Monday, February 16, 2009

Daily Dose(s)

Announcements at the end...

My girlfriend gave me a calendar titled, "For Women Who Do Too Much."  I'm pretty sure she authored the calendar based on her own high-achieving, never-stops-moving, I-am-woman-hear-me-roar life.  I love the 365 days - each page filled with fun facts, quotes, and other inspirations.  I like to read the daily thought and then try to figure out why I might be crossing paths with that particular message on that particular day.

This morning's is a cinch. 
SPA DAY: For your spa hour this month -  get a loofah, one of those wonderful Japanese scrubbing cloths, or even a good vegetable brush.  Then give yourself a complete dry scrub, removing all dead, dry skin and increasing circulation.  Don't neglect any part of your body.  Then take a long shower or bath.

The past 7-10 days has worn me out!  Red carpet, staging, lights, and cameras; finishing touches on the carefully crafted People's Choice Awards; shopping for just the right number to wear; and planning a menu commensurate with the occasion.  Life in the fast lane is exhausting.  Then of course there was the whole week of bearing my soul and the admitting guilt.  Throw in the creation of 44 kids valentines, two parties, and a traveling husband and - come to think of it - I know why I'm tired.  And you're tired too, I am sure.

But this is a big week and we should be ready and rested for all that is to come.  The excitement will mount each day this week, as we celebrate the one year anniversary of Highlowaha.  By now your calendars should be marked (in bright red pen) with our Red Carpet event, taking place this Wednesday at 8:00 p.m. CST.  Then, immediately following on Thursday morning a big announcement will be made - one you won't want to miss.

That's why today's thought-of-the-day seemed so well timed.  A Spa Day on a Monday in the middle of the month.  What could be more appropriate?  I'm doin' it... loofah and all.  How about you?  Is there some tip or trick of the trade you use to make yourself feel like you've been treated to an afternoon at the spa?  Share your creative tips so we can feel like the rich and famous. 

Switching gears...

You may or may not remember my small obsession with presidential historian, Doris Kearns Goodwin (in my next life I will have her job).  Anyway, the closest I'm going to get right now is the other calendar given to me by a friend who knows of my obsession.  Each of these pages is filled with a fun fact about former presidents and first ladies.  Normally, I might not subject you to the daily quips and quotes from this calendar, but today's Presidents' Day and I'll feel better knowing I did my part.
He had charm, insight, a way with words, and - eventually - greatness.  But Abraham Lincoln didn't have looks.  "Barnum should buy and exhibit him as a zoological curiosity," said one New York newspaper.  True to form, though, Lincoln was the first to admit his shortcomings.  During the famous debates of 1858, Stephen Douglas accused him of being two-faced.  "I leave it to my audience," replied Lincoln.  "If I had another face, do you think I would wear this one?"
Announcements:
  • First to admit his shortcomings: Here I go one last time and then truly I am done for the year.  Yesterday was a supposed to be a slide show of pictures from the Olympics and Pen Pal Weekend.  Here's the deal...  I literally held onto the Olympic photos and emails for months and months.  Somewhere along the line, I must have tried to rid myself of all the guilt, by purging my files of all the pictures.  I literally cannot find them anywhere in my electronic files.  So it's done.  Final.  There was not, nor will there ever be, a slide show of Olympic pictures.  I am truly sorry.
  • There's Still Hope: for the COOKBOOK.  Saturday many of you posted recipes you loved, along with short statements about what makes the recipe meaningful.  Keep them coming, because Tera has volunteered to compile them into a Highlowaha Cookbook.  All you Olympic and Super Bowl participants, dig out all those winning recipes and pass them along to Tera - either by snail mail or by email.
  • One more announcement: For those of you who have been following my professional path, in addition to my Highlowaha and family path, this announcement be of some interest.  One week from today I will begin a new position at the University of North Texas.  The University received a federal grant, studying student retention.  I will serve as the grants director, coordinating all the moving pieces between Academic Affairs, Enrollment Management, and Student Affairs.  I waited a long time for a position that genuinely felt like the right fit, so this is very welcomed news. 
I'm off to my in-house SPA... ASAP.

Signing off until tomorrow...

17 comments:

Katie said...

Happy Monday, HLA!!!

I'm excited for this week and so excited that HLA has reached its one year anniversary!

As for a spa day- I gave myself my version of that on Saturday morning. It was the warmest day we have seen in a while and so that morning I got up and trimmed, buffed, filed and painted my toe nails! It was my first official day of breaking back out the flip flops and my 'spa' was giving myself beautiful nails to show off that day! That entire day I felt so relaxed and happy to know that Spring is coming and my toes were free to the world in their flip flops! (I hate shoes and having my feet closed up all winter long!)

I'll send along my recipes to Tera.
And...congrats again on the new job...I'm so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Spa Day...that's almost laughable...maybe because the last week has been so insane I just can even begin to think of the feasibility.
Oh well...one of these day...er...years.

I guess I should at least paint my toe nails for the Red Carpet Awards show since my toes will be showing.

Congratulations again on the new job...I'm happy for you but sad that our lunch dates will come to an end =(.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS on the job, Dr. B!

I, like Katie, am not a fan of shoes. I would rather weart flip flops, and do sometimes wear them in winter here. BUT the weatehr was warmer and I got to break mine out last week too, and painted my toenails before!

Julie said...

A much deserved congratulations, CKB :) I'm truly happy for you and wish you nothing but happiness in unexpected ways!

