Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Ding, Ding, Ding... I Interrupt This Programming...

... to make this special and relief-filled message...

WE DID IT! As of 6:30 a.m. this morning we reached a grand total of 5,090 viewers! This is a great day! Celebrate with me. Stop what you're doing... where ever you are - at home; in the office; in the library preparing for finals; on your PDA in the doctor's office or commuting on a subway, and do the happy dance! That's it.... No, don't stop yet... keep dancing. This is a big deal. After 77 days of trying we not only reached, but PASSED the magical number 5,000!

For those of you who have been with me from the beginning... THANK YOU! Thank you for reading loyally and for passing the site along to friends, family... uncles, aunts, and pets. For those of you who recently joined us... welcome. You will soon discover what a fun, involved, and CREATIVE group of people with which you are now keeping company.

So much hype... Many of you either never knew or forgot to what end it was that we were pursuing this magical number. We have been reaching for 5,000 so that I may FINALLY share the origin of my blog name. A couple of you already know its meaning, because to know me well is to know how integral "highlowaha" is to my life. Others of you have no idea and, in fact, my good friend and old neighbor from Kentucky just asked me tonight why the heck I named my blog "snickerdoodle.com." You know what that means... my good friend, Jill, hasn't visited once (until tonight when I threatened that she either visit and be one of the final 13 viewers needed or run the risk of my posting some very dubious scoop on her). So here we go...

You can stop dancing now.

Yikes... after all this time and all this effort, I'm a little worried today's post will be anti climatic. Will you think it was worth the wait? All I can say in defense of my blog name and today's creative idea is that this simple little phrase (perfect BECAUSE of its simplicity) is an important part of my life. It is the lens through which I actually talk about and, when appropriate, process life. I use it with my family; droves of students have been subjected to it; and even friends have come to expect the phrase. So here we go... like it or leave it.

Each night at dinner, once everyone is seated and the meal has been served, we go around the table and talk about our days. Each person shares his HIGH for the day (meaning the best thing that happened all day long); his LOW for the day (meaning the worst thing that happened all day long); and his AHA (meaning something he learned during the day). That's it. That's what you've been waiting for. But the richness of this exercise is not in its complexity. There are no bells, no whistles, no money required, no experience, or talent necessary... it is just the simple coming back together to share what we missed in each other's days, while busy living in our own corner of the world.

The power of this activity comes in its simplicity and therefore the ease with which it can become a family tradition. Sometimes my boys try to convince me they had no "low" or that they can't think of an "aha." I reply.... "Impossible." There is always a "lowest" point of the day, even if it's the gloomy weather outside or that you didn't like what was packed in your lunch. Similarly, we must focus each day on discovering something new. It can be something new you learned about yourself, a life lesson, or book knowledge from a class you took or a book you've read. Every day... something new.

Now, what is really interesting is that when pushed to come up with an answer, your kids (and maybe even other friends and family) will share far more with you than they otherwise might. Telling of "highs" proves to be easiest for most. It's the "lows" and "ahas" that can be trickier. Ricky might initially say he had no "low," but when pushed for an answer will share of an argument with a friend, being made fun of, or a bad grade. Even Matthew will tell tales of kids chasing him on the playground, someone hitting him, or a missing out on "ball crawl" (a favorite school activity). As for "ahas", it is not uncommon for a "low" to also serve as the source for an "aha." Example... Low... "I did poorly on my math test." Aha... "I learned I need to study further in advance." Priceless. I'll take that lesson in cause and effect any day of the week!

There is really no setting in which this great little framework does not work wonders. I use it with students to reflect on programming.... "high" (greatest success), "low" (worst mistake), "aha" (something learned about self or group dynamics, by virtue of working on the program). It can work with staff, in weekly one-on-ones or at evaluation points... "high" (accomplishment I am most proud of), "low" (thing for which I am least proud), and "aha" (something I learned about self, supervision, or even a new skill or competency). I even use it when trying to catch a friend up after a long period of not talking. "Highs" (best things going on in life since we last spoke). "Lows" (worst things that have happened since we last spoke), and "ahas" (things I learned since last we spoke).

