Thursday, April 24, 2008

Operation Mother's Day: Rocks, Paper, Scissors

Some background...

I love paper. All kinds of paper... construction paper, scrap booking paper, BROWN paper (as you already know), butcher block paper, wrapping paper, tissue paper, card board (hard paper), and poster board. Basically there is no form of paper I don't like (and probably collect). And by extension, I do have a healthy collection of scissors. As for rocks... I got nothin'. I just thought the title was catchy. Though... I suppose I can think of a type of rock I wouldn't mind collecting...

A couple of years ago, I was interviewing students for a leadership position and decided I had finally come up with the PERFECT interview question. Nothing cuts to the chase - giving you insight into a person's creativity and imagination (two qualities I actively seek) faster than his or her best story about paper. That's right. You can ask about strengths and weaknesses; things they are most proud of; things they are least proud of; leadership and organizational styles; and the list goes on. But, if you really want to understand someone, you must ask them to tell you their best and proudest moment with paper.

I could make my first round of cuts just by eliminating those people who had absolutely NO idea what I was talking about. If the idea of using paper to create something of meaning completely escaped them, then I knew they would not enjoy hanging out with me and I would have a world of work ahead of me trying to "get them up to speed." The next set of people weren't sure if they knew what I meant, but they gave it a good old college try. They shared stories about a scrap book they started, a present they wrapped, or a journal they cherished. Assuming this second set of students possessed enough of the other qualities we were seeking, I gladly took them on, knowing I would have fun opening them up to whole new world of possibilities.

The third set of people - a very small percentage I might add - immediately understood the question I was asking, and almost seemed annoyed that it took me so long to get there. They immediately became one with their story, telling of homecoming floats made from chicken wire, glue, and tissue paper; palm trees built as props from nothing more than newspaper, flour, water, and bright colored paints; awards ceremonies where the coveted gifts of the evening were handmade awards from the finest, high-quality, thick paper and vellum that you could get your hands on; and whole themes, beginning with a handcrafted invitation, promoted with a creative and complimentary poster or promotional piece, and topped off with a sentimental keepsake made from paper. The acceptance letter for these students was usually signed before they ever made it down my hallway. It was with these students I was most eager to work... knowing that some great new tip or technique would come my way by year's end.

So imagine my excitement - when canvassing my community for favorite Mother's Day gifts - to discover that two of the gifts could be made with paper! We KNOW there are many more than that, as some ideas have already been shared earlier this week (pictures, my Apple-of-my-eye quotes, photos, heart shaped card board boxes with strips of paper revealing mom's best qualities etc...). Today's ideas not only allow us to honor the power of paper, but also two very deserving moms.

First, Andrea. Andrea needs to be my new best friend. She is the high energy aerobic instructor who teaches an early morning class at the gym that I need to frequent more than I do, but that I attend enough to know she is excellent at what she does (a run on sentence, I know. Now you are experiencing the same out-of-breath-feeling that I experience anytime I step foot in her class). Andrea is a self proclaimed new mom, without too many Mother's Days under her belt. Nonetheless, she knew exactly what the best gift was that she had received to date. Her son's preschool teacher had each student answer a questionnaire about their mothers. The questionnaire might have contained questions such as: The thing I love most about my mother is...; My mother is beautiful because...; I love it when my mom...; The thing my mom is best at is...; and so on and so on and so on. Kids Say the Darndest Things is an entire t.v. show based on the premise that children's uncensored answers to our questions are funny, sweet, and honest. I love the idea of this... and then imagine it mounted on nice paper or even matted and framed. Richard, if you're out there and reading this... make note!

