Friday, April 18, 2008

Free For All Friday: Fun-In-A-Box, Firemen, and Farewells

TGIF everyone. Thank you all for a great week. The 159 visitors we had view the site yesterday put us at a grand total of 3,883. We are closing in on the magical number 5,000, with only 1,117 views left and thirteen days left to do it. Of course, by now it is well publicized that if I don't reach this goal, I must post a picture of myself wearing a bathing suit on the blog. One very loyal friend resorted to calling her friends and colleagues and making them log onto the site while she waited on the phone. I love - and FULLY endorse - the approach.

Maybe something not as clearly known by all is.... why the goal? The origin of this race to get to 5,000 by April 16 dates way back to February 22, just a couple of days after I started blogging. A number of people questioned why the name of my blog was highlowaha.com. I decided I would reveal the origin of the name when we hit 5,000 readers. When the prediction was made that April 16 would be the date, I jumped on it. It seemed possible and the date was already special, as it is Matthew's birthday. So, you are working with me to hit 5,000 not JUST so I don't have to put my pride on the line (or the Internet as the case may be), but also so you can learn - with certainty - the origin of my blog name. Now for the business of the day...

Fun-In-A-Box:

As many of you know, my family and I like to periodically celebrate Fun in a Box Friday. To learn more about this family tradition in detail see February 29 (Fun in a Box Friday). In summary, we have a box filled with fun activities (watch a movie, eat dessert in a tent, play a game, visit our favorite isle in Target, etc...). A family member periodically pulls one from the box and then we spend the evening doing whatever the strip of paper revealed. Today I will add a new strip of paper to the box, in honor of all our talk about paper bags earlier in the week.

How could I have forgotten to share this fun and fabulous idea? Not only is it fun for your family, but it can be a great icebreaker or team builder. Introducing PAPER BAG SKITS... Fill a BROWN PAPER BAG (grocery size) with approximately 8-10 random items from your house. It is not essential to divide your group into teams, but I think it is a touch more fun. Tell the group their goal is to develop a fun skit or song somehow incorporating all items placed in the bag. Each group gets about 10-12 minutes to work on their skit and then you get to sit back, watch, and laugh. For added fun... pop some popcorn.

Firemen:

Cheryl presented me with what I considered to be the biggest Free-For-All-Friday challenge to date. After waiting out a tornado threat, just the day before, Cheryl raised a number of questions about the appropriate response and supplies for future emergencies. Not only is this a topic I am not knowledgeable about, but I felt the added challenge of keeping it interesting... or dare I even say... creative.

I decided fulfilling this request required a road trip to our local fire station. So, one day last week I loaded the boys into my car and off we went. The boys loved the invitation to climb on a fire truck and I had no major objection to... shall we say, the scenery. Cheryl and others, here is what they had to say (in bullet form):
  • First and foremost, don't ignore neighborhood sirens when they go off. Some towns sound the alarms for strong winds and others reserve the alarms exclusively for tornado warnings. Either way, take cover when the alarm goes off.

  • You stay in the closet until the storm passes... WHICH YOU WILL KNOW by listening to a portable radio or to a weather radio (approx. $30.00 at some place like Radio Shack).

  • The difference between listening to a portable radio and listening to a weather radio is that the weather radio has direct broadcasting from the National Weather Service.

  • A safety kit is a good idea and should contain items such as: portable radio (for reasons just discussed; spare batteries; flashlight; non-perishable food items, such as granola bars; a blanket, bottled water; a first aid kit; a cell phone; and in the event long term power outages must be withstood... canned food.

  • The closet you hide in must NOT be one with an outer wall.

  • The suggestion to bring a mattress in the closet is to assure you have coverage for you head, in the event a tornado hits. If that doesn't seem realistic, maybe sofa cushions or something else well-padded would work.

  • If you are outdoors seek cover in a low area, even if it means digging a ditch.

  • For more information about emergency responses, the firemen suggested consulting the website of your local t.v. news station. For those in the Grapevine, Colleyville, Euless area Channel 5 News was recommended.

  • Finally, consider conducting your own interview with your local fire station. I asked if it was the kind of thing they would welcome and there seemed to be resounding agreement that they thought it would be great.

  • Hopefully that helps a bit and thanks for the fun assignment. Readers... feel free to contribute any additional tips you might have.
Farewell:

No, this is not a repeat of my April Fool's prank. It is the lead in to today's challenge... submitted to me via email, from a shy and very plugged in reader. Before we begin creatively problem solving... a little background...