Tonight at dinner, try it... but with this caveat... you must give it time. It will take a few weeks of consistently trying, before your family and friends get the hang and most importantly... come to expect it.

So, now that the cat is finally out of the bag... I can periodically integrate this new dimension into my blogs. Let's give it a whirl...
  • HIGH: Obvious... Reaching for 5,000 and surpassing it with two full days to go!

  • LOW: Two of my three boys are sick

  • AHA: I hate throw-up and... there is little that a committed group of people cannot accomplish when setting their mind to something (and, of course, when something hideous is at stake).

I'd love to hang around here and celebrate longer, but I have dancing to do and treats to eat!


Signing off until tomorrow!

34 comments:

maureen said...

Hey Claudia, my HIGH is knowing you wont have to wear the bathing suit. I haven't gotten past the rest but hey its only 8am. I am happy for you! Have a great day!

Layne said...

hey claudia CONGRATULATIONS ON REACHING YOUR GOAL AND SOME!!!!
This is Layne. I tried to post a comment last night but i didn't do it right I am sorry. Maureen called me this morning and told me it did not go through. So I am writing to you again just to say hello.

maureen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yeaaaaaaaaaa!!! Happy Dance! Happy Dance!
Ok - that wore me out. I'm going back to bed.

Katie said...

Congrats on reaching your goal!!! And YAY for the world learning the power of high, low, aha! You will truly know it has taken over when you begin to refer to your life in highs, lows, and ahas like I have!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!! There was never any doubt it would happen. You go girl.

Anonymous said...

The anonymous was me. Sorry for the error. Toni

Anonymous said...

Yippee Skippee!
I knew we reached it last night but it is good to see the confirmation.

I love it, I love it, I LOVE IT!

maureen said...

Ok, here's another request I have for
all of you " almighty knowing ones" out there. I have a house full of people dieting and need new dessert ideas. We are all playing "Biggest Loser" in the Peres household. Our goal is to lose the greatest percentage of body weight in 3 months. The prize is $500 for first and $200 for second. Im trying to keep my girls and myself motivated so I am asking once again for help... I know you wont let me down!:)

Anonymous said...

Okay, first, Maureen:
Strawberries and whipped cream
frozen yogurt
hmmm I'll keep thinking (I love Biggest Loser!)

For everyone else: Maureen...read no further:

Today is FREE CONE DAY AT BEN AND JERRY's to celebrate their birthday and highlowaha reaching 5000 hits!
Go to www.benjerry.com to find a scoop shop near you.

Cheryl Houston said...

Hoorah!

That's not what I thought HighLowAha stood for. I was thinking I'll search high, I'll search low, aha, I found it. :) So, it wasn't anti-climatic for me.

We periodically do the best and worst part of our day but it's not routine. Whenever they can't come up with something I say, "I know the worst part was me dropping you off and the best part was me picking you up!" They'll usually come up with something after that.

I hate dieting. I can't say, "I'm going to diet." because then... I pig out and over-eat.

Claudia, since you hate wearing a bathing suiting, does that mean you aren't going to bring the boys over this summer and swim with us?

Anonymous said...

Maureen...

Every woman likes chocolate...so here is a recipe from Weight Watchers:

Creamy Chocolate Mousse

Prepare a cook-and-serve sugar-free/fat-free chocolate pudding mix according to the package directions. Transfer the hot pudding to a bowl and place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Chill 1 hour or until cool. Fold 1 1/2 cups fat-free, non-dairy whipped topping into the cooled pudding. Chill 2 hours in individual custard cups or in a large serving bowl, or make one of these tasty desserts.

To make a frozen chocolate mousse pie: Pour the mousse into a baked low-fat pie shell and freeze.

For a frozen chocolate mint mousse cake: Add 1/2 teaspoon mint extract to the pudding with the whipped topping. Coat an 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Crush 16 low-fat chocolate wafer cookies and sprinkle them on the sides, pressing if necessary to make them stick, and on the bottom of the inside of the pan. Pour the mousse over the crumbs and freeze for 4 hours.

