Thursday, February 5, 2009

Red Carpet: Sugar SWAKS

Lip Smacking Fun!
Is it Thursday already?  

Nothing makes time fly faster than a countdown... except maybe two countdowns!  First, Valentine's Day (9 days away) and then our Virtually Groundbreaking People's Choice Award Show(13 days away).

Monday was Valentine bags and invitation addresses.  Tuesday we talked Valentine's parties and festive decorations.  Yesterday the power of Paper Plate Awards and today... lips.  Today is about lip S.W.A.K.s and Lip SMACKS.

Lip S.W.A.K (sealed with a kiss)...
Sometimes the treat comes first and then comes the idea for its packaging.  Other times the packaging drives the idea for treat.  In this instance, the packaging drove the treat.  Weeks ago I was in Target and the Dollar Bin was full of small red, pink, and white mailboxes (with a flag and everything).  I love mail, so you can imagine mini mailboxes would catch my eye.  I bought twelve, so I could use them as Valentine treats for day care providers and neighbors.  I thought about filling them with chocolate kisses and a small note, but then I had an idea... 

You've Got Mail
Sealed with a Kiss

Two days ago I was in Hobby Lobby and saw these fun lips, for 40% off 16.99 ($11.00)  Having already decided on baking cookie lips, I couldn't resist buying the containers (not to mention I collect big things).  Filled with cookies and chocolate kisses, it'll make the perfect gift for a special someone.
One more thing about lips.  A few years ago Matthew and I made a "kiss on a stick" to give his friends and teachers.  We used a lip stamp, red ink, red glitter, shishkabob sticks, red foam hearts, and chocolate kisses.  We made big red, glittery lips and then hot glued them, along with the foam hearts, to skewers (pointy end up) painted red.  Once done, we speared the pointy end with a chocolate kiss.  They were adorable!   

Lip Smacks:
Wardrobe... covered.  Guest list... covered.  Decorations... covered.  Awards... covered.  Next, food.  Today I am in search (and you should be too) for yummy, BUT SIMPLE, treats I can serve at my People's Choice Award party.  It'll be 8:00, so nothing heavy.  I'm thinking lip smacking desserts.  I can't get past chocolate covered strawberries, but surely - with your help - I can come up with something more original.  Anybody have any award winning ideas? 

Lay one on me. 

Signing off until tomorrow...

21 comments:

Kristen Giger said...

The absolute best lip smacking no fuss dessert in the whole wide world is a dump cake.

1 box white or yellow cake mix
2 cans pie filling (raspberry is a personal fav)
1 stick butter
Cinnamon

Pour the pie filling in the bottom of a glass 9x13 dish

sprinkle some cinnamon on top

dump the cake mix on top of that

drizzle melted butter overr the top

bake @ 350 for about 45 min.

Julie said...

I second Kristen's post. AND, with raspberry or strawberry or cherry, you've got red ... and if you use white cake mix instead of yellow, you've now got a red and white themed dessert! (side note 4th of July parties - use 1 can of a red berry and 1 can of blueberries ...)

Peggy said...

Some things I'm making tomorrow for a birthday celebration....
Chex Mix
&
Puppy Chow

those are both lip smacking good. Don't know what I'm talking about, just ask!

Also, I'm making Strawberries in sauce with Sarah Lee pound cake... and then a weird twist, also... TEX Mex deviled eggs.

I'll post on my blog what I did to my $1 mail tins from target... after work that is @@.

Cheryl Houston said...

OMG! Those cookies are so cute. I just joined a fitness challenge that will last through the end of March.... fruit bouquets?

Perfect timing for the SWAK post as last night I finally took some photos of all the lip prints that people have sent me. I started a new blog at www.giveme1000kisses.blogspot.com to keep people updated and solicit even more kisses. I need to update today's post so check it this afternoon. :)

Anonymous said...

Claudia...I, too, saw those mailboxes and fell in love with them. However, I ended up not getting them as I didn't know what to do with them. I should have bought them and "forced" myself to think of something creative to do with them. Shoot...maybe next year :)

For desserts...you could do a fruit "pie".

Bake sugar cookie dough in a flat cookie tray (you can make your own or buy the stuff in a package). Once cooled, cover it with strawberry cream cheese. Add your favorite fruits. You can design it however you want as long as it's all covered (strwaberry, kiwi and blueberries work best, but you can add whatever). Slice & serve.

Cheryl Houston said...