Some people walk into work watching the clock and counting minutes until they get to leave again. Others report to an office and bide their time doing good work, but never fully feeling connected to what it is they do. Still others are excellent at their chosen fields, making a difference in the lives of others and feeling rewarded as a result. Finally comes the last group - a group that probably represents less than one percent of the working population. For this group of people, their work is truly an extension of who they are. They are so well suited for what it is they do that their job is not work... it is a calling. In the words of Paulo Coelho, author of The Alchemist (I HIGHLY recommend) it is their Personal Legend. The person for whom we are brainstorming today falls into this category.

She has been in her position (and office) for close to eight years. During that time she has done the only thing she knows how to do - developed incredibly strong relationships with various students while working with them in leadership positions. Her office has been the stage whereby so many of the meaningful relationship have been established. Students' stories (happy, painful, funny, and sad) have been shared within those four walls. Campus traditions and programs have been born in that office. Life long dreams and future plans have been shared while sitting in the well worn and infamous chair perfectly positioned in the corner. In summary, this office space is meaningful to her, not because she is anti-change, but because so much of the work that means so much to her has been conducted in that space. To move from it and start over somewhere else might feel like arriving at your comfy home only to find it has been painted stark white and all personal belongings have been removed.

And yet, at the end of this academic year... our reader must move from her office and start over in another spot on campus. The challenge for us...

What creative suggestions do we have for how our reader can adequately bring closure to her experience in the beloved office space? Similarly, what might she do to bring closure for the droves of students who have come to know and love that space as a safe haven - a place to go to receive unconditional support from a friend and mentor? Brainstorm away and as always... I will weigh in next Friday.

Signing off and Reaching for 5000...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny we should be discussing safety today as early this morning in KY, IL, and IN there was an earthquake. Nothing like laying in bed and feeling everything shake! I never thought living here that I'd need to know safety tips for an earthquake.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the earthquake added an interesting twist to a Friday morning.

Ideas for a fellow student affairs colleague:
If you are anything like me there are things in your office which students have come to know and love (and which really mean more than the four walls they are hung on)...for me it is the Family Weekend icons (life preserver and Sheriff's badge) which hang from my wall, the credenza which so professionally is PILED high with student programming materials, and of course the pictures of Lily which students drop by to check out every so often.
Certainly, dear reader, you will be able to take that infamous chair with you to your new office and can find a suitable corner in which to place it. That along with all the other things from the office should make it feel more like "home" (or "home away from home").

As far as getting students to embrace the move...this could prove more difficult as you of course have to change their habits or patterns of behavior which led them to drop by your office in the first place. For me, I'm located just above the campus cafe so students who might otherwise sit and enjoy a coffee bring it to my office to enjoy over good conversation. So...maybe it is a challenge (think Highlowaha here) that offers up a prize at the end of the week for every student that has made the trek to your new office. That way they get familiar with your new digs and begin to feel that same level of comfort as they felt in the old office.
Good luck!

Katie said...

I agree with Heather when she says that the "things" in the office are far more important than the actual space. Sure, it is difficult to not be in the same four walls, but ultimately, for me, it is the person in the office and their "things" that make the 4 walls seem like home.

What if you included some of those students in helping you move? That way, they are there with you to help you create this new space. You obviously don't want a large number of them as they'll ultimately be in the way, but what about a few of them who that mentor/friend connection is strongest with? I think they will feel more "at home" again in this new space if they are there to help you create the new space.

Cheryl Houston said...

Real quick... My favorite quote that I stole from a school teacher friend many years ago before I had kids of my own goes like this, "Firemen are our friends. They're so tall and strong and handsome!" It's stuck with me for so long that my boys get so embarassed when I say it and I even got a fireman sweatshirt for Christmas last year!!! I could go on and on about how I love firemen but I won't. :) What a fun field trip and thanks for the info. Now, let me think on this office move and I will post more later. :)

maureen said...

Thanks for the paper bag idea.I have a girl scout sleepover in my kids school tonight. I think it would be a lot of fun for the girls to do. The winner will get to chose the movie we watch before we go to sleep. They cant seem to all agree so this should be fun.

