Thursday, March 13, 2008

Eye Spy

So, yes... our housekeeper did show up yesterday.  This means our house is looking and smelling especially clean, but as you know, it also means we'll be picking an economical activity for Fun In the Box Friday.

I spent nine and a half hours in the airport yesterday, so I am not feeling especially creative this morning, but in the spirit of the blog (creativity is easy, accessible, and everywhere) I will post some food for thought.  The fun thing about an airport is watching all the people walk by - each with a different story about why they are there and each with a different sense of fashion, a different book or magazine they are reading, different fast food they are eating and the list goes on.  In my mind these are the PERFECT circumstances for playing Eye Spy.

Eye Spy is a game I play with my boys when we are waiting in a restaurant; sitting outside of Block Buster waiting for dad to rent a movie; standing in line at Target or a clothing store. Virtually anywhere you are, that you have some time to kill and nothing to entertain you, you have perfect circumstances for playing Eye Spy (like the airport for nine hours). The added benefit... it challenges the creativity of your children and even makes them more observant.

The rules are easy.  Set your sights on something/anything around you... purple sneakers, a red scarf, a Yankees baseball cap, a fire hydrant, a yellow and black car; the symbol for handicapped, or an American flag.  The list is truly endless....  Then turn to the person with whom you are playing and say, "I spy with my eye, a yellow letter "M.""... or whatever else you see from the list of infinity.  Then, it is the job of your opponent to see if they can spot the i item. Once they've spotted your item, it is there turn to have you spot something they spy.

This game isn't complicated.  It requires no batteries and it probably will not be voted game of the year by the Mensa Society, but it will keep you and your family and friends entertained while you wait your turn.  A nine hour wait at the airport was the perfect place to play this game yesterday.  To bad the Eye-spy-a-man-with-an-Ipod-and-UT-sweatshirt- didn't appear all that interested in playing and that my family was at home patiently waiting for my return.

Have a good Thursday.  By the way, I spy a misplaced lower case letter "i" somewhere in the text.

Signing off until tomorrow...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love I Spy books by Scholastic. It's great for my two boys to help each other with identify different words. Also, for those of you who have TV junkie kids like me, HBO has a show called I SPY, which is based on the Scholastic books. Both of my boys love it. We watch it Sunday mornings in bed. Anything that allows me a few more minutes of rest is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Fourth paragraph and 7th line down there is an extra "i" before the word item.
Now my turn:
Go to www.marshmallowpeeps.com
I spy with my little eye something colorful hidden in the grass.

Which also leads me to pose the question what else can peeps be used for in a creative way?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

I hesitate replying because I love that you, whoever you are, sent us on an additional eye spy game. I went to the website and saw the item about which I think you speak. I will answer the question if, by the end of the day, nobody else has answered you and then sent us on another eye spy scavenger hunt.

In terms of fun things you can do with peeps... I only know of the traditional... microwave peeps and watch them explode or stuff as many in your mouth at one time is possible. The website had some fun suggestions for art projects and fun recipes. I like the peepsicles.

And yes, you found the extra "i". Thanks for participating and adding to the fun of the blog. Your creativity is appreciated.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Since no one else replied yesterday... I think the item about which you were speaking was a colorfully decorated Easter egg. Am I right?

Anonymous said...

You guessed it. I used to love this game when I was a kid. We also played riddle riddle marie, I see something you don't see. Same premice, but different rhyme.
Good job with the blogging keep up the good work. It is exciting to read each day.