Nadya is the second mom we are honoring today. Why do I love Nadya? Because she is the woman with the patience of a saint who takes care of Matthew and 19 other kids from Monday through Friday. Many mornings she - or her bright and cheerful counterpart, Barbara - meet Matthew at the door to greet him. They always use his name when wishing him a good morning and for that two-minute exchange make him feel like the most important child in the building. She fills his days with laughter, play, exploration, and what feels like a genuine affection for him. That, for me, makes her priceless... the most important "other woman" in town. As for Nadya's perfect paper present... a coupon book, co-created by her daughters and chock full of practical and extravagant treats. She recalled some of the coupons for me promising things such as: a clean bedroom; washing dinner dishes; a massage; and painting toe nails. Another great and attainable idea for dads and boy... could I think of a few things for which I would like a coupon?

In fact, let's use that as our segue... Today, instead of channeling our energy around a different gift category, let's brainstorm other fun things for which we would like a coupon OR fun questions that could be posed on a questionnaire completed by our children. And, alright... if you really want to... you can brainstorm other perfect paper presents.

As for me... I'm signing off until tomorrow and with 515 to go...
.

17 comments:

maureen said...

My daughter went to a Catholic School here on LI. During Christmas the halls were decorated with these 3D snowflakes. They are actually 6 pieces of printer paper that are folded, twisted and cut. Then they are stapled together to form the snowflake. My daughter came home and said the teachers had no idea how to make them, that they had been made years ago. She sat down (being an amazing artist) and figured it out. Now every school (and my home) looks like a winter wonderland for Christmas. They are hung with nylon string and look so beautiful. They are the cheapest decorations I have ever purchased and can be stored away for years to come.

Claudia, Krysten actually collects the different scissors like you.. I just bought her a paper cutting machine called CRICUT ( I recommend it to everyone) her school projects and scrapbooks look awesome..

Now there's a Mothers Day gift idea for you!

maureen said...

I heard from Julie Cole via email. She visited the site and said she doesn't think she's the right one. Her middle initial isn't "A". Are you sure of the middle initial? I told her that if it were a mistake I would email her and let her know what was happening.

Well at least she did visit the site.........

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Maureen and others... I don't know where I got the "A" from, but I can't imagine I pulled it completely out of thin air.

Nonetheless, the only other facts I have about her are: (1) she worked with Girl Scouts, and (2) she according to the info I was looking at, seemed to be in her early 40's.

If she fits any two of those three bills, then I am willing to accept that we have found her! Do you know anything about her age?

Anonymous said...

Everyone:
I think the Julie Cole that you are referring to lives in Lincoln NE and belongs to the wood carvers club there. She recently presented to a group of cub scouts. I sent an email to the head of this group...we shall see if I get a response, but I am pretty sure this is the Julie A. Cole.

Cheryl Houston said...

copy and paste these links to find great Mother's Day Coupons:

http://www.kidsturncentral.com/holidays/mothers/mcoupons.htm

http://homeschooling.about.com/od/holidays/ss/mothersprint.htm

http://www.allfreeprintables.com/mother/index.shtml

Here's a game to play if you get together with Aunts at Moms house or just have other families at a get together.
Divide into mother/child teams.(Like the Newlywed game). Ask the mothers to leave the room while the children sit in chairs.
Ask the same four or five questions to each child about their mothers. Bring in the mothers and ask them the same questions. Will the mother and child have the same answers?
If playing like the Newlywed Game switch places and see how well the mother's know the children.
Award a red carnation to the winning mother/child team.
Question Ideas:
Favorite color, movie, dress, animal, memorable moment with you, best friend, hobby, talent, food, animal, cartoon, pizza topping, ice cream topping, restaurant. Most embarrassing moment. Favorite holiday.

I didn't make that up. I got it from www.mothersdaycelebration.com that has TONS of stuff dedicated to Mom.

Anonymous said...

When I was younger I made coupon books for both mother's and father's day (my allowance wasn't enough to get them anything "real").

Some of the coupons I remember making were
*free car wash
*emptying the dishwasher (with out complaing) for a week
*a day at the zoo (we had a zoo pass so it was free)
*a shopping date (knowing very well mom would end up buying ME something)

A coupon book is a great idea...but it's how you make it and present it. That's where the paper part comes in! You can create the book in so many ways!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a new reader from Philadelphia, PA and I LOVE your blog. My amazing co-worker, Shari passed it on to me and I am currently sharing it with some other friends.