I just remembered this treat I read (AND MADE) from another blog I read...

http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2009/01/thaaank-you-betty.html

These cookie/brownies are to die for!!! So yummy! And fattening! And easy- even I could do it!

Bakerella does a lot of cake baking - cake balls! They look like a lot of work so they seem out of reach for someone like me but TERA!!! I think you could try some of her ideas. :) She has a Valentine post too if you want to check that out.
http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2009/02/valentines-day-gift-box-of.html

Anonymous said...

I like yogurt pie, very easy. You need:

1 graham cracker crust
1 12-16 oz Cool Whip
3 servings of yogurt (1 flavor)

You whip the yogurt and cool whip together, put it in the crust and chill. You can sprinkle something on it like granola to make it more attractive.

Meg said...

Something light and fluffy ... Taffy Apple Salad. It is the best dessert and it keeps the anti-chocolate people happy (though who could be a chocolate hater).

Taffy Apple Salad

1 20-oz. can chunk pineapple (drain and save juice)
2 cups mini marshmallows
(mix and refrigerate overnight)

Sauce:
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbs. flour
1 egg, well beaten
pineapple juice
Cook sauce on medium until thickened. Refrigerate overnight.

Mix sauce w/12 oz. Cool Whip. Dice 3 cups of good hard apples.
Add 1/2 cup salted cocktail peanuts. Mix together with sauce, pineapples and marshmallows. Refrigerate 2-3 hours.

Enjoy!!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Wow! These recipes look GREAT!!!! Hard to know how I will decide which to use. Hmmmmmmm......

Anonymous said...

Claudia- can you post your lip cookie recipe- that looks like a fun thing for my child's daycare party...or email it to me- thanks

Cheryl Houston said...

Wow! This group likes to eat!! :) Love it!

Katie said...

How about some of those famous lemon bars??? Delicious!!!

I'll look through my recipe book and get back to you all on this one.

Anonymous said...

CHERYL! I'm already in LOVE with that website. The Hello Kitty cake is adorable!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to bake those cookie/brownie things tonight or tomorrow. I'm going to Erie to visit my family and I am supposed to bring dessert. This will be PERFECT! Add a little ice cream and we're in business!

Cheryl Houston said...

Tera- They are SO good! Everyone's going to LOVE them! Damn fitness challenge!

Bakerella has some great ideas for cakes. Keep us updated if you use her ideas.

Katie said...

Kelly, here is Claudia's cookie and icing recipe:

Cookies-

2/4 cup butter
3 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 and 1/3 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 teasp vanilla
3 and 1/2 cups flour
2 teasp baking powder
1/2 teasp salt

Mix butter, cream and cheese and sour cream
Add sugar and Mix
Add 2 egg yolks and vanilla, mix
Add flour, baking powder, and salt, mix
Chill for 2 hours
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes

Icing-

3 lbs. powdered sugar
4 heaps of meringue powder
3/4 teasp clear vanilla
3/4 teasp butter flavoring
1/2 teasp almond flavoring
1/2 cup warm water

Put 2 lb of powdered sugar in a bowl
Add meringue and mix
Add 1/2 cup warm water, flavorings and rest of sugar, mix
Add warm water until the consistency is what you want it to be

Anonymous said...

I have a SIMPLE recipe for glazed angel food cake that is SO yummy. I've used the glaze on store-bought angel food or made angel food cupcakes from the box mix and both were delish - and the glaze can be colored with food coloring! The glaze has butter, sugar and pet milk, but I can't remember the measurements - I'll post it tonight!

Brian K. Root said...

I've come to the conclusion that we definitely need to make a HLA cookbook... These recipes are looking so scrumptious!

I wanna try them all!

I, myself, like making my own trail mixes, with M&Ms/peanuts/etc. etc. You can put your own twist on a trail mix when you make it yourself. Thus, you can make a red & white trail mix.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

There has been resoundingly positive feedback for Brian's suggestion that we create a HLA cookbook.

I've already had people email volunteering to coordinate. More tomorrow.

Way to go, Brian!!!!

Julie said...

i cant wait to see what tomorrow brings in the way of an HLA cookbook ... i LOVE the idea!!!

Brian K. Root said...

very cool...

I know it's super late and people probably won't see my post. But, my grandmother's high school class sold recipe books as a class fundraiser.

Maybe we could choose a charity to sell our cookbook for, and donate all proceeds. If we can make the cookbook very low (or no) cost, this could be great!