Wednesday, April 9, 2008

1-800-Maven Trap

A quick update: 
Whatever all of you are doing out there - it is working!  As of this moment (7:00 a.m.), we have 360  people who have visited the web site yesterday.  That puts our grand total at 2,623.  We have one week left until April 16 - and 2,377 more times that highlowaha.com must be viewed. A look at Googleanalytics (thanks to my good friend, Katie) would suggest that readership on the weekend is less than it is during the week. Therefore... one last big push during the later part of this week will be key to hitting our magic number.
  
Also, we had a few new people post comments yesterday.  Thanks for engaging... Treye, Allison, and Patrick.  We look forward to hearing more from all three of you.

Get ready to "Workshop"
Monday we warmed up with Six Degrees of Separation (which is still actively being pursued by some very tenacious readers) and yesterday (4/8) we explored the importance of CONNECTORS (people who know a lot of people) when trying to make an idea "tip."  Today, we are going to look at another type of person who plays an essential role in spreading ideas.... MAVENS.  Perhaps I can best illustrate a maven by giving you some examples.
  • A number of years ago I received an email from my friend in California informing me that Gap t-shirts were on sale for a quarter of their normal price.  At the time I lived in Georgia.  
  • This same person sent me another email a few years later telling me that a certain brand of coffee was on sale in supermarkets.  At that point I was living in Kentucky.
  • Yesterday I received an email from a different friend in California telling me of a job opening at a University in Dallas.
These people are mavens.  They LOVE information.  In fact, the only thing they love more than information is the idea of sharing information with others.  They want you to know when there is a great sale on anything from t-shirts to coffee to gas to airplane tickets; when an important date is approaching (last day to register to vote in November election); or when a new model of an old gadget is hitting the market.
  
Why are these people important to helping your idea tip?  Because mavens love information, they are often on the front end of an idea or trend.  They scan their environment for what's worthy of sharing and then swiftly go about providing you the best possible form of advertising... WORD OF MOUTH. We might all have received the newspaper informing us that Gap t-shirts were on sale, but the details associated with the ad (dates, price, type of shirt) are registering mostly with our MAVENS.  If they are excited about the idea, they can not help themselves in spreading the word.  They might not know as many people as CONNECTORS, but they possess information and get truly enthused about passing it along.

Companies have learned the benefit of knowing who their loyal mavens are - people who use their product and love telling others about it.  They build what Gladwell refers to as Maven Traps.  These are tools employed to get one step closer to the mavens utilizing their product. I'm looking at a bottle of shampoo right now - Suave Shampoo for Men.  On the back of the label there is a small note reading, "The Suave Promise: Full satisfaction guaranteed or we will replace or refund your purchase.  For details call us at 1-800-782-8301.  Now really... this is a $1.89 bottle of shampoo.  All it has to do is lather when my husband applies it to his hair and leave his hair looking relatively clean.  What real reason would he ever have to actually call the 1-800 number?  Even better, who would actually take time from their day to call the number and lodge a complaint?  A MAVEN, that's who.  They are Maven Traps because only a maven would think to call and when they do, you better believe Suave is making note.  They know chances are they have a MAVEN on their hands and that, whatever the outcome, he or she can't wait to tell someone about it!  

My friend Dawn is the consummate MAVEN.  She loves information, but more importantly... she LOVES sharing the information she has.  For years she and I, along with my sister, a number of my friends, her family, and her friends all stayed in touch through our travel agent (this, of course,  has since been replaced by Expedia and others).  Dawn happenstanced on a great travel agent, Jennifer Ferguson, who worked very hard and always found you the cheapest deal possible.  Once Dawn found her, she could not resist telling everyone she knew about her great discovery.  Before you know it... Dawn and a huge network of people she knew were all using Jennifer.  So, if I wanted to know what Dawn was up to and she was too busy to return my calls, I could always call Jennifer to get an update.  It might also be worth noting that the travel agent lived in California, Dawn was in Arizona, my sister was in New York, I was in North Carolina, and our circle of friends were comparably spread around the U.S. .  An additionally funny note... none of us ever met Jennifer, but we all had our own bet going on what she looked like (my image... tall, long blond hair, slender.  Dawn's guess... average height, brown hair, and slightly over weight). 

