Monday, March 24, 2008

Happy Trails to Stanley

Good Morning. I trust everyone had a good Easter and hope that at least one of you was able to use a fun Easter idea generated by our readers. We tried the color coded Easter egg hunt, allowing my youngest son a fighting chance against the older two. There was no fighting and no bleeding, so two thumbs up from the Beeny household. Last week was fun for me. All things green.... Monday, Shamrock Shakes; Tuesday, Flowers and Plants; Wednesday, Whack on the Side of the Head; Thursday, My Great Day Green Plate; Friday, Show Me the Money; and Saturday, Green the Red Hot New Color. If you missed any, you might briefly check them out. Three friends served as contributing writers and that made for some extra fun.

Today, Texas bids farewell to Flat Stanley and boards a plane for Canada, where he will be met by our very own blog reader, Helena! Our most loyal readers might remember a blog titled, One, Two, Three... Cheese (2/22). I told of my adventures hosting many a Flat Stanley for friends whose children are in elementary school. Hosting Flat Stanley is great fun, as it requires you to take Stanley on an adventure and then send a postcard telling the story of his trip.


Helena, one of our earliest blog readers lamented that she felt cheated for never having been asked to host a Flat Stanley. That was all I needed to hear! I started thinking... wouldn't it be great if we... highlowaha blog readers could start our own Flat Stanley. Surely this creative and loyal readership can think up some great adventures and keep Stanley moving. Thus, the idea was born and here we are, Monday, March 24, sending Stanley off on the first of his adventures.

Helena will host him first, taking him on some uniquely Canadian experience and then sending him off to the next willing reader (hint, hint... this is where you all come in and volunteer to get in the queue for next host). Once Helena has taken him on an adventure, she will send me a photograph and brief tale of his experience. I will post it on the blog site for everyone to see and then we will move on to the next willing host. This will be fun, fun, fun! Think of it. We can live vicariously through Stanley... and all because Helena was unwilling to go a lifetime without joining in this fun.

One more note before signing off. If we can get Flat Stanley around the world (and I believe we can) then I know we can get 5,000 hits on my blog. Once we hit that magic number, I get to share the story behind why the site is names highlowaha (I do believe it is one of my better ideas... should that sweeten the pot for you at all). To date we have 1,503. That means we need another 3,497. You might remember, my goal is April 16. One of our readers posted that date as her prediction and I'm wed to it, because it happens to be one of my son's birthdays. This will be virtually impossible if each of us continues to read at the rate we are currently reading. BUT, if each of us emails the site to just one more person than we will be well on our way.

Ok. That's it for today. Thanks for keeping this such fun. Signing off for today...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I miss the new idea for today?

Anonymous said...

i'm totally up for hosting flat stanley!

tera

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Hmmmm... I thought having Flat Stanley travel the globe visiting loyal blog readers was kind of fun - maybe only a small twist on something already being done, but mildly new.

It seems my mind is slow to warm up this Monday morning. Maybe you can help out with a new idea that will be more satisfactory? Got anything fun up that sleeve of yours?

You're a tough cookie and it is a.o.k with me. In the end, the challenge keeps the creativity flowing. Now... for the good of the readers... where's that fun idea of yours?

Anonymous said...

I think Flat Stanley is a great idea, but as you stated, "A new idea each day."
As for the challenge of my idea:
Spring officially arrived on Thursday March 20, 2008. In honor of the seasonal change I thought it would only be fitting to discuss the topic of spring cleaning. That is right it is the perfect time to open up the windows and air out the house, create a dust free zone. We could collectively share some cleaning tips (how to make a lovely lavendar sachet, tips for cleaning the "green" way, and much much more).
As I began cleaning I realized how much extra clutter, and materials I have on hand that would make for great donations to various places in town.
I am listing only a few items that may be donated to local agencies and organizations in your town.

Eye glasses: Perhaps you have a few old pairs laying around the house due to your prescriton getting stronger. Check out Lenscrafters or locate a local Lions club which donate eyeglasses to individuals in need.

Cell Phones: http://www.recellular.com/recycling
This is a great way to donate your old cellphon and help the environment as well as for others in need.
Other organizations distribute these phones to women who have been in domestic violence situations.

Clothes and other items: Tired of a cluttered closet or that old table that has been in your house for years? Give it away to someone who can give it some TLC and celebrate its presence in a new way. Organizations such as DAV Goodwill, and the Salvation Army make for great donation centers.

Food and Kitchen: Have you checked the dates on the food in your cabinet lately? How about going through and checking them out. If you find items close to expiring or with shorter shelf lives donate them to a local food bank so they can get used and not wasted.

Do you take the soaps and shampoos hotels place on the counter for your convenience. Perhaps if you do, you can put them to good use by making little care kits for a local nursing home.

Think outside of the box: turn trash into treasure. Before you throw something away think breifly if you could perhaps turn it into something FANTASTIC.

Just some thoughts!!!

Anonymous said...

HOW CUTE IS FLAT STANLEY! He is riding in style:) I am impressed.

Cheryl Houston said...

I don't go many places but I would be happy to take Flat Stanley anywhere with us. Too bad he's not available this weekend or he could go get drunk with me at the Cabrito Cookoff in George West, TX. Oh, wait a minute, is Flat Stanley old enough to drink?
Other than that, the only other thing we have planned is going to the river in August.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Anonymous... suitably impressed. Great ideas. As you will see by tomorrow's entry... great minds think a like. We will touch on another form of organization.

To your point about donating clothes...

For those of us who have difficulty separating from our clothes (convinced they will fit again some day!), I heard a great tip once. Pack in a box the clothes you no longer wear, but are not quite ready to get rid of. Tuck it away and, if a year passes without opening the box, go directly to Good Will. Do not open the box again, for if you didn't open it all year... there is nothing in there you cannot live without.

The same can work with books, house furnishings, kitchen supplies, kids toys.. anything for which you are having a hard time separating.

Anonymous said...

I wanna do Flat Stanley this summer!

Katie said...

Well, I'm in Kentucky until the end of May (I'd be up for having him around the first weekend in May) and then I'll be moving to Virginia in July! Basically, I'm volunteering to say that I'd love to host Flat Stanley in both locations!!

Anonymous said...

I think I'll have to try the spring cleaning bit...I know Bal would be excited. I still have clothes in my closet from my college years which wasn't (TOO) long ago for all you gasping in horror.
Seriously though, I wish I had the time anonymous has but I'm lucky to run a load of dishes between Lily and work.

Anonymous said...

I'll take Flat Stanley! Is it okay if I take him to work/a NASCAR race?

Can you maybe have a guest writer (whom we both know)for the blog one day that can talk about how to properly make a cute package for Flat Stanley?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Jenna,

Crazy! I thought I knew who you were, but I now think I am wrong. I am wracking my brain for all the Jenna's I know. The NASCAR clue is not enough.

And yes, I would gladly do invite a guest speaker to discuss wrapping - a topic by the way that is near and dear to my heart.

If you tell me the person we both have in common, I will book her AND it is sure to be the clue I need in order to know the Jenna with whom I am speaking.

Helena said...

Can I tell you how excited I am to host Flat Stanley??? So glad to hear he is on his way... Oh what, oh what shall we all do together??

LBC said...

I can get Stanley to Iraq and back... start this whole "around the world" goal