Monday, April 21, 2008

Behind Every Successful Man is a... Mother!

Calling all men! Yes, while I anticipate our female readers will thoroughly enjoy this week's "theme," it is the men in our lives who can truly benefit from what's in store. So, if you are a married woman and your husband hasn't left for work yet... jot down the blog address (highlowaha.com) and send him off to work with it in hand. If he's already at work... click the envelope icon and pass it along. If you're not married, but have a father, step father, uncle, or brother... pass the address along to them. And, finally... if you are a man and you are reading this... get ready to start sharing.

This week we will prepare for Mother's Day by honoring mothers and hearing what they have to say about the favorite Mother's Day gift they've either given or received. Why will the men in our lives like this so much? Because this week's blog (and reader comments) should be chock full of great gift ideas. Now, to keep it interesting I will help pace us by providing a daily gift descriptor (i.e. luxurious, sentimental, funny, practical, etc...) So, if you the reader have a gift idea to share, try to hold it for the day that seems best suited.

And, if that isn't enough reason for the men in our lives to tune in then how about this?... On Friday... Free For All Friday.. we will actually look ahead to Father's Day. We will ask all the men in our lives to share with readers the gift they would most like to receive for Father's Day. This will be great incentive for women to tune in, as if you are anything like me... I am always in search of the next great gift idea.

Before we get completely underway, some Maintenance Monday Housekeeping...
  • Today is the LAST day for us to make contact with Julie A. Cole before rendering our experiment a bust and having to take Anon up on her offer to make direct contact with Julie. So, let's see what our resourceful readers can do in the next 17 hours or so.
  • Julie A. Cole, if you're out there and wondering why the heck your name is plastered all over this blog site, check out the archived blog labeled, On Your Mark, Get Set, Go! (4/7).
  • We were so busy providing thoughtful suggestions to the author of last week's challenge, that nobody new came forward with a Free-For-All-Challenge for this week. So, if you're willing... share a dilemma and the this great readership will use their collective creativity to help generate ideas.

Thanks for all the kind words leading up to Matthew's birthday. We had a great day. The weather cooperated... presenting us with a perfectly sunny, 85 degree day. I've posted a couple of pictures, compliments of my neighbor who thankfully kidnapped my camera and took all the pictures I would have liked to have taken, but simply did not have the time.




Now onto Operation Mother's Day...

I will warm us up for the week by sharing the best gift I received and gave. First gave...

Years ago I went through a phase where I loved giving people containers filled with rolled up scrolls of either inspirational quotes, study tips (for students going off to grad school), etc..... In my mind, the ideas "fun-factor" increased exponentially when I found red, Lucite, apples. That way... I could package the apple with cellophane and ribbon with a note attached saying something such as... "One a day will keep the blues away."

A couple of years ago I filled one of the apples with 52 scrolls - each sharing a different thing about my mother that I loved, or for which I am thankful. A few examples were: "Providing a nightly sit-down family dinner."; "Teaching me to have a sense of occasion."; and "Role modeling what it means to be a good citizen by coordinating events for the Douglaston Manor Association all these years." I topped the package off with plenty of ribbon and shred and a note saying... "You are the apple of my eye." I know the gift means something to my mother, because frequently she will call after having opened one to say, "thank you." I should also say... the scrolls were meant to last 52 weeks, but my mom won't open one a week. She says she is trying to pace herself.

Now, for one of the best gifts I have received. Will I sound terrible if I do a complete departure from something sentimental and share something... extravagant? Two years ago, my husband and kids presented me with a beautiful and expensive Pentax Camera. I LOVE this gift, because it is something I use every week and most weeks multiple times! The history-major in me is fixated on documenting my children's lives through pictures... and other "archival" data. The camera has brought me great joy... and provided many a keepsake for friends, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and babysitters!

Ok, so the theme for the day will be EXTRAVAGANT gift ideas. Readers... let it rip.

Signing off until tomorrow and...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny you are! Do you have your own butcher paper rack? Or just stock in a paper/posterboard company? Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Seeing as how this is my first official Mother's Day (which my husband reminded me one year ago when I was 9 months pregnant and he wouldn't go for a gift) I don't have any stories about my favorite Mother's Day gifts but hopefully this year will start the memories.

As far as gifts I've given my Mom...well extravagant I am not so I'll have to sit this one out and wait for practical to show up.

maureen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
maureen said...

This will be my 18th Mother's Day. I have gotten everything from macaroni necklaces to diamonds. My favorite gift that I received was when my kids made breakfast for me in bed. I must tell you that at the time my kids were 10,7,and 2. It was so cool because they worked so hard to make it presentable. My 7 yr old daughter even picked dandelions for me. They told me that they had no money but it was the thought that counts. My husband of course was right behind them with my gift which couldn'c come close to my breakfast in bed. My son is 18 in 2 weeks and he still makes me breakfast on Sundays, he tells me its pay back time... He's a great cook so I look forward to it...