I have been trying to catch up (just finished March and started April) and was wondering if it was too late to get my Colorstrology Profile (from April 4th post). If it's not too late, my b-day is August 28th.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Melissa... Welcome to highlowaha! I recognize Shari's name and believe she has been a fun contributor to our comment section.

Already I can tell I like you.... interested and curious enough to go back and read past blog entries AND enough of a go-getter to ask for exactly what you want! ... A nice combination.

So, because of your willingness to put yourself out there and make a post AND your enthusiasm for my site... I will see your request for your Colorstrology Profile and raise you one package!

Here's the deal... you mentioned you were sharing the site with some of your other friends. You bring me five more fun and loyal readers like yourself and I will send you a package filled with fun items featuring your Colorstrology Color!

Are you in? I will trust you to bring me five legitimate readers (not one-time viewers) in exchange for my offer. You are connected to Shari... who, if I remember correctly is connected to Treye... who is also connected to Tera... some of the most honest and ethical people I know. That, by extension, makes you trustworthy.

One more thing...For me to know, they are hooked in... they will have to post a comment using your name AND referencing a favorite post to date. If they also include their birthday, I will gladly post their Colorstrology Profile (added incentive).

Now for your Colorstrology Profile...

August 28... Apricot (a vibrant and refreshing shade of orange). Stylish, Bighearted, Independent. If you were born on this day you have a strong sense of individuality and do not follow others easily. You have talent for looking good, and people will look to you to set trends. You are stylish and innovative, and you dress and act the way you want. You are bighearted, and love plays an important role in your life. Compatible birthdays: February 18, April 27, and November 9.

Anonymous said...

I am so up to this challenge...just give me a couple days and I will get some new readers!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Melissa... No rush. I'll wait longer if I think it will yield me enthusiastic "blog groupies."

Cheryl Houston said...

Whoa! I prefer "Professional Blog Commenter" please.

:)

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Reader jump start...

Ok,it is 2:30 Central Standard and still no questionnaire questions and only a few coupon suggestions...thanks to Tera.

Can we put our heads together and generate a few before the day is over? I picture hundreds of men logging on waited with baited breath for our insights. We don't want to let them down.

I'll start...

Coupon ideas... sort socks; scratch my back for 15 straight minutes; breakfast in bed, serving hot belgium waffles...

Questions... My mommy looks pretty when she wears...; you know my mommy is mad when...; and my mommy's favorite thing to do is...

Cheryl, I must say... I LOVED your contribution and if I was part of a mom's group, I would most assuredly coordinate the game you shared... stage, props, the whole nine yards.

Cheryl Houston said...

Okay, okay... I put my mind to it and here's what I came up with:

Mommy is most like what animal?
If Mommy had a super power, what would it be?
The best thing my mom ever taught me was ___________.
How old is Mommy?
My mom makes me laugh when she ______.

Cheryl Houston said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl Houston said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It has been a very long day complete with four pies in the face...but here goes nothing.

I know my Mommy loves me because...
Mommy is...
Mommy's job is...

coupons:
Empty and load the dishwasher
One free hug and kiss
Painted toe nails (from the kids not a professional)
Hairstyle (again from the kids)
One night of Mommy's movie pick

Speaking of pies last I checked the Big Give Pie in the Face challenge had raised $435!!! and I think several folks had not yet submitted their money.

close2it said...

I apologize if these are repeats of others. Here's what I have off the top of my head...

Coupons:
*back rub
*set the table
*dinner clean up
*breakfast in bed
*1 hr. with no interruptions

Questions:
*My mom is best at...
*Without my mom....
*I love my mom more than...
*The most special thing about my mom is...
*I love to ____ with my mom.
*My mom is cool because....