Friday, March 28, 2008

Free For All Friday

Good morning and T.G.I.F!  Thanks to all the well wishers.  I am feeling much better than yesterday at time and last night my sister and niece flew into town, so things are looking up!

Today, in another Free For All Friday, we wrap up our suggestions for Cristine who is coordinating a golfing blowout for her husband's 40th birthday and then we move on to our next challenge.  Cristine... I've thought a lot about this over the week, and because you are so creative in your own right, it made the challenge especially hard. 
 
Cassie kicked the brainstorming off last week with the suggestion of towels, t-shirts, luggage tags (for which I know a very talented woman who might be willing.  She does this as a side business), and beer buckets filled with tees and balls.  Then Cheryl acquainted us with zazzle.com - a fun web site for purchasing imprinted items on a smaller scale.  Both good and helpful suggestions.

I was hard-pressed to come up with something new and improved.  I am kind of practical so my inclination was to steer away from reasonably priced chatchka that guys may or may not keep. Instead here's what I have...
  • How about renting a photo booth to be positioned somewhere on the course (preferably the back nine - after everyone has had enough time to "loosen up")?  Pals could take fun group shots to commemorate the day's events.  Pictures are great keepsakes.
  • If the idea of a photo booth seems impractical, maybe you could hire a photographer to spend an hour or two taking pics on the course.  Most companies that do this can imprint an event name (Struble Suds Golf Tournament), date, etc....
  • Rather than everyone getting a small chatchka, maybe you could purchase two or three larger items.  Prizes could be awarded at the 19th hole to the lucky guys who have some kind of dot or insignia on the bottom of their beer mug. 
And finally... the most award winning idea for which I can take no credit.  My husband thought of this and I think it's perfect (in fact, if you don't do it he probably will)...

  • To develop this idea I whacked Richard on the side of the head (fun visual, huh) and employed the idea of "reverse" (see 3/11).  Instead of believing that YOU need to leave everyone with a party favor, reverse the thinking and contemplate everyone leaving something that will stay with you! Richard's idea... Purchase a pewter or silver beer mug. Then, have the name of everyone attending the 40th birthday celebration engraved along the side.  The mug can be prominently placed in Struble Suds for all the guys to see each time they visit!  I love this idea, as it commemorates the celebration in a way that will have meaning to Matt.  ...It is after all a celebration of him! 
  • Anybody else have something?!?!?  Now is the time to chime in.
O.K. Onto the challenge for this week...

When talking about storing items (3/25), Tera posed a great challenge.  She wrote..."What do you suggest for keeping things organized in a small apartment?  I work as a hall director, so I live in a university apartment.  I don't have the luxury of a garage or attic like most of you."

So there it is... our challenge for the week.  Storage solutions for the space-challenged.  You all take your best crack at it and I'll post my response next Friday.

Signing off until tomorrow...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are their 19 holes in golf???
The beer mug thing is good except that lots of men give these as thank you gifts to their wedding party. Also, when I was working we would get tons of these from various vendors.
I'm going to have to say the personalized beer bucket still rocks!
A fun tee shirt and a beer bucket to keep in or on your bar.
That's cool! All men love free tee shirts!

Anonymous said...

Did we find out if Stanley is of age?
Do you think they might find him at that 19th hole?

Anonymous said...

i'm very excited to hear all of your suggestions on how to store thing in a small apartment...all of you blog readers have amazing ideas!

tera

Anonymous said...

I agree...with cassie the beer stein/mug is overplayed and the fun of a party is to provide some type of favor to take away. A t-shirt is a great idea. Perhaps they could even make there own with the created logo and using iron on transfers which have come a long way and if used correctly can come out looking like a screen printed shirt.

What if each guy was given a 6 pack of beer and you tape labels with the logo you created on the beer bottles. All you have to do is measure the label and then customize on your printer the new labels you will place over the beer. This idea would allow you to customize the bottles for each person as well as putting some memorable factoids or items about Matt on the bottle. This leaves them with a practicle yet memorable take away gift which WILL be used.
My last idea is to give mini bags of peanuts with the logo on them...or any other food item that a group of guys would enjoy.


AND NOW FOR SOME STORAGE SOLUTIONS
As for storage issues...I have mentioned once before fucntional storage solutions. When purchasing furniture look for items that can serve multiple duties. Perhaps a trunk can function as an end table or coffee table, but also serve as storage for blankets and other items you may not have room to store.
Another great solution is to find some old suitcases with character and make a display out of them. Maybe they become a side table or night stand by your bed. If you stack three cases you will have three areas for storage.

