Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Whack on the Side of the Head Wednesday




No question... today's dilemma is going to be about laundry. My nemesis! Three days into the week and already I have laundry piled up. Have I mentioned that I still have three baskets of laundry from Monday sitting in the corner of my room waiting to be folded and put away? And, should you think I am just lazy... sitting on the couch eating bon bons... blatantly ignoring my responsibilities as a laundress... think again. My dried hands and cracked fingers are just recovering from the seven loads of laundry I washed, dried, and put away on Sunday. The real question is, why the heck has it taken so many weeks for me to raise this topic anyway?!?!?!?

Now for the whack on the side of the head that I need so desperately in order to either (1) solve this problem; (2) view it from a different angle; or (3) develop some coping mechanisms. Remember, a whack on the side of the head is a principle that challenges us to think more creatively about whatever dilemma we are facing. If you want to play along at home you can purchase your own deck of cards (Roger von Oech's, 1992) at Barnes and Noble or any other book store.

Now is when I close my eyes and randomly draw a card. Drum roll please...

Drop An Assumption. Columbus challenged the Spanish courtiers to stand an egg on its end. They tried but failed. He then hard-boiled one and squashed it down. "That's not fair," they protested, "you broke the rules." "Don't be silly," he replied, "you just assumed more than you needed to." What can you let go of? What unnecessary assumptions can you eliminate?
  • Ok, the natural assumption I might be able to drop is that I am the one that needs to do the laundry. True, true. In my own defense, however, let me say that Ricky - the 15 year old - does his own (I can't bear the idea of sending a child off to college without his knowing how to do laundry). I could, however, alternate weeks with my husband. One week I do laundry and he grocery shops. The next week we reverse. Oohh.., but I HATE the supermarket. I'm sounding like a naysayer. I'll keep moving.
  • Why is the assumption that laundry is to be dreaded (because there is so much and it's never ending!!!!)? Maybe I should attach something positive to doing laundry. How about this... each hour spent on laundry each week is repaid with an hour spent by myself...either reading or doing something else totally indulgent.

  • That's it... Laundresses get paid, don't they? Why am assuming I shouldn't get paid too? Maybe I can figure out the going rate for a laundress these days and pay myself. That could accumulate into a healthy little rainy day fund (maybe then I could get the manicure I need to help my cracked hands recover).

  • Why do I assume that just because it is in the laundry basket it is laundry... Ooohhh, but I don't. I am Queen of pulling things out of the laundry basket that I know full well have been worn for six minutes and then thrown on the floor so he doesn't have to hang it up

  • Why do I assume that I am supposed to wash, dry, fold, and put laundry away all in one day? Maybe I could give myself permission to wash and dry on one day and fold and put away on another day. That way, I won't always feel behind the eight ball.

  • Why do I assume I have to put it away? While Jack might be a little young, Matthew and Daddy can certainly take charge of their clothes.

  • Why am I so all or nothing? Maybe Matthew could take charge of underwear and Richard could take care of socks. Remember, that's what the chore die is for (2/23)

  • Do damaged hands have to be part of the deal? No. I shouldn't assume that. Maybe one of my trusty readers has a great secret tip for keeping my hands looking good.

  • Why do I assume my kids have to wear clothes? No clothes, no laundry. That's it. Today I implement the walk-around-the-house-naked-rule. Just kidding. Clearly I am running out of legitimate solutions, but I bet our buddy Roger von Oech would be proud of my taking it to an extreme. That, after all, is when you know you've been whacked on the side of the head.
Ok. Now it's your turn to take a crack at a whack! HA! HA! I love it. Crack at a whack.... What else can I let go of? What other unnecessary assumptions can I eliminate? And if you can't relate to my dilemma (then I want to meet you...), then try applying it to a predicament of your own.

Signing off until tomorrow...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure have a strong aversion for laundry, don't you? This is the second time you've mentioned it in a post!

Instead of feeling like you have to do 7 loads in one day, what if you did a load a day? I know that may seem tedious, but that's how we get it done. We put it in the washer after dinner and before baths, move it from the washer to the dryer after baths but before books, and then after the kids are tucked away in bed, I fold the load while watching my TV show for the night. The following morning, a small pile is waiting for each person to put away.

Just some food for thought! Some people have told me this way is more work than just doing it in one day, but for me, I hated being loaded down with ALL of the laundry in one day!