As for the safety discussion, here in NY we don't worry about earthquakes (maybe we should) our latest concern is that the Pope is in town. We are always worried that terrorists are targeting "NY". I don't know what is better there must be a happy medium!

As someone raised in one home all her life I can relate to being attached to the "four walls". When I got married and moved out I was "scared". I have now grown so attached to the home and memories I have made with my husband and children that I have lived here since 1990. I have no intention to ever move. I too do not do well with change but "stuff happens" and somehow we are all resilient and take what we have and work with it. If new memories are created the new "four walls" will become "home" too. I am certain that this will all come to pass and everyone will settle in and be happy. I wish you happy "New Memories" in your new office.

Anonymous said...

The walls and funishings are not important. YOU are the office, your policies, guidance and meaningful support. You take the office with you. DON'T decorate or reproduce what you are leaving. Embrace change and be a role model for always looking forward with the experience and knowledge of where you have been. Open door policy for old and new. Don't look back and race forward.

Anonymous said...

oops, I forgot to sign. My recommendation at 1235p.
Toni

Anonymous said...

oops, I forgot to sign. My recommendation at 1235p.
Toni

Jess said...

One thing I would say is that although my time in this field is limited, I am always surprised at how non-resistant to change students are. I always anticipate more problems than I have yet to experience. They handle moves and change in staff better than I ever think they well.

As for an idea: my Mom owned a greenhouse for a few years. She moved locations at one point, and celebrated with a grand re-opening, inviting regular customers as well as the entire community to an open house. Along the back wall, she had painted several vines and stems. Customer and their kids came in and dipped their hands in one of the many colors of paint she made available and made a hand print along the wall—creating flowers of sort along the greenery she had already placed there. Perhaps your friend needs to create a way to get students invested in her new space, rather than focusing on the old one. I don’t know how her institution would feel about painting flowers on the walls, but perhaps something else would allow students to make their mark on the new space. Ceiling tiles, in drop ceilings make great canvases! The counseling center at BU reccently moved and created a great floor rug that community members painted on. It was made out of a canvas material and then some sort of acylic paint sealed and protected it.

Anonymous said...

One more thought. Don't go with pre-conceived decorating ideas. Listen and learn for awhile THEN make your mark based on what is warranted. You may find the Students want to design their support space themselves. So it feels and looks like them. Wait and have them guide you.

Toni

Cheryl Houston said...

I agree with Toni- YOU are the office. I think that an invitation should be sent out to celebrate the new office. Have a drawing, put up a canvas or posterboard to have people sign or draw or whatever. This is all good and students will embrace you in your new space.

But, it doesn't address letting go of the old office space and how to commemorate it because it has been a special part of your life. I think the size of the office will limit any type of party or celebration. Maybe you send an invite for students to come by at any time before the move and take their picture in "the chair" and create an album that has a prominent position in the new office.

What about a parade? Complete with playing horns and drums and you with the baton leading the way to your new office. Student participation required. I'm thinking like the one displayed in the movie "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" at the end at the mom's birthday.

Whenever I think about change, I think about the book "Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson. It talks about how individuals experience change. Accept it and adapt? Or, reject it and die?

Well, that's not a happy note to end on... so, Firemen are our friends. They're so big and tall and strong and handsome! LOL! Good luck with your move!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Since the likely hood of the person for whom we are brainstorming making a post is relatively small, let me say "thank you" on her behalf. I know she will find some valuable nuggets in what has already been posted. Keep them coming.

Jessica Randall... HELLO! So nice to have you in our community! And, what a grand entrance to make... The story about your mom and her greenhouse is fabulous. I want to think of a way and a reason to steal that idea.

close2it said...

I'm sure you've all watched the orgainzation shows where the hosts make people get rid of their "stuff." They always say it's the memory you love, not the actual item. Before they take the items away from them, they always have them take a picture of the item so the memory never leaves them.

Maybe a picture(s) of your current space nicely framed or turned into a scrapbook page to hang in your new space will always leave you with good memories of your time in your space. It will also allow students who stop by to see you to do the same.

If you don't know any scrapbookers, I'd be happy to make a page up for you and send it your way.

Anonymous said...

My parents had a kid's tornado kit. Living in Tornado Valley parts of Indiana/Kentucky- it seemed we were always in the basement (or closet for some families)...we had a bucket of coloring books, drawing paper, scissors, tape, crayons and markers. Fun could be had by all ages while we waited out the storm.