Anonymous said...

i'm very excited to hear all of your suggestions on how to store thing in a small apartment...all of you blog readers have amazing ideas!

tera

Katie said...

As a current college student living in an apartment- I may be able to offer a few bits of advice for things that I do to maximize space.

One place where I store items that I don't necessarily use on a daily basis, but that I want easy access to is under my bed inside my suitcases. I have to store the suitcases somewhere anyway, so I might as well make them functional while they're under there.

Another place I have found storage is by arranging my closet a certain way. By putting all my shirts to the one side of the closet, it creates room for storage bins to be stacked on the one side (or for me, all of my craft supplies are stored here). I know some people like their closet organized by color, but then some pants or dresses hang too low and you can't maximize the space by stacking bins.

As for the golf outing/40th birthday ideas:
What if you made a play on Claudia's typo about the 19th hole? Somehow play into your party favor about the 19th hole...the party that never ends. Maybe make the bucket to look like it is a golf hole and it could be the 19th hole. Just an idea!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

No, there aren't actually 19 holes in golf. It's figurative for... the gathering place to drink.

The ideas have been great. Keep them coming.

Anonymous said...

For a very small fee you can rent a storage unit. It is ideal for things like holiday items or other things you do not need access to regularly.

I also have found that when I have needed to downsize I am able to better reflect on all of the things I own that are not really needed. It is a good time to think hard about what I have, what I need and what I am trying to hold on to (the memory or the object?). It is a good time to purge and ship off to goodwill. Most people on this planet do not require multiple holiday tubs for holiday decor the way we do, yet their holidays are likely just as precious. I try to put that in perspective when attacking my organizational woes.

Golf: You could send out a slide show if pictures taken at the event after it is over. If you are really speedy, or have some help you can even load them on a CD or jump drive and hand them out after people leave the "19th Hole".

Also, how about creating silly tube-sock animals/characters for their golf clubs? You could create a new mascot for the event.

Concerned Anon Strikes Again

Anonymous said...

Does anyone out there know why their are 18 holes in golf not 11, 21 or 15 and why the gathering place/bar is called the 19th hole?
Christine if you know the answer to this question it may lead you to a party favor and I'll bet any of the readers that live in KY could help you make it happen.

Anonymous said...

Hello All. I have never been to this site and thought I would drop by. Thanks for the thoughts pertaining to my bday, but I have a request. Any thoughts on what the big 40th party should be called? All the names I think of Cristine doesn't care for. I hope a creative group such as yourselves may have an idea.

Anonymous said...

If either of the Struble's post the answer to Cassie's question about why 18 holes I'll personally ship the favors from KY...(you are right Cassie you can clearly find the best in KY!)

Anonymous said...

Thank-you Heather.
Matt, the best parties start with a simple idea and go grand.
It's easier to make simply grand than to make grand simple.
If you start with a simple idea you could make it magical by covering every possible thought that comes to mind. You can go way over the top with out killing yourself.
Once you identify your theme then names and favors all fall into place.
So if the theme is Struble Suds than it's all suds related. Struble Suds 40th. Classic. Just keep it simple, commit and go for it!
Me big question is why are you planning? I thought your 40th was supposed to be a wonderful surprise hosted by family and friends. Get the Beenys involved and step back and enjoy! Let friends and family WOW you and honor you!

Anonymous said...

The answer for the reason for 18 holes - well, I saw two possiblities. Both of these reasons were from St. Andrews - 1. the original 22 hole course was too much to maintain and 2. It takes exactly 18 shots to finish a fifth of Scotch.
Thanks for all your help with Matt's party favors. We'll keep you posted with the outcome.
Also, if you have any words of wisdom for the soon be be 40 year old, please go to www.strublesuds.com Matt is 40 page to send him a note.
Thanks- Cristine

Anonymous said...

Cristine,
I've always hear 18 holes because 18 shots are in a fifth of bourbon.
I guess Scotch is close enough...but KY has the bourbon down pat (better than scotch).
So if you'd like to take me up on the offer I'd be willing to ship you some (we could have it personalized for Matt's birthday party)...just let me know.

Anonymous said...

That is an urban myth. There were 18 holes in "the" original golf course in Scotland. I dont recall which one, but it is still considered the mothership. It wasnt the first golf course, there were many before that, but it was the first to formalize the sport with rules and regulations. That is why there are 18 holes, not due to the size of a scotch, whiskey, or bourbon bottle.

-Anon