Anonymous said...

I too do a load or two a day.
I fold when everyone is sleeping and put the piles away after breakfast.
Remember brake it down into manageable parts.
Additionally I’ll bet that your hands would fair better with only a few items to deal with daily.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you could let go of the assumption that laundry must be done at home? As convenient and cost effective as having a washer and dryer are going to the laundromat gets the laundry done in a single two hour block of time because you can do all of it at once.
And it I know you (and I'm pretty sure I do) it would give you a much needed break alone during which you can read a book while the loads are washing or drying.
When you return you could give a basket to each person to put their own laundry away.
Maybe not a viable solution every week but one you could use on occasions when the laundry is really getting you down.

On a personal note I HATE laundry too. Not the washing and drying but the folding and putting away piece. Hence we typically have at least one basket of clean laundry sitting in the walk in closet.

Anonymous said...

Ricky is definately old enough to do his own laundry!!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Yes, anonymous. You've got my number. I hate laundry, because even when you're "finished," you must contend with the clothes people are wearing on their backs at that very moment. There is truly no sense of completion!

I wish I had the discipline to follow the plan you suggest. I could do the washing part and even the drying part. It's the folding and putting away that really gets me. I am a prisoner of my limitations.

Cassie, too. When the kid are finally sleeping I am (1) too lazy and just want to sit and watch t.v. - NO PRODUCTIVITY, or (2) read a book, do a craft, write a letter... something else that requires my hands. You and anonymous are way too disciplined for the likes of me.

So, back to what to do about my painful (and painful-to-look-at-hands)?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Jenna,

Are you out there? I just saw the comment you left on Monday and posted a reply. If you haven't seen it already, check it out.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Cheryl Houston said...

I think the hating of folding and putting away the laundry is a common thread between a lot of women. I'm also not disciplined enough to do a load every night. I have let go of the assumption that my house has to be perfectly clean 24/7. It's okay if you can't do it all. It's okay if the laundry isn't done. It's okay if everything isn't put away perfectly. It would be great if it was but it's not necessary. Sometimes I can get my 6 & 7 year old to help put away the laundry. They actually think it's fun when I include them. But time doesn't allow that all the time. Repeat after me, "I am not perfect and that's okay."

As for those dry hands... I love the Mary Kay's Satin Hands!

Anonymous said...

my suggestion...let Treye move in with you. he LOVES doing laundry...i NEVER do it!

tera

Anonymous said...

I heart Cheryl.

Anonymous said...

I, too, despise laundry. Its a never-ending evil cycle of sorting, washing, drying, hanging, folding and putting away. Most days, I do at least one load of wash. And, if my family is very very lucky I will fold the clothes that end up the laundry basket once a week (sometimes with the help of my hubby or daughter). Hubby will break down and fold once his underwear/sock drawer is nearly empty. The two munchkins in my house have learned to just dig in the clean basket to find their favorite socks if their drawers are empty.

P.S. Why does my son go through 3 or 4 pairs of socks a day???

P.S.S. Addressing those sad hands, Claudia. I recently discovered and fell in love with Bath and Body Works Hand Lotion "Look Ma, New Hands" Its a bit on the pricey side but a little goes a long way and it works great!!
Off to transfer clothes from the washer to the dryer now.

Anonymous said...

Tera - Can Treye move in with Mark and I? You can come too! Will he unload the dishwasher as well???

Cheryl Houston said...

uh-oh... my dear friend who is not addicted to the internet and blogging made this suggestion to me via email... "spend less time on the computer and you'll have more time for laundry." GASP!!!

If you stop blogging I'll have nothing to do while I'm at work! And it so much fun! So, that is just completely out of the question!

aw, anonymous is so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Highlowaha- It's not that I'm more disciplined than you, but simply that I live by the philosophy of breaking things into manageable parts. I hate folding as much as the next person, but having a huge pile of laundry build up over a week is simply too daunting and honestly "depressing" for me to deal with...I'd rather just deal with it on a daily basis. To each their own!

Anonymous said...

Most of your blog readers will attest to the fact that I am ADDICTED to lotion. Hence the reason why I have about 6 bottles/tubes in my desk drawer at work. I just started using Aquaphor on little Lily's cheeks because they were so wind burnt and lo and behold it actually works on my super dry skin too.
The only downside is it is very greasy (almost like Vaseline) so I'd only use it at night before bed.