Saturday, February 7, 2009

Red Carpet Roll Up

I love holidays. To me holidays are like snow days. They provide the impetus, a reason - even though we don't need one - to stop and do something we've been putting off for some time. On a snow day we can sort through family pictures and not feel like we are wasting time. We can do an art project, play a game, watch old movies, write letters, or bake and not feel like there is something else we are supposed to be doing. A snow day is an unexpected gift of time.

Come to think of it, snow days are sounding an awful lot like the Spirit of #218.

Holidays have the same affect on me. Around holidays I find myself digging deep into the recedes of my mind to think about unsuspecting people in my life who deserve recognition. Sure, I could - and probably should - do this all year round. But I don't. I get busy. I get in a routine, calling the same people, writing the same people, and occasionally (if I'm really on top of things) getting a package in the mail to a small, but familiar group of family and friends.

In a typical week I don't make time to send a short note to Bob Younger, my great boss when I was 16, 17, 18 and working as a counselor at the Samuel Field Y summer camp. Too much effort. My fourth grade teacher, Ms. Jahoda, sensed from my first day in a new school that I was uncomfortable and she made it her business to help me fit in. While I am appreciative of her gestures and periodically think about her, tracking down Ms. Jahoda - 33 years later - is not on my short list in a typical work week. And what about Roger Winston and Ted Miller who were so influential in my development as a Student Affairs professional? They are both retired, but still they deserve reminders that their working years mattered... that the forty some odd years they got up every day and went to work actually influenced who I am as a person today. Yes, I - we - should make time for these sort of gestures in our every day life, but most of us don't.

That's why I love holidays. Because, at holidays I stretch myself. Sure, I still shoot a small treat off to the usual suspects, but I also try to take a snow day. That is to say, I try to use holidays to select a (just one) random, deserved person from my past and to send them a thoughtful note in the mail.

That's what I'll be doing today. While my boys are thumb-printing their class valentines, I will be tracking down Mrs. Stump from Peabody, Massachusetts. She is the mother of a resident who lived on my floor when I was an resident assistant at Arizona State (about 20 years ago!!!). Tracy's mother came to visit a number of times while Tracy was in college and, for whatever reason, we made a connection. Years later Tracy invited me to be in her wedding. I spent a beautiful summer weekend at their home with Tracy, her mom and dad, and her two sisters. It ranks right up their as among one of my favorite weekend getaways. I want to tell Mrs. Stump how memorable the weekend was and that my remembrance of her warmth and hospitality, that June weekend, stays with me as a reminder of the kind of home I would like to create.

Fact of the matter is, if you've ever received a note like this in the mail, you know it could be written on a piece of torn out loose leaf paper with smudge marks, and be ridden with errors. It wouldn't matter, because the very act of receiving such a heartfelt note, is the real gift. But, why go to such lengths and then fall short in the "packaging" department.
At the end of last season I found these Valentine Puzzle Cards on sale at Starbucks for $1.00. They are heart shaped puzzles with red envelopes. Isn't that a FUN way to get a valentine? Not only will the message be unexpected, but the anticipation will build as Mrs. Stump pieces the puzzle together. Side note: If I didn't the pre-made cardboard puzzles, I would make one out of red construction paper.

That's Valentine's Day. Now the Virtually Groundbreaking Award Show... At Christmastime my sister in-law shared a great drink recipe for Limoncello. It's a combination of cranberry juice, vodka, and lemon liquor. Let me go on the record for saying, I am no drinker... much to my husband's dismay. BUT... this drink, I loved!!! Added bonus... it's red. I think that's what we'll be serving up at our house (along with champagne, of course). How about you? What will you be serving at your Award Party?

This is it. Today the curtain closes on Red Carpet Week. It's been a week full of discussion about Valentine's Day (now only 7 days away) and the Virtually Groundbreaking People's Choice Award (now only 11 days away). Get some rest this weekend. Next week will be busy.

Signing off until Monday...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooooh i love those heart shaped puzzles. Thats too cute! Maybe ill have to make one to send to someone i love for valentine's day!

hmmm...ill be joining you on my own for people's choice; im not having a party bc thats a busy day/night and ill barely make it home in time for it as it is. BUT maybe ill have to try this drink that you are making, dr. b.

Peggy said...

Limoncello- isn't that the drink Danny Davito had while somewhat typsy at his interview on The View, he had been out with George Clooney drinking the night/morning before! (hee hee)

How do organize all of your great finds? And better yet, remember you have them a year later? Did you get your craft closet designed??

With talk about the $1 mailboxes from Target... I bought a few last year, you can see how I decorated them on my latest blog post...
http://prdesigns.blogspot.com

We are thawing out in the mid west, a heat wave... 9am and it's 55 degrees in the sun.... spring is such a tease....I see grass!

Julie said...

For what it's worth, I took some time this past spring to write some of those letters you were speaking of, Dr. B. I felt that after achieving such success as graduating with my doctorate, that there were some influential people from my past who deserved to know that they had helped me get to that point in my life. I actually received a letter in response from one ... Mrs. Hall, my 9th grade earth science teacher. It was wonderful!

Cheryl Houston said...

Y'all have to go and check out how Peggy embellished the mailboxes! Way too cute!!

One year I made these really ellaborate Valentines for my kids daycare. I had saved all of the formula cans and covered them with felt and decorations. They hung from the bottom of the can and when you opened the lid, hearts fell out and hung from a strign attached to the inside. They were cute.

I'll be drinking what you're serving. :)

maureen said...

Many years ago Claudia made me a birthday card that was a puzzle. It was so cool. I have it "archived" somewhere. If I come across it I will take a pic and Claudia can post it.

Have a great weekend HLA