Monday, March 17, 2008

Kiss Me, I'm... TIRED!

Happy St. Patrick's Day and a good Monday morning!  Where to start?!?  I fully intended to do an update on my cookie baking extravaganza this weekend, but after 15 hours of baking and decorating (no joking), I'm way too tired to give the explanation I initially planned.  Have I mentioned I am no Martha Stewart?  I can't possibly go into all the detail of my already ill-conceived plan going awry, so let my just make a few key points before moving on to today's exciting entry.

  • Hosting is hard.  Cassie coordinated the first bake-off, so frankly I was CLUELESS about exactly how much work and planning went in to making it happen.
  • 99.9% of the time things do not come out the way they are pictured in the cookbook or in this case the Cookie Box recipe card.  I attempted making leprechaun hats from cupcakes, an oatmeal cookie, green icing, tootsie rolls, and yellow decorating pens.  DISASTER!   I ended up throwing the whole lot of them away.  Even if I could have "engineered" them to work, I cannot help but think they would have tasted awful.
  • Pay attention.  I got all the way through the sugar cookie recipe - which interestingly enough called for cream cheese and sour cream (in addition to a number of other things) - and realized I forgot to add the sour cream.  The dough was already in the refrigerator for its requisite two hours.  I pulled it out of the refrigerator, unwrapped it, put it back in the mixer, and added the sour cream.  It was about 7:00 a.m. when that happened.  That, in retrospect, was foreshadowing.
Is this all sounding negative?....
Here's the good news...
  • I just finished putting the final touches on 10 little packages for teachers, friends, and the postman.  I feel great.  This morning I will brighten the day of a number of unsuspecting people and that is a good feeling.  It will immediately wipe away any questions about whether it was worth the time and energy.
  • We had fun.  Cassie; Nan, my neighbor; and I had great conversation while decorating the cookies - shaped as pots of gold, horseshoes, four leaf clovers, and leprechauns (we had beer mugs too, but time and stamina ran out).
  • I learned something new.  Baking a sugar cookie, yes.  I had done that.  But outlining and "flooding" cookies....  This is a world I knew nothing about.
Do I recommend the experience?  I am not going to pretend it was easy.  I am NOT Martha Stewart, so it took a lot of energy on my part.  If you are like me, it is the kind of experience that you enter into with caution and a lot of extra time.  But, yes... I recommend it. 
 
Now onto something that is a Beeny Family tradition and more my speed.  Shamrock Shakes!!!
Brief history... When I was a kid, I went to St. Aloysius.  We wore green uniforms and so St. Patrick's Day always felt a little special - at least in my house.  We are not Irish, but my mother has the wonderful ability to make even the smallest things seem like an occasion. Every St. Patrick's day my mother would give me $1.50, so that after school my best friend and I could walk to our local McDonald's and buy green shakes.  This quickly became a tradition. I didn't realize that Shamrock Shakes were a regional, New York-thing.  I couldn't get them when I went away to college and so I kind of forgot about them until I met my now-husband and stepson.  Kids have a funny way of pushing us to remember all the best parts of being a kid.  At the time I was living in Dallas and I called around to 10-12 McDonald's searching for a franchise that sold green shakes.  Not one did I find.

So, we went to work creating our own family tradition.  Each year on St. Patrick's night we make our own Shamrock Shakes. It's my kind of simple... milk, ice cream (mint chip if you feel inclined), green dye, and the kicker... McDonald's straws.  McDonald's straws are a MUST!!!
On this you may not compromise.  Fact.  Shakes taste better out of a McDonald's straw.  They are bigger than any straw you buy in a store and Wendy's straws don't come close either.  Oh, and the other essential - at least in our house - the kids draw straws to see who gets to add the green dye.  They get a kick out of seeing how green they can get the shake.
That's it.  Green shakes on St. Patrick's Day and my kids think they have died and gone to heaven.  It's not too late to try.  One stop at the supermarket...  a quick drive through McDonald's... and you'll have everything you need.
 
Signing off until tomorrow when we celebrate the second of six GREEN ideas - in honor of St. Patrick's week. Cheers.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's see a picture of the finished packages.

Anonymous said...

Where is the cookie box off to now?
The cookies are yummy and cute and in the end that is what counts.
You did a great job!
Happy St. Patrick's day!

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Enjoy the green shakes and thick straws. It looks like you earned it from all the hard work that went into the cookies.

Cheryl Houston said...

OH MY! I'm glad you had company because that is quite a task. Your cookies turned out beautiful and I'm sure everyone will enjoy them! Excellent job. But! I can tell you with all honesty, if it was me, I would be shipping that cookie recipe box off to China or somewhere far, far away! :)

I forgot to wear green today. Or where it's showing anyway. But, my underwear do actually have green on them. I hate when people do that- "it's on my underwear! I promise!" Just pinch me.

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Anonymous said...

The cookies look great, but I agree, let's see a picture of the finished packages! After all, life is all about the packaging! :)

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Cassie... Where is YOUR cookie box off to next? It will delivered back to your house before day's end... unless of course you- in all of your persuasive glory - have found another creative soul to play. Cheryl.. can we interest you?!?

We just got back from delivering treats to the boys' teachers and yes, the hard work paid off. They smiled and Matthew was excited he got to deliver treats.

Cheryl Houston said...

There is nothing I would like to do more than to hang out with you and Cassie but spending 15 hours baking and decorating cookies is... scary!!! I'm lazy that way.