Concept applied... Albeit limited, there is information associated with my highlowaha.com site. You have to know and remember the address; the focus of the website - to share a creative idea a day - except for Sundays; maybe even some special features such as Whack on the Side of Head Wednesday and Free for All Fridays; how long it's been around; etc...  See some people would know about, and even use, the website but wouldn't get a charge out of sharing the information with other people.  Others might think to share the information, but then the details might be forgotten (address, etc...).  Mavens are the perfect combination of both - information and the desire to share.

So, who what mavens do you know and how might you employ them to promote your idea? D.O. which of the parents at your school who are MAVENS?  If so, what is there experience and how are you helping to mobilize them to share the benefits with their friends and neighbors of sending a student there?  H.S.  What mavens do you have on campus?  How can you intentionally feed them with information about your campus-wide event, knowing that they won't resist passing it along?  N.A.... Do you know who your mavens are?  People currently using your product and raving about it to others?  If you know who they are, it might be worth making sure they are first to know about a new design or product offering.  Once they know, they won't be able to resist sharing it with their friends, neighbors, and colleagues. 

You want to test your MAVEN-like abilities?  See the envelope-looking icon at the bottom of today's post?  Click on that and then share highlowaha.com with someone(s) you know, by forwarding today's (or any other day's) in an email.

Signing off until tomorrow when we take time out to Whack Ourselves on the Side of the Head... 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never been able to gauge what category I fall into...a little connector, a little maven...hmmm. What are your thoughts.

On another note, Melanie and I were out shopping for items for her fundraising exploits when we noticed at Target the greatest beach toys, plastic boats(super cute!), mini sand buckets, and other various other super fun designs that would be PERFECT for Matthew's birthday party. Our thought was that these mini beach pails would be the best goodie bags to fill with other beach themed ideas. And the best part? They were all only 99 cents, back in the toy aisles in big bins by the pool toys.
Talk to you later today.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Beeny, I meant to post this last week but forgot. Anyways, I was thinking of you b/c I had to use a hot glue gun at work, and it brought back memories of putting together those little docks for Family Weekend in your kitchen. Fun times.

Also, can I get my birthday colorstrology - August 6.

Anonymous said...

H-- funny that you mention that stuff at Target because when I was visiting them in March, the two of us saw those at Target, had them in our hands and then she said she'd go back later to get them once she had a more concrete thought in mind! Great minds think alike!

Cheryl Houston said...

Another way to spread info: Do you have a myspace account? Post a bulletin with highlowaha.com. I don't know if facebook and others have a bulletin page. :)

Anonymous said...

Melanie - I have an idea for a fundraiser but its still a little rough around the edges.

Our greeks used to do "Penny Wars" during Greek Week; every organization would get a big water jug and have to put pennies inside (you received 1 point per penny). Anything ohter than pennies (i.e. nickels, quarters, dollars) in the container would count as negative points. So in order to win, you would put more non-pennies in the jug of the other groups.

I'm not sure if using Greeks would work best in your situation. Tera suggested having freshman floors compete against each other. Or maybe using entire residence halls.

And I also thought of a possible name: The Change for CHANGE Drive.

Anonymous said...

Treye,
How come I didn't realize you were so creative...geez I think you should be in our field too!

Cheryl,
I totally posted a bulletin when highlowaha first started. I also posted it on the other websites I frequent.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Lots and lots to comment on...

Heather.... My opinion is you are more of a connector than maven... though it is true you dabble in both. The connections you provided every year for things such as Women in Leadership, committees, etc...; the fact that you travel in so many circles (job, teaching, professional involvements, color guard, mommy groups, etc...); and your instinct to connect up people like A.C. and H.C. are just a few examples of what makes you a natural connector.

