Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Red Carpet Tuesday

Announcements at the end...

As I mentioned yesterday, this is Red Carpet Week on Highlowaha. Our community is in the thick of planning for two big events: Valentines Day (February 14) and the Highlowaha People's Choice Awards on Wednesday, February 18 at 8:00 p.m. (CST). Both are too important to miss, so mark your calendars now.

As promised, I will share two ideas each day this week. The first should get your wheels turning as you begin making plans for Valentines Day and the second will assure all your ducks are in a row four days later, for the red carpet People's Choice Awards Show.

Valentine's Day
Today we'll talk parties. When I was single and just moved to Wilmington, North Carolina my friend Debbie (who happened to work at the same university) and I hosted a "Red and Pink Clashes" party with. It was girls only and you had to wear either red or pink. I seem to remember having stir fry for dinner, but I definitely remember that dessert was a yummo Strawberry Shortcake (Bisquick has a great recipe). Red strawberries and pink whip cream. It was a fun night of games, "chick flicks," and girl talk. Don't want to host a party? How about a Red and Pink Clashes luncheon with your friends?

Newlywed Game: Invitations to the Beeny version of this party just went out the other day. It's simple. We've invited seven couples to join us for a fun-filled night. Each couple receives 2 small chalk boards, chalk, and eraser. Richard and I develop fun questions to be answered by husbands and wives. Naturally a couple's goal is to have as many matching answers as possible. Some examples of questions we have used in the past are: "The famous person your husband will most say you most remind him of is...". "The item of your husband's clothing you would most like to get rid of is...," and " ." This year dinner will be a potluck, though you could just as easily do it later and serve coffee and dessert.
Virtually Groundbreaking Red Carpet Event:
Only 15 more days until February 18, 2009 at 8:00 p.m. Today we'll talk decorations. We've already established the fact that you'll be all dressed in all your glitz and glam. It seems only fitting, then, that your living room also be decked out. Here's the beauty of our timing. Only four days earlier is Valentine's Day and three days later is the Oscar's. If you play your cards right you could have decorations that work for all three events. And, what a week it will be?!?!
  • Valentine's Day... red. People's Choice... red carpet. Oscars... also red carpet. Party city sells faux red carpets for $5.99. You could let each member of your family walk the red carpet on Valentine's day while you broadcast what you love about them and then use the same red carpet to deck out your home for the People's Choice Awards.
  • Instead of doing the traditional heart/cupid thing for Valentine's Day, how about stars? "You're a star." Cover them in red glitter.
  • Or how about a walk of fame, coming up your driveway (or residence hall, all you res-lifers)?
  • Red candles would work nicely for Valentines day, but also set great atmosphere for Wednesday night's affair.
  • Swags of red, white, or black tulle will look festive draped over your kitchen chairs Valentine's morning, but four days later can be used to make your living room look elegant.
  • Classical music and silver serving trays will make any Valentine's dinner more special and both will work beautifully during your People's Choice Pre-Party.
Announcements:
  • Thumbprints: Last week a handful of you followed through and emailed me thumbprint art. Below are some of the masterpieces thanks to Peggy, Misty, and Shannon.



  • Mailing addresses: Remember, we are looking for the names of 50 people (friends, colleagues, neighbors, or acquaintances from book clubs, sports practices, or other weekly meetings). We plan to send cards, inviting people to join our community beginning February 19 (first day of the new year).
  • Kristen: Inquiring minds want to know... what did you end up getting your hubby for your one year anniversary?
  • Congratulations Michelle and Robin: Michelle won the generously donated Belly Cast from reader, Stacie. Robin was last week's other lucky winner, having won a photo shoot, for she and her family, with the up and coming photographer, Laura Kline.
Signing off until tomorrow...

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been lucky enough to be invited to the Beeny's Valentine's Day party a time or two and it is fun, fun, fun!!! I'm never the one planning but it doesn't seem as though the game itself takes much coordination but the responses are HILARIOUS!!!
I'd highly recommend this to people trying to think of fun activities to do with your friends....Melanie I think of you specifically and the young couples group you are a part of at church....this would be a perfect party for a group from that organization.

