Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Clean Sweep


Today is Day 2 of Highlowaha's week of Unfinished Business. Our blog community is gearing up for the celebration of our one year anniversary, on Wednesday, February 18. But, before we can walk the red carpet at our much anticipated People's Choice Award Show (8:00 p.m. CST), we have some unfinished business to... well, to finish.

On Monday, readers generated a list of 16 topics for which some sort of closure was being sought. Unfinished business with people was the focus of yesterday's housekeeping. We followed up on letters written, outcomes of suggestions made by fellow readers, and the unresolved question... When is Ray's birthday? Before we switch gears and begin talking service projects, let tick another unresolved topic off my list...

After lots of adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing Ray Wattson's birthday has been determined! 16+6x2.2+540/8.5-6x2+0+3x7.5 (average of 6 or 9 cookies) = 970.85. Drop the zero and the .85, leaving us with 97... September 7! A quick glance at Highlowaha's favorite reference book, Colorstrology, reveals the following about Ray...

First of all you will all be relieved to know his colorstrology color is Dahlia PURPLE - a shade of purple that looks amazingly close to Ray's purple boots! 

His profile reads..."Good-looking, Discriminating, Verbal. If you were born on this day you are smart and discriminating and tend to choose your words carefully. You have an understanding of true beauty and good health. Although you are outgoing and friendly, it is not always easy for people to get to know you on a deep level. You save the more intimate parts of yourself for a chosen few. Compatible birthdays: January 8, April 27, October 27.

Pretty good, huh?

Onto service projects. There were two projects for which readers wanted closure. First the Helping Hands Holiday Project and second, Project Paint the Town Red. All tolled, Highlowaha engaged in four service projects this year. I'm proud of our commitment to service, and already planned to make mention of during next Wednesday's award ceremony. In an effort not to be redundant, today I will share enough to make good on my promise, but not so much you have no reason to tune in next Wednesday night.

Helping Hands Holiday Project. Success. Highlowaha rose to the challenge and adopted a family for the 2008 holiday season. The family we helped was a single mother with five children, living in Pennsylvania. Two fundraisers yielding approximately $500.00, plus more than 100 donated items helped assure this family had a memorable Christmas. Items included everything from clothing, to book bags, legos, sleeping bags, craft items, bedding, books, games, and gift cards to purchase food. Special thanks to Sue Kolkmeier, who coordinated the project early on and who involved her co-workers in donating items. Additional thanks to Brian Root, and Maureen Peres for also coordinating the project early on and to Tera who allowed items to be shipped to her home and who took responsibility for delivering the items to our family. What a great team effort.

Project Paint the Town Red: Anticipated Success. I say anticipated success, because there are still four days to participate in this project (it ends on Valentine's Day). This project is compliments of Heather who told us about, Julie, her friend that is suffering from a terminal illness. Julie loves Coca-Cola, so building a service project around Coke seemed like a match made in heaven. For the past six months our blog community has been competing, by regions, to see who can collect the most Coke reward numbers. In the end the reward numbers will be donated to Julie, so that she may use the points to buy items she otherwise might never afford. Six of the eight regions have actively participated, racking up more than 5,000 points! Coke is red... Red is the color of Valentine's Day. Maybe - if we put our minds to it - we can reach 5,500 points by Saturday. Nothing says I love you like a Coke!

Two for two on the service projects.  I call that a, "clean sweep!"

One more quick note before the week gets away from us. I'd love to declare this week Amnesty Week. When I was in college the library and campus dining halls used to declare one day a semester Amnesty Day. What it meant was you could return all overdue books to the library and stolen utensils to the dining hall without being questioned or penalized. If you are anything like me, you might have an outstanding item or note that should already have made its way to a fellow Highlowaha reader, but hasn't. Join me in starting off our new year with all of last year's Highlowaha business resolved. Stick that package - no matter how long overdue - in the mail. You'll feel better and I'm sure you'll bring a smile to another reader's face.

Signing off until tomorrow when we bring you up to speed on Highlowaha Programs.

13 comments:

Katie said...

Good morning, HLA!!

I have to tell Heather really quickly that I have a TON of Coke Rewards codes to send to you. They are piling up in my apartment from my residents and I have not had the time to type them all in. They will be coming your way before the 14th, I can promise that!

And I love that Ray's birthday is in September...what a great month! I may be slightly biased, though!

Finally, I don't think I have any un-sent packages. However, Mt. Kelly, if you are out there, did you receive your Virginia ornament for your tree?

Anonymous said...

Katie...Woohoo you may just single handedly bump us up to 5500 points.

Tera I'd love to hear more about the family's response to our service project if you have anything to add.