Treye... I am happy to provide your Colorstrology and thanks again for all the great ideas. Heather is right... Student Affairs could be in your blood.

August 6. Camellia (a shade of orange): Funny, Unusual, Loving. If you were born on this day you are one of a kind, and there is no particular mold you fit into. You are smart yet silly, loving yet restless, and an interesting combination of contradictions. Highly individual, you need a balance of love, security, and adventure. Compatible birthdays: January 22, September 18, October 11.

Katie and others... yes, I did ultimately get the 99 cent Target buckets and I'll tell you next week how I will use them (you need a little cliffhanger to keep you coming back).

Cheryl and others... no, I do not have a My Space account, but I love the idea of helping to spread the word by posting a bulletin... by MULTIPLE people and MULTIPLE times. So, if you have an account and are willing... post away.

Thanks for the investment of time in posting responses!

Anonymous said...

Fundraising ideas: Why not recruit people you work with who have special talents that are willing to donate a service? Perhaps an artist(-ish person) can agree to do a portrait drawing, a scrapbooker could donate creating a few pages? A great cook could offer dinner in their home. A popular or notorious supervisor could donate a one on one coffee break. A hard worker could donate a carwash…an organizer- some time to help someone get on track in their messy office. Why not use the resources that people have and auction them off? Is someone famous for their brownies, cakes or cookies? Perhaps they would donate a coupon worth one pan of ooey-gooey goodness. I would bid on that or buy a raffle ticket and if I won, I would hang on to that coupon until I was expecting guests, or had to bring a dish to share to an event…it would be priceless to me at that moment. Getting companies to donate can be tougher than it sounds…using the people you know to donate what they do well (and probably enjoy doing) is easier.

Good Luck-
Anon

Anonymous said...

FYI...Tera posted the link on her myspace today.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Loyal readers... any movement in our hot pursuit of Julie A. Cole? Inquiring minds want to know.

Katie said...

Nothing from my end in regards to Julie...still waiting to hear back from Karolyn (my friend in NE) about whether or not she has a possible connection to Julie!

Unknown said...

Hi. I love this idea. I am a friend of Katie Kolkmeier's. She said something about leaving my birthday and a color profile. It's December 28th 1986. I see that this is a site for creative ideas. I'm big into healthy alternatives for sweet snacks, especially for children. One of my favorites is spreading low fat whipped cream on graham crackers and freezing them into ice cream sandwiches. I'll contribute more when I can. Props to Katie for doing great networking. I love her. Best of luck!
-Marissa

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Hi Marissa! Thanks for joining our fun community. We have a great collection of contributers. I don't think you will be disappointed once you become a frequent flier and see all the great ground we cover. Tomorrow is Free For All Friday... a great way for you to share some of that creativity of yours.

I love the "ice cream" sandwich idea. It actually sounds yummy.

Now your birthday...

December 28. Viridian Green (it is a beautiful aqua-like color). Quick, Sophisticated, Capable. If you were born on this day: Born to lead and inspire, you do well at the head of the class. You are charismatic and self-assured and can move through different parts of society with ease and confidence. Most people born on this day are hardworking and driven. Try not to let your confidence and sense of purpose lead you to doing everything yourself. Security and a sense of belonging are important to your well-being. Compatible birthdays: April 13, July 19, October 1.

I want that description!

Cheryl Houston said...

Did I sleep through a day or are we having Free For All Friday on Thursday?

Kels said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kels said...

I emailed my old Girl scout troop leader to see where her connections were. She did not know Julie, but sent out the email to all the troop leaders she knows. I haven't heard anything else, but hopefully something will come of it!

Anonymous said...

This is for Cassie P. Good-luck reaching your goal!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Cassie sent me I'll need to read later can't wait!!