I am a very extravagant gift giver. I love to buy people things they wouldn't or couldn't purchase for themselves. I bought my mom a "Dooney and Bourke " pocketbook she wanted but wouldn't dare spend the money on... She goes everywhere and tells everyone where she got it. It is still her favorite gift. The only problem is its getting harder to top my own gifts....

Cheryl Houston said...

I've only been a mom for 7 years and I'be been divorce for most of those. Last year my mom was in Dallas with us and she gave the boys a turquois necklace to give me that I love. And, then I've gotten the plaster hand prints and painted pots that just touch my heart more than anything. I'm sure there were gifts in the first couple of years that the ex helped with but I can't remember them.

Now, as a daughter, I can only remember a couple of things and I know it's never been anything extravagant so I'll hold on to what I've given.

If I wanted something extravagant what would it be? When I started studying architecture and then art in college, I have always wanted to go to Greece. A vacation to Greece would be totally EXTAVAGANT!!!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Thanks for all the contributions so far. Remember women... the value of this week's site will increase with every contribution you make!!! We are looking for the maximum number of contributions, so the men in our life have plenty of choice.

Today's gift descriptor... EXTRAVAGANT.

So, whether you are a mother, have a mother, or aspire to be a mother... share your idea of an extravagant gift.

Anonymous said...

Mother's Day holds lots of emotion for me. Last year I got my first "made" gift from my boys - Matthew made me a macaroni bracelet at school which came in a decorated box. It was very sweet. Other presents from "they Boys", which includes my husband, have been gift certificates to get my nails done and flowers sent early in the week. This year Mother's Day/Matt's 40th Birthday (my husband's birthday falls either on or around Mother's day-so sometimes his birthday trumps Mother's Day) will be spent on the beach in Mexico, without kids - thanks to my mother-in-law watching the boys, her mother's day gift was a plane ticket to visit us.
As for the best gift that I've given, I don't know if it's the best, but one year I gave my mom a statute, which had a family all holding hands in a circle. It is more of an abstract/native piece. It was representative of our small family. Now that she's passed, the statute sits on my dressing table in my room and it reminds me of her.
Claudia - it looks like Matthew's party was great! Next time I'm recruiting you to be my party planner.

maureen said...

How about a brand new computer to be able to return to this site quicker..... LOL or a wireless laptop to be able to return from anywhere!!!!!

Extravagant..... I would love a ring with 3 (1carat diamonds) a diamond to signify the birth of my 3 kids...

More extravagant.... a 2009 Lexus LX570.....

That would be MY ULTIMATE GIFT.... So what gas prices are out of control....

Anonymous said...

I've never given my mother an extravagant Mother's Day gift, probably due to my financial situation. Also, I wouldn't have the slightest idea what type of "extravagant gift" my mother would enjoy. So I guess it just goes to show why this is a good topic for this group.

I'll be able to chime in more when it comes time for sentimental gifts - and I'd be willing to guess others will have lots to say as well.

Anonymous said...

Claudia,
If I had to pick an extravagant gift it would come out of a page in your book. I'd love a really nice digital camera.
However, I think this year I'll have to defer to a really nice suit and hairstyle as Mother's Day is perfectly timed directly before my trip to Dallas on May 12/13.

Anonymous said...

hmmm no extravagant gift ideas here...more sentimental i guess. my mom's birthday was last friday; and as mother's day is also approaching (and as i am a college student!) i combined her bday gift and mother's day gift this year. nothing hand made or all that extravagant OR sentimental, but still thoughtful...i got her a coffee mug- because she drinks coffee just about every morning. it has some cute saying on it about how awesome moms are; and she also got a shirt from old navy. i will have a great sentimental gift that i gave her when i was a senior in high school that ill share on the sentimental day!

Anonymous said...

nice piece, yolanda
(yes, I am keeping up with my promise)

Anonymous said...

I seem to struggle to connect extravagant with thoughtful. Perhaps because I have never been in the position to do both, so focus on the latter. It seems the camera covered both, however, so it is possible! Hopefully after my expected lottery windfall, I am able to continue to be thoughtful, while extravagant.

I try to be so creative and sentimental when picking a mothers day gift (some great ideas here today!)……I wonder if I would be as careful and thoughtful if my budget wasn’t so tight? Indulgent and meaningful seems more difficult to me than thoughtful on a shoestring.

Hmmmm,
-Anon

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Deep thought by Anon! I like it!

It does seem that the most memorable gifts are those that cost the least. Perhaps, because what we don't have in financial resources we make up for in thoughtfulness. It is at that place we are most forced to consider what is truly meaningful to someone. Comparatively speaking... spending large sums of money seems far easier.

Having said that... a little bit of luxury every once in a while can feel great.... however you define "luxury." Maybe that's a fun angle for today's segment...

What would you define as luxurious? For me... manicures and pedicures... monthly!

Anonymous said...

Yolanda,
Glad you stopped by!