Tera - I was able to pick up my package you sent me yesterday! Thank you so much!! The woman who got it for me even commented on how nicely decorated the box was!!

Lori - I actually read through that pampered chef party email!!! HAHA! I feel like an idiot after leaving you the message I did!

I've gotten hooked on actual pedicures (thanks to Tera's wedding!!!) ... I think I'm due for one soon ... flip flop weather is here in AZ!

Anonymous said...

Hi all. No spa day for me here...I'm sick as a dog. WOOF!

If you have recipes, you can send them to be at tmichalski05@jcu.edu or Tera Johnson, 2590 N. Moreland, E22, Shaker Heights, OH 44120.

Julie...I'm glad you got it yesterday. It was supposed to be there by Saturday and when I didn't hear from you, I was ready to go to the post office and get my money back!

Happy Monday!

Julie said...

It was "here" on Saturday. The problem was, I didn't check my mail until Sunday!

Peggy said...

Congrats!!!.... so, those close to you knew about this... because they are saying congrats.... again.

Mmmm, and a few weeks ago when I was being the Barbara Walters investigator... you laughed at me when I said you probably got a job (outside the home)!!! So this means your job being our 'life coach' days is numbered!!

Ain't life grand? Congratulations and best wishes on your new adventures!!

As for me and a spa treatment... I do a mix of things already mentioned... pedicures... while I vacation I normally get a massage or a facial... but if you figure we go away every other year... it's not often I get that treat!

Kristen Giger said...

CONGRATS CKB on your new job...should be a good fit! You deserve that spa today; however, since my idea of a spa is spending time outside, i don't have any fancy tips or tricks for you.


Anyway...those of you who can wear flip flops today, do so with pride...i'll be putting onmy shoes and socks in our wonderful 24 degree weather :(

Jess said...

Congrats on the new job! That is awesome. I wish I had time for a spa day. It is homecoming week here and things are crazy at work and crazy busy at home. I think Heather has the right idea...toenail painting might be the easiest route today.

Cheryl Houston said...

Congrats on the job, Claudia!

Spa day... somewhere between every 4 - 8 weeks I head over to the nail salon and have my toes done. It varies on the time depending on how the paint job has lasted. I'm spoiled but I love for my toes to look nice. It's a lunch hour- everyone should get one today!

I also love a good nap. I know the Beeny household is laughing their heads off at that one but a good 15 minute snooze does wonders- an hour even better!

Is there a deadline on the recipe submission?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Homecoming in the same week as HLA's one year anniversary? How's that for a busy week!

Kristen, I love your suggestion for pampering yourself... get outside! That is part of the point of today... to share a wide variety of ways we pamper ourselves.

One thing I like to do is buy a fun magazine (Oprah, Real Simple) and then hunker down underneath a blanket.

As far as a deadline for the recipes... I'm going to say we can roll out our cookbook in time for Mother's Day (I am not thinking we are having it professionally produced). How about we collect recipes until Wednesday, March 18?

Meg said...

CKB ... Congrats on your new job! Sounds very interesting. I have a friend from my grad program who works at North Texas.

Peggy said...

A 'beauty' tip I got a while back, after brushing your teeth, use your tooth brush and brush your lips... we tend to forget to exfoliate our lips ... it feels good, just don't brush too hard.

Anonymous said...

Peggy...I tried to post this on your blog but it wouldn't let me for some reason but I LOVE your cowbell story.
That is HILARIOUS!!!!!

Ring on sister!

eknoxuk said...

Hmmm...spa day. I actually got a shower before my husband left this morning, so the treat was that I had time to shave my legs:) TMI huh!

Here's my recipe-my MIL's chocolate cake recipe, the way to my husband's heart! We have celebrated many birthdays and occasions with this easy 30 minute chocolate cake!
Cake:
2C flour
2C sugar
2 sticks butter
4 T cocoa
1C water
1/2 C buttermilk-full fat!
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 t baking soda
1 t vanilla
Mix flour and sugar, set aside. In a small saucepan, mix the butter, cocoa and water. Bring to a boil, then pour over the sugar/flour mix. Stir well. Mix buttermilk and baking soda separately. Add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk mix. Pour in 9x13. Bake at 400 for 20-25 min.

Icing:
1/2 C butter
4 T cocoa
6 T milk
1 box powdered sugar
1 t vanilla

Start about 5 min before cake is done. In saucepan, mix butter, cocoa and milk. Bring to boil. Add powdered sugar, whisk to prevent lumps. Add vanilla. Frost cake before cool.!

Brian K. Root said...

congrats on the job, Claudia... that's exciting news.

Anonymous said...

Spa day...thats what I am talking about!!! I love a good massage, pedicure, facial...whatever just pamper me. I don't treat myself often enough though. I have a great book called "Home Spa". The name says it all. Here is a recipe from the book:

Eye Puffiness Reducer :)

Set the Mood:
Turn on your fav music before you lean back and place the soaked cotton balls over your eyes. This treatment affords you the perfect opportunity to truly listen.

1 bag chamomile tea
1 cup (230 ml) boiling water
1/2 cup (120 ml) rose water

Steep tea bag in boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove bag and allow tea to cool. Add rose water to tea. Soak two cotton balls in preparation and place over eyelids. Leave on for 5 minutes.

This toner reduces the puffiness of tired eyes (Do any of you have these? I KNOW I DO!)Rose water tones skin and tightens pores while chamomile reduces inflammation. ENJOY!

Claudia...Congratulations! I am very happy for you. Don't forget to take time for you!!