Anonymous said...

WARNING...THIS IS A LONG POST!

The family was SOOOO thankful for what they received. They gave my mom a nice thank you card, but somewhere in the mix of the holiday and my gramma being sick right after, it's been misplaced (not lost yet...still may come up!). Each family member wrote a little something inthe card saying how thankful they were. My mom said that the kids said it was their best Christmas EVER!

Aside from all of the great gifts listed below, the mom received $250 to spend as she liked. They also received toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, tissues, laundry detergent and dish soap that will last quite some time.

Each child received a tub/bin with their name on it & decorated that contained some of their gifts...and can also be used for storage. Here is what the family received:

TWIN 1
Sleeping bag
CD player
Book bag
Guitar Hero hand-held game
Pokemon trading-cards
Socks
Hat & Gloves
6 new shirts (some long sleeved)
2 hooded sweatshirts
3 pairs of pants
Coat
Thermal Set

TWIN 2
Sleeping bag
Remote controlled car
Action figure & trading cards
Book bag
Guitar Hero hand-held game
Narurto trading-cards
Hat & Gloves
6 new shirts (some long sleeved)
2 hooded sweatshirts
3 pairs of pants
Coat
Thermal Set

OTHER BOY
Sleeping bag
Matchbox cars
Remote controlled car
Skate board with knee & elbow pads
Bath robe
Lego’s
Hat & Gloves
6 new shirts (some long sleeved)
2 hooded sweatshirts
3 pairs of pants
Coat

OLDEST GIRL
2 Taylor Swift CDs
Bike helmet with knee & elbow pads
Do-It-Yourself jewelry making kit
Bratz doll
Bath robe
Coat
3 pair of jeans
Blouse
Sweater
Hannah Montana shirt
Sparkly top
Socks

BABY GIRL
Glo worm
Stacking star blocks
Baby doll
“The Farmer Says” toy
Books
Coat
2 sets of hat & gloves
Jumper
Two sweat suits
Socks
Jeans
Khaki pants
2 tops
An entire outfit

MOM
Coffee pot
2 sets of sheets
2 pillows
Candles
Purse
Shirt
Slippers
Books
Shower gel
Scarf & gloves
Earrings
$50 to Walmart for groceries
Gift Card to get shoes for the girls

FAMILY GAMES
Battleship
Uno
Monopoly
Sorry
Trouble

Anonymous said...

Wow - what a great job on the helping hands charity. In these times, it so nice to see that everyone is in the giving spirit.
I have an unmailed package for AZ Lori. I need to send you a Struble Suds shirt - but I don't know what size to send. Please send me a note to cristine@strublesuds.com.
Also - a little something today - does anyone use Red Box for movies? You know those movie vending machines outside of Walgreens, markets, etc. Anyhow - Today at Walgreens locations you can get a FREE movie - use the code WGREEN2 at checkout. Nothing makes my day like a free item. Good for me too - because it's raining in IL and the kids are bored to death.
Have a great day everyone!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Cristine... you are a gold mine! Thank you for continuing to share you money saving tips with us!

Anonymous said...

Katie- I did not get your Virginia ornament- do you know what address you mailed it to?

maureen said...

Thanks for the update! Have a great day HLA!!!

Nobody sends me coke rewards anymore and I am getting lonely!!!

Cheryl Houston said...

Ray shares his birthday with Buddy Holly- hey! They kind of have the same glasses.

Good job to all those that helped with Helping Hand and Paint the Town Red.

Anonymous said...

I know Claudia asked a few weeks ago for names and addresses of potential new readers...I just pulled mine together and wanted to remind everyone to use this Amnesty day to get your names sent in.

Anonymous said...

AHHH! its been a long day for me because ive been without HLA allllll day long! for some reason, i could not access hla.com on my computer! i just tried again, for about the 12th time, and it finally worked. my day is now complete. HAHA

Ray's birthday is perfect!

And what we were able to do for that family is so cool! I am proud of us!

Peggy said...

I'm glad to hear such good things are happening here!!

I was having trouble with my link to HLA too, but then did a google search, and found my way around it!

I've talked to numerous 'friends' about HLA, but many are too busy, and wonder where I have the time for such... silly....I mean FUN-ness!!! I list the link many times on my blog... sad to say... I'm not much of an enabler!!!

Brian K. Root said...

Tera... your update made my day, especially since I've been wondering for so long how the project fared.

Katie said...

Heather- I just sent you 260 more codes. Hopefully that will put us over.

Kelly- oh no! Okay, well, I'll try to find a VA ornament somewhere around this state and get it off to you! I do not remember what address I sent it to- sorry!