For individual frozen chocolate mousse desserts: Line 6 muffin tins with paper muffin cups and fill with the chocolate mousse mixture. Freeze until firm, then serve with a spoon.

Anonymous said...

Hey Beenster...CONGRATS!

I know it's only 10 AM but I thought I'd share my high, low and aha with you for the day so far!

High - Being a part of helping you reach 5,000.

Low - Not knowing what your next goal is. I know you have one...no goal is not like you.

Aha - Realizing that I'm going to use high, low, aha with the person I supervise at work.

Anonymous said...

High - 5000!!!

Low - Up at 2:30am cleaning a mess out of a 3 year old's pants.

Aha - Dealing with your own 3 year old at 2:30am is better than dealing with someone else's 18-22 year old at 2:30am. And, I can't wait to start using highlowaha at home and not just at work!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for blowing your wall up with posts today...I've got lots on my mind I guess.

I wanted to know if you were planning a Texas-style Derby Party this weekend! I thought you may take a little piece of KY down south with you.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

So much to comment on and so little time before I have to leave my house again...

Layne! Hi. What a great surprise to have you visit on us the blog. I hope you will continue coming back, so I can hear more about what you've been up to.

Maureen... I am no expert on diet conscious desserts, but I have a twelve year old cook book (recommended to me from a Lori and Suzie (readers, but not posters) who live in Michigan. I will dig it out and find you a yummy recipe. Check back later today.

Cheryl... this is a true dilemma. On the one hand, great company. On the other hand... bathing suit. I'll mill that over some more. Maybe if everyone closed their eyes while I jumped in the pool...

Shari and Tera... I love to know you are going to try high, low, aha. And, Tera... ssshhhhh.... no Derby party this weekend is a sore subject in my household! I must leave for Leadershape on Saturday morning, rendering me unavailable for mint julips. Next year, however, we will combine forces with Mike and Erica... and anyone else wHo decides to join uS for a BIG, BIG, BIG blowout!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for spreading the news to the world and congrats on reaching your goal! What's next?!?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Stacie.. wait and you shall see... something fun is in the works.

Anonymous said...

Claudia,
Congrats on reaching 5000! It's a great accomplishment.
As for the dieters out there - I highly recommend the Self Challenge from Self.com (i.e. Self Magazine) It's free. It keeps track of your calories per day and how much you work out/calories burned. I'm doing and it seems to be working. They have tons of recipes, helpful hints and prizes too.
My low for the day has been my washing machine leaked water all over the mud room. No washing machine with toddlers is not a good thing.
PS - Matt has his posting almost ready - I think that you'll like it.

Cheryl Houston said...

Cristine- I've tried those online diet spots...Sparkle people is the only one I can think of at the momement... but I can't get past the tracking the calories. I can't help but feel like I'm doing it wrong. And who knows how many calories are in the salad dressing La Madeliene puts on their spinach salad! And just how big is that salad? And how many calories are in that little splash of bacon they put on it? AYH! It's all so overwhelming tracking everything that crosses my lips! No! I'm afraid dieting isn't for me. It's not that I'm even overweight. I'm on the higher side of average for my height and age but I'd like to lose 5 or 10 pounds... but yeah... the whole calorie tracking thing makes me want to pull out my hair.

There's another bad habit... pulling out gray hairs. LOL!

Claudia, I promise to not take any pictures of you in your bathing suit while hanging out at the pool!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Dr. Beeny! I'm anxiously looking forward to future adventures. Hopefully the next 5,000 will go much faster than the first 5,000.

Maureen, how about Smart Ones desserts or Skinny Cows? Not sure if you have tried any of these or not. They might not be as exciting as Tera's recipe, but they are a VERY tasty option for people trying to lose weight.

Jess said...

Maureen,

Try going to hungrygirl.com and getting her newsletter. It is a daily, fast read via email. She does recipes, at least a few times a week and it is often sweet stuff. She also reviews new products and sometimes has special coupons. I have been a member for months---and have not suffered any spam for registering. I think you might find some good things there. And if you don't have time to read it---or aren't interested in the topic for the day--just delete it and hope the next day is more enticing!

Jess said...