My oldest son's birthday is on Halloween so maybe I can build up the courage to host in October.... but no promises!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm Nan.....one of the participants in the decorating day. I knew how much time this required, after taking 4 hour to create 17 Snowflake cookies at Christmastime!! Claudia did a great job hosting as her husband watched the entire kitchen explode into a dusting of powdered sugar, but the end results were fabulous!!!!!! I delivered one of my packages last night and they loved it. Just to add an idea....here is something I've done for years........put a few drops of food coloring in the toilet water before the kids wake up. Also, add a few drops to your milk(I had a third of a gallon left, so I added it to the gallon jug.) Tell the kids that Lepracauns like to play silly tricks and sometimes they turn our toilet water and milk green! Sure enough, they squeal with delight!!! Happy St. Patty's Day everyone!

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, Halloween..... Just wait!
Between Claudia and myself you will be up to your @%& in Halloween.

Nan, I love the toilet water thing and I'm headed to do that right now! Good thing I bought extra color. Also, I thought we would see a copy of the sugar cookie recipe??

Anyway, Happy St. Patrick's day to all!

Cheryl Houston said...

Oh goodie! Bats and ghosts and pumpkins all coming from my @$$!!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! And it is totally something I would scold my boys for saying.

Anonymous said...

Forget that I absolutely LOVE St. Patty's Day. (By far my FAVORITE holiday of the entire year). But holy cow do I love Nan's idea for green food coloring in the toilet or milk...FUN, FUN, FUN.
Here is a similar fun idea for those of you with children of teeth losing age. When the tooth fairy comes open the window just a crack(big enough for a fairy to fit through) and sprinkle some glitter on the window ledge...just enough to really make the entire experience come to life for them.
I wonder what other fun things we can do to add wonder to our children's world? I'm sure Claudia and all her blog readers have some GREAT ideas.

Cheryl Houston said...

I did something similar to Heather's comment about the Tooth Fairy but I think I went a little overboard. I took some shiny confetti that I had forever and the Tooth Fairy spread it from the front door, down the hall and over the beds. She must have had a hole in her pocket! It was fun and a great laugh but I was cleaning it up for weeks!

Can you believe Easter is this weekend? Have you already discussed it here? I have some candy picked out, I have a couple of cars, I'm planning on a bits of money... any other ideas for what to put in those pesky Easter eggs? Quickly! It's this weekend!

Are y'all baking Easter Cookies!??!

Anonymous said...

wow, I finally figured out how this all works, and I am SO impressed with all of your incredible ideas! Are you super mom or what??!!Thanks for all of the great ideas! Also, thanks for the yummy cookies!! I was a recipient of some st. patrick's cookies and they were adorable and tasty.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Cheryl, You crack me up! The visual on your tooth fairy story has me laughing so hard!

Yes, the question of Easter eggs has come up (see 3/14 - Free for all Friday) for some suggestions. I will weigh in on Friday with some more thoughts (still two days to make them happen).

Incidentally, Free For All Fridays are a chance for you to pose a challenge and get feedback from the collective creativity of all our blog readers. My goal... to quickly become one of your favorite sites to visit.

Cheryl Houston said...

You already are one of my favorites. Just look at how many times I've commented already! I hope you don't feel like I'm monopolizing your page! I've been catching up on your old blogs but I can't wait for Friday's Free For All!!! I'm leaving for my parents house on Thursday and my dad has his computer set up all wacky where you I can't even check my gmail! I go through total withdrawals when I'm there!!! Woe is me! I'll check out 3/14 blog for tips.

Keep up the great work. Your blog is totally different than the other blogs I read. If you're interested in the other ones that I frequent, they are:
http://mom2my6pack.blogspot.com/
http://pacifiersandprada.blogspot.com/

Both of those are mom blogs that are just humorous. The top one is in the process of writing a book.

http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/
That one is about fashion and it's just easy to visit because it's mainly just photos.

And one of my new ones is:
http://prettyinthecity.blogspot.com/
I don't know enough about this one yet. I found it today but her post from March 13th caught my eye and I'm reading some of her older blogs that are again humorous.

I think what you have is very unique and I like it! I can tell I'm going to look forward to reading it daily. :)

Anonymous said...

Lily and I did our own version of Shamrock Shakes...let's call it Spinach supper...yummo!

Anonymous said...

been-ster...i have to share with you that i also took a stab at sugar cookies. i was determined to make shamrocks for my staff. the outlining and flooding is nothing for a cake decorator...but it was finding the stupid cookie cutter that drove me nuts. i never did find one, but i did take a piece of plastic, cut it in the shape of a shamrock, and cut each cookie out with a knife.

i need to know where you got all of your amazing cookie cutters! i'd make cookies ALL the time if i had fun cutters like you.

thanks for keeping me entertained with the all the posts. expect a call from me in the very near future...i've gotta job chat with you!

miss you,
tera

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Tera, are you serious? You're a cookie baking fool?!?!? Who knew. We could have been doing this for the past couple of years in Louisville. I have a new found respect for you - though you're creative and patient so I'm not surprised.

My cookie recipe box is officially called the Great American Cookie Collection. There's no other contact information on or in the box, but I bet you can track it down on line. Monday there was also a cookie supply company advertising on my site. I don't know if you had the ad (I think they vary based on geographic location) or if the ad is still posted. If you are really interested, post the question on Free For All Friday.

Kudos to you for being so thoughtful with your staff. There you go... giving 110% all the time.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Typo... In error I wrote, "My cookie decorating box." Let me rephrase that... Cassie's cookie decorating box..."

Anonymous said...

Cassie????
Cassie has no cookie box!

Anonymous said...

this is what i found...is this similar to what you, i mean cassie, have?

http://www.impservicio.com/?file=/prodarea/prod_gac.jsp

tera