Thursday, March 6, 2008

Next Year at This Time

Today is a special day. Today my youngest son turns one year old. Hard to know for whom it is the greatest celebration... Jack because he is turning one or me and dad for making it through his first year. We'll celebrate this evening with his cousins, aunt, uncle, grandma and grandpa. Of course we'll have the requisite balloons, cake, party hat, and a couple of presents for him to open, but the thing about which I am most excited is the activity I am going to try.

I was a history major in college, so I find I am constantly in search of ways to document the life of my children. What does that have to do Jack's birthday? Tonight I will snap a Polaroid picture of each party goer. On the back of each person's picture I will ask them to write a prediction about some aspect of Jack's life in the upcoming year (first word, height, date when bottle gets the boot, injury in 2008-2009... or not, favorite toy, etc...). After the cake and ice cream has been eaten, I will seal the pictures in an envelope - not to be opened until his second birthday. Next year at this time, we will sit around the table reminiscing about who was at the party and deciding how accurate each of the predictions was. Then, we'll do it again for the next year and on and on it can go until Polaroid film is either discontinued or Jack isn't home to celebrate.

Tomorrow I'll let you know how it went. Until then, I'm signing off. I have cupcakes to bake.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, one year! I still remember with Ben he got all of these toys and ended up playing with a coaster pushing it around on the floor all night! Anyway, I had everone write down some words of advice on a slip of paper and all were put in an envelope not to be opened until he is 18. Some of the advice is pretty funny, my Dad told him not to get married until age 35!
:)SES

Anonymous said...

wow--one year old! Have a wonderful birthday celebration. I am planning for Cormac's big 3 on St. Pat's Day. Enjoy this special day--meaghan

Anonymous said...

I like this idea. I felt it necessary to let you know that you had best buy your polaroid film in bulk, because several weeks back polaroid announced they will be doing away with instant pictures. Sad I know!
Your blog is enjoyable, but sometimes seems as if you may be trying to hard to present ideas. I think the post today was perfect because it was not over the top and real.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jack Jack!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jack.
You're very lucky that your mom is so creative and keeps up with these special birthday traditions. Unfortunately the Struble first birthday party tradition was a little over the top. One thing that we can share - green icing can be difficult to wash out of blond hair.
We wish you much laughter, happiness, and tons of cake on your first birthday.
Cristine & the Struble boys

Anonymous said...

To the person who said the blogger maybe trying too hard to present ideas....not the case...you don't know this woman! I know she actually does these things! I am still waiting for my Tuesday phone call though!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Jack! Looks like you get to keep this special day all to yourself, since my little one still hasn't made an appearance... hope the party was fun for all!