A sample from today's hungrygirl newletter!

Ingredients:
2 cups moist-style chocolate cake mix (half of an 18.25-oz. box)
Two 25-calorie packets diet hot cocoa mix
1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
2 tbsp. semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
1 tsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
1/8 tsp. salt

Directions:
Place chocolate chips and the contents of both cocoa packets in a tall glass. Add 12 ounces of boiling water, and stir until chips and cocoa mix have dissolved. Place glass in the freezer to chill for 25 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Onc e cocoa has chilled, give it a stir, and mix with all other ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whip batter with a whisk or fork for 2 minutes. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray, or line it with baking cups. Evenly spoon batter (which will be thin, but don't worry, your cupcakes will puff up!) into the pan. Place pan in the oven, and bake for 15 minutes. Cupcakes will look shiny when done. MAKES 12 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Calories: 108
Fat: 2.5g
Sodium: 239mg
Carbs: 19g
Fiber: 1g
Sugars: 12g
Protein: 2g

POINTS® value 2*

Anonymous said...

Claudia,

CONGRATS on another successful goal achieved!!! Not a bit surprised when as usual you combine your great ideas with helping others!!

Anyway, GREAT talking to you - always too long btw. ~Debbie

Katie said...

Now that I have presented it to my friends, I thought I'd give an update on what I decided to do for all of them as my graduation gift to them! (as discussed in a Free For All Friday quite a few weeks ago) I made a PowerPoint filled with pictures from the last 4 years, accomplishments we've all had, a poem about leaving college and entering the "real world", and then an individual message to each of them to share a personal message I wanted to leave with them. I set it all to music about friends and saying goodbye. I think it turned out great! There wasn't a dry eye in the house...haha.
We were also going to have a picnic in the quad on campus, but with the rain and such we ended up just eating inside! Thanks for all your great ideas- I tried to combine a few of them!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS Dr. B!! And, OH, how i miss weekly HIGH/LOW/AHA's in Freshmen Focus! Can you believe I only have one year left?! Crazy! For old time's sake...

HIGH: Getting one final out of the way this morning and feeling OK about it.

LOW: spending the rest of the day studying for 3 more finals to come this week.

AHA: I only have 2 more days of this and then it's summer!!! WOOHOO! And the fact that it's technically my last summer is another aha. (For those who dont know me, I am a nursing major, and will start working right after graduation next year!). So this summer I will cherish!

LOVE YA DR. B!

close2it said...

Congrats on making above and beyond your goal!

It's fun to hear the reasoning behind your name. My husband and I often talk about our highs and lows of the day but never the ahas. I like that addition!

Here's mine:

High: Getting to talk to several old friends today.

Low: Learning a family friend was diagnosed with terminal cancer.

Aha: Life is too short! Live each day to the fullest.

maureen said...

Thank you all so much!!! I knew I could count on you. My daughters are looking forward to the chocolate mousse. I am going to check out the websites in the morning. My High for the day was making it through without cheating, my LOW was when I mailed out my bills and my AHA was when I got all these great recipes. Thanks again!!! Have a great night:)

Anonymous said...

HEY CLAUDIA!!! I received your postcard and was wanting to be one of the 5,000 so you could reach your goal. However, by early this morning, you surpassed this number! Congrats!! I will be bookmarking your blog so we can keep in touch. Take care and hugs to you from the south!!! =)

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Beeny,

You need to work on your photography because you cut my head off.

You and Matthew made a cool hat.

Sonya B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Sonya... don't stray too far... there's something new on the horizon and you'll surely be able to help!

Thanks for helping!

There are other readers who have girls approximately the age of yours. You're sure to get some good ideas.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Claudia!!! Even though this is my first time posting...I log on to your blog every day. I've just been super busy with work and all. CONGRATS!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Claudia,

So great to catch up with you a little. This blog is a great way to stay a little connected to your busy life. I had never heard about your highlighaha but it fits perfectly and will share with several folks. Let's catch up on other life stuff soon. I'm glad you made your goal but still don't understand why a bathing suit would be so traumatic for you. You've always been in GREAT shape!

Crystal in GA