Anonymous said...

I've been lucky enough to be invited to the Beeny's Valentine's Day party a time or two and it is fun, fun, fun!!! I'm never the one planning but it doesn't seem as though the game itself takes much coordination but the responses are HILARIOUS!!!
I'd highly recommend this to people trying to think of fun activities to do with your friends....Melanie I think of you specifically and the young couples group you are a part of at church....this would be a perfect party for a group from that organization.

Cheryl Houston said...

I love that photo of you and Richard. Hilarious.

My boys asked what we're doing for Valentine's Day. Drew has wanted to bake a cake from a story he read so we'll probably do that. And, I don't know what else...

I'm getting excited about the People's Choice Award Party but I don't have a thing to wear. I got rid of all my "fancy" bridesmaids dresses when I moved.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Cheryl and others... a boa from any craft store will work wonders for whatever outfit you decide to wear to the People's Choice Awards! If you get one from Michael's or Joann's Fabrics, don't forget the 40% of coupon!

Katie said...

I received my goal fishing package today!!! I'm very excited.

Also, I have to comment on the picture of you and Richard...priceless.

I'm off to get some reading done for class- I was banking on a snow day today and didn't get it, so now I have some catching up to do!

Happy Day, HLA!

Kristen Giger said...

Jory and I decided to keep costs down and go with a lowkey first anniversary. We went to dinner at Ricardo's (the restaurant we had our dinner at after our small wedding) then we went to the hotel where we stayed our wedding night. I was a mess as it was my first night away from Jennifer...

Today I am watching another 10 month old (as well as Jennifer)...to those of you having twins...good luck...you have my respect!

lindsaymarie said...

i got my red envelope today! it was perfect timing, i was on my way to work, and my coworkers were gathering money to buy a gift for our boss from all of us student workers. i added my red envelope dollar in with my contribution, and it will go toward buying a rocker-chair-baby-thing (you know... those things!) for her baby shower! i know, i'm a few days late for last week's theme but i still think it's pretty awesome timing. now if she names the baby emma, which is the name on my envelope, things will be really wild.

Kat said...

My sister in law gave Robert and I the "official" newlywed game for Christmas. There are hundreds of great questions, and I can't wait to play with our friends. I wish I had thought of a Valentine's Day party earlier, but with Max's second birthday coming up, I just don't think I can do two parties in one week! You can guarantee that I will be rolling out the red carpet for the People's Choice Awards, though!

Anonymous said...

DH and I did a version of an old game show from MTV with Jenny McCarthy - can't think of the name of it now. We had way more fun than when we spend big bucks.

Anonymous said...

Just looked it up. Singled out! was the show...

Cheryl Houston said...

Yay Kat! What are you wearing though????

maureen said...

Claudia I hate that all the fun stuff is taking place right before Krystens party. I am going to be way too busy to get involved. My timing has always been off!!!!

Meeshie said...

Julie - I would love for you to pick me up a pebble!
What's your email address?

I dunno what do wear for the peoples choice awards. but i do have a pretty scarf i can don.

Valentines day is going to be a bit of a bust - seeing that my husband isnt going to be here. but i'm sure i'll be hanging out with my best friend and all that.

Cant wait to get my belly cast in the mail!!!!

Anonymous said...

ill be babysitting the night of valentines day! i need the money for spring break more than i need to have a party with my friends...and i dont have a significant other to go out on a date with. BUT maybe i can do something fun with the little kids ill be babysitting...hmmmm.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Maureen... don't fail me now. We need you at the People's Choice Awards. Wednesday, February 18 at 8:00 p.m.

HLA need you there - even if you're just wearing a boa and bunny slippers.

Julie said...

michelle - my email address:
jschnepp@daemen.edu

Kat said...

Cheryl- I have no idea! I might just do my hair and wear lots of sparkly jewelry to dress up a not-so-fancy dress.